Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Boxing Day Tidying

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet26/12/2020 10:48:50
6812 forum posts
20 photos

As I see it, just a normal day when either tidying or machining can be accomplished as one wants. Repairs are often left until the item is needed again.🙂

David Colwill26/12/2020 11:05:08
778 forum posts
40 photos

Nigel.

You are not alone.

I'm here trying to get things in order (well as near as I can get) as I am hoping to get a few days to start converting a Denford Orac to linux CNC.

David.

Georgineer26/12/2020 13:12:49
577 forum posts
32 photos

That's not fair; you had help!

George B.

Nigel Graham 226/12/2020 13:35:12
2137 forum posts
29 photos

I did clean the shaper reasonably well after using it yesterday morning. (Dry cast-iron shavings are amenable to using a hand-held vacuum-cleaner.)

It's Boxing Day today, so dinner, a walk before the forecast storm, and into the workshop.

Occasionally I do spend time just pottering, not quite sure what more meaningful work to do, and that can be useful - bits of tidying, small repairs, finding things that had been hiding.

Dennis Rayner26/12/2020 13:45:44
124 forum posts
8 photos

My biggest problem in workshop tidying is my reluctance to throw anything away - therefore I have to find a home for what I'm saving and (even more difficult) remember where I've put the things in the months/years to come!

As a simple example of my present dilemma I have 2 perfectly good lighting dimmers which were replaced by 2 (cosmetically and colour-wise improved) new ones. I find it so hard to put the old ones in the bin.

larry phelan 126/12/2020 14:14:15
1181 forum posts
15 photos

I HATE ,tidy workshops !!

It,s so hard to find anything afterwards. Much better to leave it where it fellcheeky

Steviegtr26/12/2020 14:21:00
2436 forum posts
336 photos

I find that i save too much stuff that should be binned. Then in a fit of a cleanup i throw loads of things away.

Only to find a few weeks later i could have used some of it, but now gone. Doh.

Steve.

Grindstone Cowboy26/12/2020 14:32:30
859 forum posts
64 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 26/12/2020 14:21:00:

I find that i save too much stuff that should be binned. Then in a fit of a cleanup i throw loads of things away.

I do that too. Apart from the "fit of a cleanup" part wink

Nicholas Wheeler 126/12/2020 15:12:38
930 forum posts
87 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 26/12/2020 14:21:00:

Only to find a few weeks later i could have used some of it, but now gone. Doh.

That's never happened to me.

What I found, before I trained myself not to be a hoarder, was that I'd spend ages sorting through piles of stock that was always slightly too small for the job, or discover that the I've got one of those somewhere was worse than the part I was hoping to replace.

Now, I bin removed parts when the job is complete, and small pieces of stock that I can't hold join them. Saves time, space and frustration.

Chris Evans 626/12/2020 15:21:40
2057 forum posts

I am sometimes guilty of working until ass deep in swarf. Then it's down tools sweep up/clean and oil things to start again. Very satisfying when cleaned up.

Dr_GMJN28/12/2020 23:44:21
1306 forum posts

Is that a Meccano No.0 biplane hanging over your bench?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest