Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Communication

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lynne18/01/2021 04:59:29
101 forum posts
32 photos

My wife got quite cross last evening, when I did,nt hear her shouting/hammering on my workshop/shed door. I was tool grinding at the time. I am now looking at wireless door bell systems. Those not requiring batteries are attractive,but are they durable in the long term?. What I would really like is a system which has both sound and flashing light. Does anyone know if there is anything out there. along these lines? Any help appreciated. Lynne

Roderick Jenkins18/01/2021 06:00:10
2176 forum posts
608 photos

I've been very happy with a 1byeone doorbell. Many options available, we have a plug in unit as the main house doorbell and a battery repeater in the workshop. Other wireless bells we have had have been plagued by spurious rings from random wireless pickup but the 1byeone is immune.

Rod

martin perman18/01/2021 07:48:42
2042 forum posts
86 photos

I bought my wife and I cheap walkie talkies, my wife has physical disabilities so cant come and bang on the garage door.

Martin P

JasonB18/01/2021 07:57:55
22605 forum posts
2643 photos
1 articles

Could you not just leave the workshop door unlocked then she could open it rather than bang and shout from outside?

My family tend to ring my mobile if they want me as it saves them having to go outside.

pgk pgk18/01/2021 08:07:05
2553 forum posts
293 photos

If ya can't hear wifey banging on the door then I doubt you'ld hear a walkie? Simplest might be a bright coloured light inside with switch outside so when toggled the obvious colour change inside shed draws operators attention.

Another simple alternative might be to extend house internet to shed such that a Whatsapp, Signal app etc text/call goes to your mobile with a loud ring alert. If shed is on the same phase as house then it's relatively cheap to plug a pair of powerline adapters in : no call charges and no problem with cell phone signal strength and no need for wifey to stroll to the shed.

When we moved out rurally I did buy a 4 handset walkie system - turned out to be next to useless in as much as you could guarantee the other person wasn;t near it or carrying it or listening out for it when you (rarely) needed to check in from a few fields away. It's sitting in a cupboard somewhere unused for the last 9yrs.

pgk

Speedy Builder518/01/2021 08:18:32
2594 forum posts
208 photos

These bells don't require batteries

Door Bells

Ron Laden18/01/2021 08:24:47
2297 forum posts
452 photos

Jason beat me to it but isn't the simplest way have the door unlocked, I know what my wife would say if I told her she had to press a button or whatever before she could communicate with me.

martin perman18/01/2021 08:25:02
2042 forum posts
86 photos

No problem my wife not using Walkie talkies as she spends most of her day in her chair as walking very difficult.

Martin P

Martin Kyte18/01/2021 08:29:32
2728 forum posts
48 photos

I suggest she flicks the breaker in the house.

You will soon sort the problem out then.

;O)
Martin

Former Member18/01/2021 09:02:19
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Clive Brown 118/01/2021 09:25:07
807 forum posts
39 photos

How about one of these from Screwfix?

not done it yet18/01/2021 09:39:58
6749 forum posts
20 photos

We have a lidl wireless door bell/light as a ‘you are wanted’ system. The sounder/flasher runs off three or four AA cells so not a too difficult task to run it from a wall-wart or similar (connected to the workshop light switch, maybe?).

Ron Laden18/01/2021 09:48:16
2297 forum posts
452 photos

Agree with br, a locked door sounds dangerous to me, if God forbid you had an accident or medical collapse no one could help until emergency services arrive.

Former Member18/01/2021 09:58:46
1085 forum posts

Hopper18/01/2021 10:04:55
6220 forum posts
322 photos

Or if the door simply must be locked for some reason, give SWMBO a key.

Dr_GMJN18/01/2021 11:24:28
1267 forum posts

I would never lock the door from the house to the garage for reasons already mentioned, but there were a couple of occasions when I've been engrossed in machining parts or grinding things, and turned around to notice one or other of the kids standing behind me. Obviously I subsequently told them not to come near if I was doing something on a machine...

Lynne18/01/2021 14:23:15
101 forum posts
32 photos

Thank's for all your responses. I will not be going down the the length of string and a 'tug' route, and the internet extension,cell phone, and powerline adaptors etc, I would struggle with. I have 'stable door ' access to my shed, lower half can be bolted inside, and the top half kept closed by a strong ball catch, so I am not 'locked in', but my wife suffers severe athritis in the hands and pulling on the door is something she avoids. I do not see using a bell push is demeaning, its used to summon someone to the front door, and in many establishments to obtain counter service. I like Rod's solution, and that is what I will be getting, and when tea and cake is being served, all my wife has to do is push the button and I will come running. Thanks again, regards, Lynne.

Howard Lewis18/01/2021 15:43:17
6040 forum posts
14 photos

Whilst we have a cheap wired intercom between the house and the workshop. slightly better than shouting!, so that I can hear the front doorbell, there is a cheap m baby alarm plugged into a socket by the door with a receiver plugged into a socket in the workshop.

(Found out the hard way that "Wireless" door bells (and cordless phones ) don't work through brick walls and wooden walls even over few metres, despite the "30 metre" claims )

Howard

Former Member18/01/2021 15:53:56
1085 forum posts

Rik Shaw18/01/2021 16:12:02
1480 forum posts
398 photos

We have two of these, one is plugged into a socket in the workshop and the other by the side of my wifes desk down in the house. If either of us needs to holler she just presses her button or I can press mine which hangs round my neck on a cord.

Alarm volume is more than adequate and the units strobe lights are brilliant for the mutton and jeff. Best of all - they are cheap as chips!

Only ever used once in anger when we had an unexpected visitor and I was summoned to come and open the bar cocktail.

Rik

**LINK**

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest