Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Workshop Electrics

Wiring Question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ian Usmar16/01/2021 19:20:39
68 forum posts
10 photos

So at present I have a consumer unit in my workshop / garage but it is in the totally wrong location and also needs updating. I have a quick question if I move it can I just run some temporary cable from the new unit to a junction box connecting to the current wiring whilst I sort out some other issues, I need power as there is a fridge freezer that need to stay plugged in ?

Kind Regards

br16/01/2021 19:33:13
457 forum posts
3 photos

Yes, with care, but If you have a local sparky, I would run it past him first.

br

Edited By br on 16/01/2021 19:39:54

Steviegtr16/01/2021 20:23:38
1905 forum posts
250 photos

Buy some 30A joint boxes from your local hardware shop & some green earth sleeving. Take care & always work dead. Never live.

Steve.

Grindstone Cowboy16/01/2021 21:03:19
486 forum posts
44 photos

Two suggestions (whoever does the work):

Include a separate double pole isolation switch in the feed to the new/altered CU so future work can be undertaken more easily;

Consider a suitable extension lead run from the house to power the freezer for the time it takes to get the new circuit installed - maybe a couple of days at most? Removes the temptation / opportunity to work on a potentially live circuit.

Rob

Martin Kyte16/01/2021 22:05:05
2197 forum posts
38 photos

And another suggestion fit an RCBO before the Main RCCB/RCD and MCB's just to run the lights. This will ensure that the lights stay on if the main RCCB/RCD is tripped. Avoids suddenly finding yourself standing in the dark.

regards Martin

Emgee16/01/2021 23:16:32
1909 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Martin Kyte on 16/01/2021 22:05:05:

And another suggestion fit an RCBO before the Main RCCB/RCD and MCB's just to run the lights. This will ensure that the lights stay on if the main RCCB/RCD is tripped. Avoids suddenly finding yourself standing in the dark.

regards Martin

Better still fit a Non Maintained Emergency light with power supplied from the lighting circuit so if the lighting circuit power fails the Emergency light will provide sufficient light to allow safe shutdown.

Emgee

phil hughes 217/01/2021 02:24:50
11 forum posts

hi

i use these British General 16-Module 10-Way Populated High Integrity Dual RCD Consumer Unit | Domestic Consumer Units | Screwfix.com

split the heavy power draw machines to separate halves,and also split the lighting,so if you trip 1 rcd the other is still live with lights etc.if you do use one dont forget to split the neutrals to the corresponding side.

i would do a new rewire to the new consumer unit and when your ready,then run the cables to the old location,use one of these 30A 3-Terminal Heavy Duty Junction Box Black | Junction Boxes | Screwfix.com

ONLY CONNECT OLD TO NEW ON A DEAD SYSTEM

hope it is of some use

Howard Lewis17/01/2021 10:40:37
4397 forum posts
4 photos

Like Emgee, my shop (with no windows ) has a mains maintained Emergency light. If the mains drops out for any reason, it provides light so that everything can be switched off, and an exit made in safety.

Howard

V8Eng17/01/2021 10:47:30
1525 forum posts
30 photos

If you live in the U.K. this might be notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regs maybe be best to check that out first.

Martin Kyte17/01/2021 11:36:10
2197 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Emgee on 16/01/2021 23:16:32:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 16/01/2021 22:05:05:

regards Martin

Better still fit a Non Maintained Emergency light with power supplied from the lighting circuit so if the lighting circuit power fails the Emergency light will provide sufficient light to allow safe shutdown.

Emgee

I suggest you do both.

regards Martin

Frances IoM17/01/2021 11:58:28
993 forum posts
27 photos
Some years ago I replaced the MCB breakers with RCBO's and by removing the original double width high current RCBOs gained space to add additional circuits so could split lighting circuits so cellar workshop unaffected by rest of house (I also added in an emergency maintained light - cheap but does need regular testing) + to add an additional ring circuit for the workshop as well as isolating the original cct from the rest of the house.

Edited By Frances IoM on 17/01/2021 11:58:48

JA17/01/2021 12:38:02
1098 forum posts
58 photos

Is it true that machine toolsin industry will have to use 12v DC lighting?

My workshop electrics were installed by me 25 years ago and works quite satisfactorly. However I do get fed up with the slow noisy start up of the strip lights and I am very aware of the better light from modern LED strips. I use mains LED lighting on the lathe and will fit such lighting to the milling machine soon. The change to 12v DC for the machines appears to be a no-brainer.

Thanks for the information about non-maintained emergency lights. Two will be ordered this afternoon.

JA

Oldiron17/01/2021 13:43:47
719 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by V8Eng on 17/01/2021 10:47:30:

If you live in the U.K. this might be notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regs maybe be best to check that out first.

Only notifiable if the work is in a bathroom, kitchen or outside wiring/sockets/lights in garden as far as I can remember. If the worshop/garage is connected in a properly installed manner with the correct protection at each end it is considered to be inside. I see no problem with moving or replacing the comsumer unit if it is done properly. I would suggest using an extension cord to power the freezer as suggested by Grinstone Cowboy.

regards

mgnbuk17/01/2021 14:13:57
927 forum posts
65 photos

This description of notifiable work

states that replacement of a consumer unit is notifiable under Part P

Nigel B.

V8Eng17/01/2021 14:17:53
1525 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Oldiron on 17/01/2021 13:43:47:

Only notifiable if the work is in a bathroom, kitchen or outside wiring/sockets/lights in garden as far as I can remember. If the worshop/garage is connected in a properly installed manner with the correct protection at each end it is considered to be inside. I see no problem with moving or replacing the comsumer unit if it is done properly. I would suggest using an extension cord to power the freezer as suggested by Grinstone Cowboy.

regards

I have not needed to look at Part P for a long time and understand that it changes, but consumer units used to be specifically mentioned as requiring notification. That’s why I suggested checking.

mgnbuk must type a lot faster than I do.

Edited By V8Eng on 17/01/2021 14:20:00

Edited By V8Eng on 17/01/2021 14:28:11

Oldiron17/01/2021 14:45:14
719 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by V8Eng on 17/01/2021 14:17:53:
Posted by Oldiron on 17/01/2021 13:43:47:

regards

I have not needed to look at Part P for a long time and understand that it changes, but consumer units used to be specifically mentioned as requiring notification. That’s why I suggested checking.

mgnbuk must type a lot faster than I do.

Edited By V8Eng on 17/01/2021 14:20:00

Edited By V8Eng on 17/01/2021 14:28:11

I have always understood that the main consumer unit was reportable but any secondary ones are not.

" All other electrical installation work is non notifiable - namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, and replacements, repairs and maintenance anywhere. " Special locations include kitchen, bathroom & garden instalations.

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 17/01/2021 14:46:23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest