Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

A Certain Age

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Graham 229/12/2020 15:19:16
1275 forum posts
17 photos

Age does seem to bring with it a certain recollection of "they words" - probably from years of looking for that just-parted-off 10BA stud on the workshop floor, or discovering the 17/64-inch Acme spanner (left-handed) is the one missing from the set when needed most.

My sister tells of her son's visits to a couple of nursing-homes in the course of his work.

In one, a cat wandered across the lounge, and the manager said, "He's a sort of pet. All the residents love him!" Whereupon one dear, sweet lady of obviously respectable vintage finger-beckoned my nephew over to confide in him, "I don't! I hate f+++++g cats!"

In the other he was suddenly aware that two ladies of similar Summer Wine and above vintage were assessing him, in his early-twenties, with comments like, "He's a bit of all right, isn't he? I know what I could do with him!"

'

I was once asked to confirm my age - in my late-50s - in a Spar shop. Puzzled, as there seemed nothing amiss in the items between us, I asked why. It seems a spray-can of deodorant was the problem. I mentioned it to one of the till-girl's colleagues next time I was in there, and this lady explained she shouldn't have asked, but had probably misunderstood the rules.

"Oh, thank-you, but you didn't need to apologise!" I replied, "I wasn't offended. Rather flattered actually!"

Harry Wilkes29/12/2020 16:14:15
1086 forum posts
64 photos

Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 29/12/2020 15:19:16:

Same happen's to me in B&Q I'm 77 gray haired and walk with a stick and on more than one occasion when purchasing solvent based products I've been ask my age surprise

H

Age does seem to bring with it a certain recollection of "they words" - probably from years of looking for that just-parted-off 10BA stud on the workshop floor, or discovering the 17/64-inch Acme spanner (left-handed) is the one missing from the set when needed most.

My sister tells of her son's visits to a couple of nursing-homes in the course of his work.

In one, a cat wandered across the lounge, and the manager said, "He's a sort of pet. All the residents love him!" Whereupon one dear, sweet lady of obviously respectable vintage finger-beckoned my nephew over to confide in him, "I don't! I hate f+++++g cats!"

In the other he was suddenly aware that two ladies of similar Summer Wine and above vintage were assessing him, in his early-twenties, with comments like, "He's a bit of all right, isn't he? I know what I could do with him!"

'

I was once asked to confirm my age - in my late-50s - in a Spar shop. Puzzled, as there seemed nothing amiss in the items between us, I asked why. It seems a spray-can of deodorant was the problem. I mentioned it to one of the till-girl's colleagues next time I was in there, and this lady explained she shouldn't have asked, but had probably misunderstood the rules.

"Oh, thank-you, but you didn't need to apologise!" I replied, "I wasn't offended. Rather flattered actually!"

Ray Lyons20/02/2021 14:58:40
187 forum posts
1 photos

Another "granddad" moment. Too old to get under the car now so I have taken to adding little things to tart up the specification. One of these is a head up display which is much better than glancing at the instrument panel whilst driving. Plugged into the diagnostic socket, it displays RPM, Speed, Coolant Temperature Gear position and a whole lot of other things which can be selected on the touch screen. During the lockdown, we have been confined to local trips only to do the shopping and I noticed that the displayed speed is slightly higher than that shown on the instrument panel speedo. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to take to the open road, taking my wife to our local vaccination centre when I noticed that the speed was indeed about 10% faster than the speedo indicated. This morning, following shopping as I reversed into the garage, I thought to investigate the reason and found that I had set the speed in KM/h instead of MPH. I was going to change it but on reflection decided to leave as it is since an indicated 30 is in fact about 28MPH, well within the town speed limit and avoids the dreaded speeding ticket. It looks like a forgetful old codger moment could well be an advantage.

Andrew Johnston20/02/2021 15:18:17
5976 forum posts
668 photos
Posted by Ray Lyons on 20/02/2021 14:58:40:

........found that I had set the speed in KM/h instead of MPH. I was going to change it but on reflection decided to leave as it is since an indicated 30 is in fact about 28MPH.............

That can't be right? A speed of 30kph is equivalent to 18.6mph.

Andrew

Ray Lyons20/02/2021 15:44:40
187 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, Again another drift off. Didn't bother to check the data so my HUD must be way out but I think worth keeping for the displayed safety margin.

Tom Sheppard08/03/2021 20:02:12
27 forum posts

As a newcomer here, the comments about the general unfriendliness of the ME community resonate, unfortunately. The fact that they will argue about fractions of nothing, often to the death over arcane examples of dead technology, (yes, steam junkies, I'm looking at you,) brings nothing to model engineering. Old men in sheds, one of which I am in danger of becoming are terribly boring when my company's apprentices grabbed the 3d printer and started mass producing PPE for the local hospital. Making copies of antiquities in small scale is old hat. Where are the new designs and projects? The Arduino and CNC modellers seem to be having a lot more fun.

Certainly the light aircraft homebuilt community, of similar demographic are more sociable and better humoured. Whether that has to do with the unforgiving nature of aviation, I don't know but after three months of looking in at it there isn't much for me in model engineering. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Joseph Noci 108/03/2021 20:14:55
884 forum posts
1073 photos
Posted by Tom Sheppard on 08/03/2021 20:02:12:

As a newcomer here, the comments about the general unfriendliness of the ME community resonate, unfortunately. The fact that they will argue about fractions of nothing, often to the death over arcane examples of dead technology, (yes, steam junkies, I'm looking at you,) brings nothing to model engineering. Old men in sheds, one of which I am in danger of becoming are terribly boring when my company's apprentices grabbed the 3d printer and started mass producing PPE for the local hospital. Making copies of antiquities in small scale is old hat. Where are the new designs and projects? The Arduino and CNC modellers seem to be having a lot more fun.

Certainly the light aircraft homebuilt community, of similar demographic are more sociable and better humoured. Whether that has to do with the unforgiving nature of aviation, I don't know but after three months of looking in at it there isn't much for me in model engineering. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Couldn't disagree more...

Joe

Dave Halford08/03/2021 20:55:58
1395 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Ray Lyons on 20/02/2021 15:44:40:

Thanks, Again another drift off. Didn't bother to check the data so my HUD must be way out but I think worth keeping for the displayed safety margin.

Don't worry Ray, most speedos these days read low, a hand held SAT NAV will tell you the real speed.

Dave Halford08/03/2021 21:04:02
1395 forum posts
12 photos

Good point Tom, where's your new style project?

Tom Sheppard08/03/2021 21:47:59
27 forum posts

Steam bent bamboo wrapped in carbon fibre tube electric scooter with regenerative braking and 25cc LPG four stroke range extending high voltage alternator feeding a switched mode charger supplying 120Volts at 3 Amps.

Inflatable luggage containers to reduce space required for storage.

But it isn't model engineering.

Nigel Graham 208/03/2021 21:52:35
1275 forum posts
17 photos

Come on, deriding others' choice of projects is hardly likely to win you a welcome, now is it?

So it's wrong to make copies of "dead technology" (whatever that means or includes)? In that case....

Is it wrong make a weight-driven long-case clock from raw materials? Would you rather just put a quartz movement and CAD-printed dial in a 3D-printed plastic box?.

Is it wrong to make a musical instrument - or if one does, is it wrong to play music written before 2000?

is it wrong to restore a 19C ornamental-turning lathe and use it to make ornaments?

You are interested in aviation - but do you decry those who make radial engines or radio-controlled model bi-planes?

The "CNC modellers seem to be having a lot more "fun". Only "seem" to be. How do know? Do you think those who use manual methods and conventional machine-tools to be just as creative, are having a lot less "fun"?

Your contrast between making things purely for one's enjoyment, and your apprentices making PPE for the hospital, is meaningless. The reasons and aims are totally different.

I appreciate you could not see anything to your taste in model-engineering, though you gave yourself only 12 weeks in a hobby far, far wider than just replicating steam-engines. Oh - and a lot of the steam-engine replicators now do use CAD and even CAM techniques for it.

However, please tell us what novel field and contributions you would have brought to the hobby.

You can't simply sneer at others for their own interests and contributions, then criticise them for their understandable reactions.

Pete.08/03/2021 22:08:26
457 forum posts
60 photos
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 20/02/2021 15:18:17:
Posted by Ray Lyons on 20/02/2021 14:58:40:

........found that I had set the speed in KM/h instead of MPH. I was going to change it but on reflection decided to leave as it is since an indicated 30 is in fact about 28MPH.............

That can't be right? A speed of 30kph is equivalent to 18.6mph.

Andrew

Looks like we found out whose been holding all the traffic up 🤭

Steviegtr08/03/2021 22:42:14
1976 forum posts
268 photos
Posted by Tom Sheppard on 08/03/2021 22:22:54:

Nigel, feel free to pick a fight. . I don't care because it is your time and your hobby. I explained my project but it won't fit with your agenda to consider that so you are just out to win a keyboard war. I am too grown up to indulge you further.

Oh dear what an angry person.

I also have no interest in building a steam engine. But i am in awe with some that have been built. Engineering brilliance. without a computer. My interests are mainly very fast motorcycles & cars. Of which i have both. However i love been a member of this forum, clearly you do not. Never mind. I am sure you will find another one to slag. Try a couple of mine. The Ducati owners club uk & the F-type Jaguar forum. You can swear on there so get ready for an onslaught. Kindest regards, i think .

Steve.

Hopper09/03/2021 05:29:06
5404 forum posts
131 photos

My old Drummond lathe was used to mass produce aircraft parts in World War Two by some old git in his shed. Without it, you'd be speaking a foreign language right now. Does that count?

Now it's still in use making useful workshop equipment, motorbike parts and model steam engines, making it three generations of old gits in their sheds that have gotten good use out of it. Why stop now? Maybe when it wears out my grandkids can go all retro and build a working model vintage 3D printer to replace it.

Want to see unfriendly? Try the Politics section of the leading Harley forum. crying

Be sure to mention your steam-bent bamboo carbon fibre scooter with 25cc LPG motor and regenerative braking. I'm sure they would be fascinated. laugh

Edited By Hopper on 09/03/2021 05:38:46

JasonB09/03/2021 07:42:48
20289 forum posts
2218 photos
1 articles

Keep the personal attacks off the forum or get thrown off.

Mike Poole09/03/2021 08:43:54
2940 forum posts
70 photos

I am beginning to think that I need to start adapting to forgetting things, my memory used to be pretty reliable but now I go down the shop to get three things and come back with two. Making a list could be the answer. My wife puts things in a safe place and forgets where the safe place is, this is of course my fault and not her memory. I sometimes wonder if she is gaslighting me about my memory or is she just not believing that she has a bit of memory trouble as well. Of course having established that my memory is not what it was this can be used to advantage on occasion. We are both closing in on our mid sixties so what is mildly annoying and not a major problem at the moment will probably not improve but acknowledging the problem can help to adapt to it. My wife’s work are implementing a security system to access their computer systems than requires a smartphone, something she has resisted getting until now, I can see this is going be fun.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 09/03/2021 08:45:22

SillyOldDuffer09/03/2021 08:48:46
7042 forum posts
1549 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 08/03/2021 22:42:14:
Posted by Tom Sheppard on 08/03/2021 22:22:54:

I also have no interest in building a steam engine. But i am in awe with some that have been built. Engineering brilliance. without a computer. ...

Steve.

+1, except I allow computers as well! Fortunately, computers are entirely voluntary, so me blathering on about them about can be safely ignored...

smiley

Dave

Andrew Johnston09/03/2021 10:01:41
5976 forum posts
668 photos
Posted by Tom Sheppard on 08/03/2021 21:47:59:

Steam bent bamboo................

That's surprising, steam is sooooo 19th century.

Andrew

Andrew Tinsley09/03/2021 10:26:49
1343 forum posts

Come Andrew,

You do Tom Sheppard an injustice, 19th century, bamboo usage? It goes back millennia in construction. Predates steam engines by a few thousand years.

Andrew.

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 09/03/2021 10:27:22

Edited By Andrew Tinsley on 09/03/2021 10:28:08

Nicholas Wheeler 109/03/2021 10:40:29
567 forum posts
37 photos

Going back to Tom's original complaint: many of the posters here are grumpy, opinionated, argumentative and pedantic, and the phrase 'model engineering' is a terrible description. But unfriendly is a big stretch.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest