Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

CAM software for CNC Lathes - With C axis and constrained live tool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mike T04/01/2021 18:28:46
180 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/01/2021 17:58:23:

Mike, No , - I have not implemented what I think you are suggesting - but it is quite easy

Joe

I setup my 4 axes machine using LiuxCNC and have been using it for well over a year ago.

I was trying to offer help to you, if you were attempting to do a similar thing.

Mike

Alan Wood 404/01/2021 19:19:41
176 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Joe

Sorry about that, I thought you were asking how PP warned you and auto stopped.

From my point of view you have to allow a pause to let the expletives diminish and then decide on the easiest route. Long winded is to stop and reload an edited GCode up to a convenient point before the breakage and this will probably involve cutting air. I use GCodeEditor to see where things are at.

If it has been a controlled stop rather than a panic button or ESC then swapping out a tool is possible as I use the Tormach collet system.

If I aim the answer more to your PCB milling then I do this on the small CNC (using Mach3 though) and I use tooling from Think & Tinker. These come supplied with a plastic depth stop ring on the shank so you can swap out tools without having to do a tool height setting. I have extended this idea by 3D printing my own collars and fitting these to my non T&T tooling such as board routers and tooling hole drills. I have a height setting jig that I set these collars against and superglue them in place. Pause the code, stop the spindle, swap the tool and carry on.

That still might not have answered your question ...

Alan

blowlamp04/01/2021 19:43:52
1473 forum posts
97 photos
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/01/2021 05:45:39:

Thanks Martin - I will get Ecam and learn - At least those lessons are more main-stream than LinuxCnC!

I do have the PlanetCNC's TNG software - Early this year I looked quite deeply into the PlanetCNC stuff as I was looking for a MACH3 alternative to drive my 4 axis hot wire foam cutter, and had good discourse on the Planetcnc forum. The software was able to do it all just fine, and I was ready to procure the controller and TNG software, and the virus arrived, shipping stopped, etc - I did not revive that route as my lathe project woke up in all the lockdowns, and so the research regarding able controllers started. If the Planetcnc board can do my C axis lathe, then it is really a no-brainer - I will persevere with LinuxCNC, but right now , only because It is a challenge, but to what end I am not sure. As I said before, the Centroid ACORN and the PlanetCNC boards and associated softwares are just so polished - the software user interface, the look of the machine screen, layout, etc is very professional, and looks 'machine tool' like - MACH3 is so poor in that regard, and LinuxCNC is not a huge improvement - I know both can be changed - you can create your own screens, setups, etc, but again, that's not the objective for a machine user is it?

As it is, there are big learning curves involved as soon as you start in the CNC realm - finding and learning an (affordable?) CAD package, ditto the CAM software, setting up the machine, etc - And then the Controller software it self - TNG, the Centroid offering, LinuxCNC, etc, also has to be 'learnt' so spending time learning the inner guts to just add handwheels, etc, is not useful at all!

Martin, your video is very good - you have done a few videos I see, and you do them well! A natural! - My very few videos are silent movies - with some titles if I think it needed - but I would have to read from a script to voice it! - too many umms and aahhs.

Thanks Again for your help.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I'm very happy if it helps with your project.

Just ask, if you think I can assist.

Martin.

Joseph Noci 105/01/2021 04:58:05
822 forum posts
1026 photos
Posted by mike T on 04/01/2021 18:28:46:
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 04/01/2021 17:58:23:

Mike, No , - I have not implemented what I think you are suggesting - but it is quite easy

Joe

I setup my 4 axes machine using LiuxCNC and have been using it for well over a year ago.

I was trying to offer help to you, if you were attempting to do a similar thing.

Mike

Mike.

As usual, getting MY wires and pins crossed - Thinking you're asking me a question while you are offering assistance!

Sorry!

Thanks for the offer Mike. I am really not sure where I am going with this now. If I continue with LCNC, I need to get a better PC, get with the later LinuxCnC release, not use parallel ports but use MESA cards, etc - It has been a mission getting the simple router to work - I am still fighting 'joint following errors' - probably my PC is to slow, etc...

The implementation of the full-on C axis lathe is probably going to require decent hardware, and a lot more effort, getting into the deeper regions of pins and joints and things...Its just a massive diversion from the real thing ( making the lathe, and doing some model engineering!) and has the potential to be all consuming.

Not only that, but the constant feed of 'use any old PC lying about, a cheap CNC solution, etc, is somehow not quite true - the MESA cards are NOT inexpensive, hard to get , no stock, etc....

Guess I need to take stock and decide!

Joseph Noci 105/01/2021 05:13:51
822 forum posts
1026 photos
Posted by Alan Wood 4 on 04/01/2021 19:19:41:

Hi Joe

Sorry about that, I thought you were asking how PP warned you and auto stopped.

From my point of view you have to allow a pause to let the expletives diminish and then decide on the easiest route. Long winded is to stop and reload an edited GCode up to a convenient point before the breakage and this will probably involve cutting air. I use GCodeEditor to see where things are at.

If it has been a controlled stop rather than a panic button or ESC then swapping out a tool is possible as I use the Tormach collet system.

If I aim the answer more to your PCB milling then I do this on the small CNC (using Mach3 though) and I use tooling from Think & Tinker. These come supplied with a plastic depth stop ring on the shank so you can swap out tools without having to do a tool height setting. I have extended this idea by 3D printing my own collars and fitting these to my non T&T tooling such as board routers and tooling hole drills. I have a height setting jig that I set these collars against and superglue them in place. Pause the code, stop the spindle, swap the tool and carry on.

That still might not have answered your question ...

Alan

To some extent, yes Alan.

PP is from my understanding a polished LinuxCNC version of sorts, with updated motion and path planners, etc?

I am very surprised that there is no mechanism for recovery from a broken tool type situation. It's not complex so I wonder why.

Your Mach3 setup - what you described was an 'intended' tool change, or a pause for whatever reason - the key being a pause - MACH will complete the Gcode and then pause, so a continue is clean. Mach ALSO allows jogging away from the current position and then continuing, after a pause ( and obviously after a normal tool change code)

What I am chasing is that you hit stop, or pause for that matter ( stop stops mid cut - Gcode not completed) a few Gcode lines to late, after the tool has broken. Jog away, change tool, fix any offsets if need be, and then restart the Gcode some lines earlier select a start place, and 'run from here' - Mach3 restarts the file from the beginning , machine does not move, and when the selected line is reached, all modality is back in place, and the machine starts moving again.

I have perused the LCNC forum extensively, and its not possible. I find that an unacceptable omission - but if its been that way and is stuck that way, is it me? Am I operation the machine in an incorrect manner??

Won't I be annoyed if after all this I stick with Mach3 ( or 4)??? - I like that new screen set!

Joe

Alan Wood 405/01/2021 10:37:39
176 forum posts
6 photos

Good morning Joe

What you are asking may be possible on PP but I haven't approached it that way. The STOP command for instance doesn't change the current modal state of the mill.

It might be worth you downloading the 1100MX manual which is available on the Tormach documentation section.

**LINK**

Alan

Bob Rodgerson05/01/2021 10:52:38
599 forum posts
174 photos

Path Pilot disallow you to return to a point in a programme where, if a tool breaks or you have to make an emergency stop, allows you to return to that point and continue from there with the rest of the programme. I also allows you to change such things as lead in type or commencing without any lead in etc.

Alan Wood 405/01/2021 10:57:40
176 forum posts
6 photos

Could I add to that with Release Note SB0046 version 2.4.2 Feb 2020 which details how to right click and select a new start point with various options. I just learned something ...

**LINK**

Sorry Bob we doubled on this

Alan

Edited By Alan Wood 4 on 05/01/2021 10:59:16

Joseph Noci 112/01/2021 20:07:53
822 forum posts
1026 photos
Posted by Alan Wood 4 on 04/01/2021 09:58:44:

Finally for those frustrated by the Mach3 visual presentation, have a look at Physics Anonymous YouTube videos SO3E13 and 14. This is as close to a professional layout for Mach3 that I have seen. It is not totally bug free but an update is promised. I have a small CNCEST mill that now uses this interface and I tend to forget I am using Mach3.

Alan

Alan, I have been using that screen a bit, and am a little frustrated by some missing functions on the main screen - not major, more irritating than anything.

I started modifying the screen and adding what I wanted ( not trivial - the screen 'editor' [a massive misnomer..] is archaic) but while digging around I found this screen set :

**LINK**

Was $20.00 and is excellent. I have been using it a fair bit and it ticks all my boxes! Clean, uncluttered and really great for those quick, simple mill/router/engraver jobs.

Joe

Alan Wood 414/01/2021 10:34:45
176 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks for the link Joe, I will give it a look.

Alan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest