Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Digital Height Gauge Recommendations?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete.16/01/2021 17:04:06
408 forum posts
57 photos

Andrew T, I bought a sylvac digital caliper from Allendale just before Christmas while on sale for £55, I read somewhere they have a lifetime warranty and are Swiss made, might be worth a look if you're in the market for some digital calipers, they claim to have extremely long battery life also, I am very impressed with the quality, for £55 delivered, absolute bargain.

As far as the vernier height gauge, Shardlow might be worth a look, they have a rack and pinion adjust mechanism, so you can adjust it one handed without holding the base, must have cost a fortune new, they turn up on ebay in their box with the bits for £50-£70ish now and then, it's far superior to the mitutoyo one it replaced.

Vernier height gauge

Steviegtr16/01/2021 20:21:00
1911 forum posts
253 photos

These are 2 Mitutoyo 500mm 20" that i picked up cheap. One of each. But i could not say which i would choose if buying new. Although the left one would cost an arm & leg.

Steve.

mitutoyo height gauge 1.jpg

Edited By Steviegtr on 16/01/2021 20:21:31

Martin Kyte16/01/2021 21:53:51
2211 forum posts
38 photos

I was given a vernier hight guage some years ago when our workshop went digital. At 18" it's a little large for my surface plate but I would not change it for a digital just to acquire the ability to zero set. I does take a little longer to set by vernier than glancing at a readout but then it's not called on for use that often so what the heck.

regards Martin

duncan webster16/01/2021 22:55:38
3066 forum posts
40 photos
Posted by Pete. on 16/01/2021 17:04:06:

Andrew T, I bought a sylvac digital caliper .........., I read somewhere they have a lifetime warranty and are Swiss made, ...

Anyone know if that's for real? I've got one which is probably 20+ years old which has expired, if it has a lifetime guarantee I might contact them. Of course as it's dead its guarantee might have died with it!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest