Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

A finished project - at last!

A corliss valved tandem condensing compound

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ramon Wilson04/01/2021 19:22:39
1283 forum posts
367 photos

Hi - I have just finished this engine after an elapsed time of three years - thought someone might be interested in seeing it.

dscn0967.jpg

dscn0972.jpg

It's built to the Arnold Throp design first featured in Model Engineer in the eighties and the build is described on Model Engine Maker forum

dscn0978.jpg

dscn0989.jpg

I guess it has taken about 18-20 months in total over that three years or so. There are some mods made to personalise it in areas - all described on MEM here should you want more info. There is also a video on there of it running on page 39 post #581. For some reason this computer will not post the video url.

I've had the castings for many years and did come close to parting with them but a change of heart saw a tentative start on the machining and now I have a finished engine as a result. Just goes to show - never part with something on a whim.

Regards to all - Ramon (Tug)

Missed one - the overall view - the base is a little over a metre long btw

dscn1009.jpg

Video Added

Edited By JasonB on 04/01/2021 19:50:56

Baz04/01/2021 19:40:52
714 forum posts
2 photos

Absolutely beautiful, did the Arnold Throp design go on to become the Southworth range of engines?

Robert Atkinson 204/01/2021 19:52:07
1199 forum posts
20 photos

Very nice! well done.

old mart04/01/2021 19:59:18
3728 forum posts
233 photos

Superb quality, could you show us the machines you used in making it?

Roger Best04/01/2021 20:15:55
369 forum posts
56 photos

Brilliant!! disgust

Joe McKean04/01/2021 20:18:53
56 forum posts

Beautiful looking engine, you should be very proud of the workmanship involved.

Nigel Graham 204/01/2021 20:31:48
2056 forum posts
28 photos

Magnificent work!

An unusual touch, too, the planking. We see most miniature mill-engines with open flywheels.

It was fitted to some full-size engines to reduce wind noise created by the faster engines. It may have reduced drag, too, but I don't know if the manufacturers had that in mind, and that effect was probably insignificant anyway.

Nicholas Farr04/01/2021 21:00:55
3330 forum posts
1531 photos

Hi, be nice to see it at one of the major exhibitions, if and/or we get anther one, but really looks good.

Regards Nick.

KEITH BEAUMONT04/01/2021 21:12:32
162 forum posts
38 photos

That is one superb piece of work Tug. Love the close ups on the video. You can think you are watching a full size engine..

Keith

DMB04/01/2021 22:44:29
1300 forum posts
1 photos

Wow! What a lovely model. All the studs poke out of the nuts by the same amount, piping very nicely executed, painting and brightwork excellent. Well done, really worth entry to MEX, if it happens, must be an award winner. Wish my efforts were half as good.

Steviegtr04/01/2021 22:59:19
2423 forum posts
336 photos

Absolutely stunning. That is a piece of art.

Stebve.

Ady104/01/2021 23:02:15
5071 forum posts
734 photos

Wow. Looks fabulous

Bill Pudney04/01/2021 23:52:04
609 forum posts
24 photos

Beautiful work Tug!! I would love to have followed the build, but for some reason I have been banned from the MEM site!!

cheers

Bill

John Penfold05/01/2021 04:49:19
33 forum posts
5 photos

A good feeling then. Nice

Colin D05/01/2021 06:59:28
16 forum posts
8 photos

Wow ! Brilliant job, very inspiring.

I will definitely have a read of the build diary.

Colin

Brian H05/01/2021 07:01:37
2312 forum posts
112 photos

What else could I add? Absolutely stunning. What's next?

Brian

JasonB05/01/2021 07:21:51
22605 forum posts
2643 photos
1 articles

Bill, they had a few members get the banned message due to some spam issues a few months back, e-mail the contact address and they should be able to get you back in, If not PM me your e-mail and user name and I'll ask Jo to sort you out.

Old Mart if you follow Ramon's link you can see his machines in action over the 40 odd page build thread.

Kettrinboy05/01/2021 08:27:10
94 forum posts
49 photos

A very nicely finished engine just like the real ones were back in the day , I admire the patience of builders who stick with these long projects , I haven't got much patience so haven't done a big project yet.

J Hancock05/01/2021 08:36:40
832 forum posts

A beautiful piece of work.

As we know , starting something is easy, only the end is The True Glory.

Ramon Wilson05/01/2021 08:42:04
1283 forum posts
367 photos

'Morning Guys - Obviously pleased to know you enjoyed a look - thank you for all your comments though I had to take a break at times it certainly was an enjoyable model to make.

As Jason says (thanks for posting the video BTW Jason - real problem for me at the moment) most of the build is over on MEM but thats a lot to go through so

Baz - The original design was Arnold Throps who did it at the behest of Terry Fleet of Fleet Engineering. Terry produce patterns for all versions but lost all of them as well as a serious amount of money when the foundry closed overnight and everything inside 'disappeared'. Arnold made patterns for the single cylinder he described in ME and these were bought by Peter Southworth at the sale of Arnold's estate. Peter did not intend to offer these for sale but a chance conversation with him lead to him providing me with a full set of drawings and then making patterns for the rest of the engine parts to sell.

Old Mart - I have three machines - my Super 7, a truly faithful servant bought circa 1980 and still in good condition today

dscf1994.jpg

An old - possibly wartime - Linley 'Jig Borer' that I bought in 1978 or so. Mechanically sound on the ways and spindle it was in a bit of a state

linley mill 01.jpg

but after some considerable work - a new table made at work to increase the capacity, DRO and, the last improvement a VFD drive it too is a faithful ally.

linley mill 04.jpg

It's only drawback is the limited head room and the inability to move the head at an angle. Seventieth birthday pressy was an Amadeal mill. This has proved to be far better than anticipated but is used mainly for initial machining

dscf6710.jpg

Apart from a Fobco drill which predates the lathe and bought from Reeves the rest is just basic accessories made or purchased over the years.

Nigel Graham 2 - I don't think it was to reduce the noise per se but more the windage itself but of course it would have had a huge effect on noise too. We see our models gracefully ticking over but when these engines worked the speed was quite alarming to that perhaps expected.

Tony Wright - Each to his own I suppose - I've made a few tools over the year but very early on I showed a slotting tool to a very well thought of model engineer in our club whom we all looked up to. He commented that 'it would do' with a smile but then asked why I had painted it. "Doesn't make it work better "he said, "just time spent that could be on the model instead!" Couldn't appreciate that concept at the time but then it began to make more and more sense.

Bill good to see you here - hope Jason can get you sorted out on MEM.

Thanks again for all the other comments guys, all much appreciated

Regards - Ramon (Tug)

I know some like to use my given name but to most if not all I'm 'Tug' - I chose to use my name initially as there are quite a few 'Tug Wilsons' about. I have no issue with either so it's a choice thing.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest