By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

New Member Kent

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Honychurch17/01/2021 17:32:24
4 forum posts

Good evening members, thank you for letting me join your community. I have signed up to learn more about some live model engines my siblings and I have been left by my father. There is a locomotive and tender, a traction engine and a stationary engine. Its the usual story, I didn't ask enough questions whilst Dad was around and now my knowledge is patchy. They have been in my Dads ownership since at least 1966 and never steamed. Any help would be much appreciated. Firstly I am trying to understand the gauging of sizes. With a locomotive is the Inch gauge the track width? And if so how does the sizing work with the Traction Engine please?

Paul Kemp17/01/2021 19:14:03
600 forum posts
18 photos

Andrew,

Gauge for loco's (larger scale anyway) is generally the distance between the rails, common sizes are 2 1/2", 3 1/2", 5" and 7 1/4"

Traction engines generally are scaled by 1" to foot so 1" scale is 1/12 full size, 1 1/2" is 1/8 full size, 2" is 1/6 full size, 3" is 1/4 full size, 4" is 1/3 full size, 6" is half!

Unfortunately the size of the model is not always a good guide to scale as with railway loco's narrow gauge prototypes are common and a 2" scale ploughing engine will be close to the same overall dimensions as a 4" scale small steam tractor!

If you want to steam any of them you will need a boiler test to get insurance to run them in public. Even if you want to use them in private it's a good idea to at least do your own pressure test before lighting up! Check any paperwork your dad may have had, it may be they have been previously tested which will make re test easier!

Paul.

Andrew Honychurch17/01/2021 19:33:16
4 forum posts

hi Paul and thank you for the very detailed reply. I had thought that would be how the scaling worked, must have been some subliminal message from Dad! I can easily measure the rail width, I suspect she is a 3.1/2 inch. I recall Dad saying they were quite difficult to run and balance because its not very wide. We have some carriages as well

The Traction will be much harder to size , unless you are an expert, as I could not guess the size of the original . Perhaps I can post a photo. I will try to load up my photos to a remote server and stick them on this thread.

As for steaming, yes I would like to learn how to at least do my own pressure test. I noticed the Traction has some , what looks like asbestos lagging underneath which is a bit of a concern. Need to know what to do about that!

many thanks Andrew

Grindstone Cowboy17/01/2021 20:13:36
491 forum posts
44 photos

Welcome Andrew

Here's a link on how to post photos on here - it's not the most intuitive of processes, but you get used to it.

Rob

Roger Best17/01/2021 20:34:22
216 forum posts
31 photos

Fascinating.

Put a ruler in the photo or a tape measure, that will help.

If he had it in 1966 then it may be asbestos. best leave alone until you are ready.

Cheers

Rog

br17/01/2021 21:37:03
461 forum posts
3 photos

Traction engine should not be a problem as wheel diameters and overall length is usually enough.

Basically 3/4inch, 1 inch, then 1.5 inch, then 2 inch - all a sit on the bench one man lift type, followed by the stay on the ground sizes of 3 inch and 4 inch.

Photos will be a big help.

br

Andrew Honychurch17/01/2021 22:13:47
4 forum posts

I hope this will work. I have loaded some photos to my remote server via my phone as the laptop is on strike.

Maybe this will work !

https://app.photobucket.com/u/vanquishspirit/a/e1c00631-5d66-4db0-a7a1-d536f714b080/p/5eccd1e2-5b04-46f6-a3fb-4dc3e7c9e87f

Edited By Andrew Honychurch on 17/01/2021 22:14:52

Edited By Andrew Honychurch on 17/01/2021 22:38:43

noel shelley17/01/2021 22:35:06
387 forum posts
9 photos

Your initial questions have been answered, so I will say welcome aboard ship mate ! If you have a question then someone here will be able to answer it and remember There is no such thing as a silly question only silly answers. So do not be afraid to ask !!! Best wishes Noel.

Edited By noel shelley on 17/01/2021 22:35:53

Andrew Honychurch17/01/2021 22:41:25
4 forum posts

Thank you all for the help and advice. I hope the photos are now there to be seen. I can add more in the next few days.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest