ebay purchases : VAT

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan16/01/2021 14:29:16
17300 forum posts
778 photos

As requested by Vic, in a recent thread:

My ‘eyepiece tube to C-mount’ adapter tubes arrived safely today

They were handled in China by ‘ORANGE CONNEX’ and in the UK by Royal Mail’s RM 24 service.

It appears that system is running exactly as it should.

MichaelG.

Mark Rand16/01/2021 15:35:31
961 forum posts
8 photos

I should have another datum in a week or two. Not worried about VAT and handling charges, but more than a bit miffed that it's easier to order stainless steel toolwrap for heat treating from California than the UK.

Vic16/01/2021 16:17:25
2734 forum posts
1 photos

Sounds good Michael. yes

Grindstone Cowboy20/01/2021 13:41:49
490 forum posts
44 photos

Not strictly engineering, but I ordered some PSU cables from Corsair, they arrived through my door two days later and I was surprised to see they had been shipped airmail from the Netherlands. Nothing on the website to indicate this, and there was nothing to pay. Total value was below £15.

Rob

Edit - apologies, didn't realise the thread was strictly for Ebay purchases.

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 20/01/2021 13:42:51

Michael Gilligan20/01/2021 13:55:30
17300 forum posts
778 photos
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 20/01/2021 13:41:49:

Not strictly engineering, but I ordered some PSU cables from Corsair, they arrived through my door two days later and I was surprised to see they had been shipped airmail from the Netherlands. Nothing on the website to indicate this, and there was nothing to pay. Total value was below £15.

Rob

Edit - apologies, didn't realise the thread was strictly for Ebay purchases.

No problem, Rob

... It’s the general arrangement for ‘imports’ that is of most interest, whether via ebay or elsewhere.

MichaelG.

Chuck Taper26/01/2021 09:21:05
23 forum posts
7 photos

A €375 purchase from UK via eBay cost we slightly north of €130 euro in extra charges "Customs&Taxes"

Unlikely to be doing that again.

Just FYI.

Frank C.

pgk pgk26/01/2021 09:41:21
2059 forum posts
290 photos

Isn't it a case that vat is not applicable to exported items which are then taxed on import at the rate applying to the importing country? Whether that's collected at the point of sale or at delivery is a different matter. That gov has finally got itself sorted to block the loophole of folk getting away without paying vat and customs duties from non EU shouldn't be such an issue (you were tax evading before)... albeit adding to end user cost. The fact that the delivery company adds a handling fee is a necessary evil (particularly on small purchases) and of course there's the extra paperwork for export to europe that didn't exist before Brexit.

pgk

Douglas Johnston26/01/2021 11:29:03
729 forum posts
34 photos

Am I right in thinking that if I buy an item at less than the threshold of £137 via ebay from China there will only be VAT to pay, and that will be collected by ebay. The postman will not be standing at my doorstep demanding more money for import duty and handling charge.

Doug

Mike Poole26/01/2021 11:49:15
2892 forum posts
68 photos

Now the system is being tightened up it should level the playing field for uk based sellers who have had to contend with widespread tax evasion undercutting the honest sellers. It may be well worth looking at uk suppliers as most things can be found here. I recently bought some parts for the ELS by James Clough in the USA via his eBay listing, the cost near doubled by the time it had been through the proper process of tax and handling. I accept that that is how the system works and sucked up the financial hit for something unique that I wanted. If we now start to adjust to paying the proper price for things directly imported then we may find shopping in the uk is the best solution with full consumer protection thrown in for free.

Mike

Ady126/01/2021 11:52:38
4228 forum posts
593 photos

And don't forget when you come back from abroad and they want a list of anything over 100 quid or whatever

one phrase in the box

"personal effects"

And open everything so its useless, crack the top of that whisky bottle and take the cellophane off the cigarettes

Frances IoM26/01/2021 11:55:12
996 forum posts
27 photos
VAT on 2nd hand goods has been standard for years - have you never bought anything from a public auction - the only exceptions being food + I think items placed by private individuals (most auction goods tended to come via commercial clearance companies) though you also pay VAT on the buyers commission - at the local auctions you merely remembered that you paid 50% more than the bid price and bid accordingly - often new buyers didn't realise this and the unpaid for items would reappear in the following week when the trade dealers would put in their lower bids

Edited By Frances IoM on 26/01/2021 11:56:10

Clive Hartland26/01/2021 13:24:02
2646 forum posts
40 photos

Has anyone looked at the bottom part of a spirit bottle label, I noticed that there was a series of small cuts in the label. Sensing that it could be used for checking it's origin I cut a small piece off the bottom of the label just in case.

Emgee26/01/2021 13:59:38
1919 forum posts
243 photos
Posted by Mike Poole on 26/01/2021 11:49:15:

Now the system is being tightened up it should level the playing field for uk based sellers who have had to contend with widespread tax evasion undercutting the honest sellers. It may be well worth looking at uk suppliers as most things can be found here. I recently bought some parts for the ELS by James Clough in the USA via his eBay listing, the cost near doubled by the time it had been through the proper process of tax and handling. I accept that that is how the system works and sucked up the financial hit for something unique that I wanted. If we now start to adjust to paying the proper price for things directly imported then we may find shopping in the uk is the best solution with full consumer protection thrown in for free.

Mike

AFAIK nothing has changed if importing goods from countries not in the EU, there has always been the opportunity for customs control to add import duty and VAT + a collection charge by the delivering company.

When I was VAT registered it was the case that if exporting to a non EU country the goods could be Zero rated so no VAT collected.
Likewise if buying from an EU member country goods could be imported to the UK Zero rated provided the importer's VAT registration details were provided to the seller.

If now buying goods from an EU member country we are having to pay additional VAT on a selling price that in most cases already includes VAT collected by the country where the sale is made, in some cases this 21%.

So from the above it is clear goods from PRC will still cost less, even with 20% added and collected by eBay, than goods from the EU countries.

Emgee

Vic26/01/2021 14:32:52
2734 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 26/01/2021 11:29:03:

Am I right in thinking that if I buy an item at less than the threshold of £137 via ebay from China there will only be VAT to pay, and that will be collected by ebay. The postman will not be standing at my doorstep demanding more money for import duty and handling charge.

Doug

Yes, this is what should happen. On the eBay website it should say somewhere that the listed price includes VAT.

This thread was originally started by Michael for folks to hopefully confirm this is actually happening.

Neil Wyatt26/01/2021 15:04:59
18497 forum posts
720 photos
78 articles
Posted by Emgee on 26/01/2021 13:59:38:

If now buying goods from an EU member country we are having to pay additional VAT on a selling price that in most cases already includes VAT collected by the country where the sale is made, in some cases this 21%.

Suppliers are playing catchup.

Larger EU based companies are now typically showing prices excluding local VAT which is added at the checkout for goods valued under £350. You should not be charged double VAT.

Goods over £350 you have to pay VAT, import duty and courier's collection fee on receipt.

Someone recently complained they were struggling to sell s/h on eBay as buyers were saying the price was nearly the new online price form Europe (as the latter was being quoted ex-vat).

I've noticed one price for something I bought from Germany last year has dropped from £89 to £75 which is a little less than 20%...

It's rather like when we went metric and everyone rounded up...

Neil

Vic02/02/2021 13:33:24
2734 forum posts
1 photos

I’ve ordered a collet Chuck for £7.54 from PRC but it’s not due to land here until next month. WSS what happens, fingers crossed!

Oily Rag02/02/2021 16:32:23
310 forum posts
126 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 26/01/2021 15:04:59:

It's rather like when we went metric and everyone rounded up...

Neil

You mean 15/16th" became 1" smiley

SillyOldDuffer02/02/2021 17:42:26
6866 forum posts
1539 photos

There are two different issues here:

• The VAT collection system has changed to make it harder for UK customers to avoid paying tax when buying from abroad, and,
  • Leaving the European Union means the new border adds steps and charges, some of which are themselves liable to VAT.

So two sets of changes impacting UK imports and exports at the same time. It's confusing!

Whilst the effect on imports is of most interest to UK forum members there is the other side of the coin. Members living in Europe may be interested in the following advice I noticed buying carbon fibre this week from Easy Composites. It's clearer than most I've read and gives a costed example. I think the advice generally explains the uncertainty causing a certain amount of bother to business with the EU at the moment. But there is light at the end of the tunnel - this company is confident they can reduce the cost and inconvenience in future. The original is here, but because the advice is likely to change I've copied what it says today, 2 Feb 2021:

ecadvice1.jpg

ec2.jpg

ec3.jpg

Basic message - don't assume the whole system is permanently wrecked if buying from the UK (or Europe) causes aggro during early 2021. The possibility of unexpected 'brokerage charges' is my main concern. Things should straighten out in due course.

We live in interesting times!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 02/02/2021 17:43:02

Michael Gilligan02/02/2021 18:00:10
17300 forum posts
778 photos

Thanks for sharing that, Dave ... it's useful and written in reasonably plain English.

The only thing I might add is that we should see it as no surprise

This general arrangement was scheduled for 'Europe' from July 2021, and Brexit just made the UK an 'early adopter'

MichaelG.

Vic09/02/2021 11:50:45
2734 forum posts
1 photos

Well the collet Chuck I ordered just popped through the letterbox. No additional charges and it arrived in seven days!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest