By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Have You considered getting a 3D printer

NEW POLL

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: Have you ever considered getting a 3D printer for your workshop?

Y - already have  
48%

Y - but cost  
2%

Y but quality  
2%

No - got no use  
10%

No - just toys  
1%

No - got no interest  
8%

Yes - but other tool  
5%

yes, this year  
3%

Yes - in future  
21%

(155 votes)

Bazyle13/04/2021 17:39:04
5834 forum posts
217 photos

There has been a bit of a pause on this thread.
There is an openscad file by buffcleb on Thingiverse for an index plate that is fully configuarble for size and hole patterns, even mountings. Just had to have a play with it.
I didn't want to try out a 5 hour print for a proper plate but then thought the best way to make a specific prime is often to start with that number - rather self defeating though in the old days. However a single row could be printed rathe more simply (hour and a half). As an experiment I have printed a 73 hole plate quite thin that could be mounted on an aluminium carrier plate perhaps. I don't actually need to make a 73 gear but this is proof of concept. 100mm dia or 4in for a BS0 dividing head, the holes just fit in. Still on printer so will need fettling. The holes are all the same just poor photo.

index plate 73.jpg

DrDave16/04/2021 19:59:12
223 forum posts
53 photos

Spurred on by this thread, and an Amazon voucher from my employer for Christmas, I finally bit the bullet & invested in a Sovol SV01 printer. It only took a matter of days for Mrs Dave to go from "and what are you going to use that for?" to "magic has entered the house!".

After printing a few tool and collet holders from Thingiverse, I tried a dial gauge holder: not only is it too big for my dial gauge, but it didn't fit the QC tool post either... So, out with the CAD, measure up a standard Myford tool holder and a few hours later, this appeared:

dial gauge holder.jpg

The gauge is a nice push fit and it fits the tool post as-is. It just needs the screw for height adjustment (I printer an M5 thread to see how effective this would be.

Chuffed with the result!

Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest