Do I need a switch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer03/12/2020 22:36:35
6654 forum posts
1499 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 03/12/2020 20:04:35:

SillyOldDuffer,

Read the thread again? Poster is clearly limited for expenditure. Motor turns and runs smoothly.

Two things in Alan's post jumped out at me:

• 'I tried a while ago to run it and it seemed to work ok', and,
  • 'I tried it again recently and it blew the circuit breaker for the garage, I think because I hadn't run the lathe for a while and the motor was a bit sticky.'

Not quite an assurance the 'Motor turns and runs smoothly'.

But quite right, I didn't mean Alan should dump the motor without trying a few things first. Worst comes to worst though, and the motor is a dud, then I think going 3-phase is the besr solution, money permitting.

I do suggest a half horse motor shouldn't ever trip a circuit breaker. Something ain't right. Earth leak would be my bet.

Dave

Maurice Taylor03/12/2020 23:39:52
162 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/12/2020 22:36:35:

I do suggest a half horse motor shouldn't ever trip a circuit breaker. Something ain't right. Earth leak would be my bet.

Dave

Hi,A 1/2 hp Brook motor on an ML7 takes nearly 50A for 100mS on start ,this will sometimes trip a domestic mcb but probably wouldn’t trip an inductive load mcb ,as previously mentioned .An earth leakage fault would trip the elcb not the mcb.

trace

Maurice

PS   If I’m writing rubbish , electrical experts please correct me.

Edited By Maurice Taylor on 03/12/2020 23:54:08

AJAX03/12/2020 23:57:03
113 forum posts
42 photos
Posted by Maurice Taylor on 03/12/2020 23:39:52:
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/12/2020 22:36:35:

Dave

Hi,A 1/2 hp Brook motor on an ML7 takes nearly 50A for 100mS on start ,this will sometimes trip a domestic mcb but probably wouldn’t trip an inductive load mcb ,as previously mentioned .An earth leakage fault would trip the elcb not the mcb.

trace

Maurice

Maurice, I'm interested in your scope setup. I'm familiar with the picoscope as I have one myself but never seen or used the automotive one. Are you using it with a clamp meter probe? I have a clamp meter but not for the scope. If I needed current logging I might use a current sense resistor and do it that way.

not done it yet04/12/2020 05:54:48
5352 forum posts
20 photos

Maurice,

Thanks for the ‘scope print-out. You seem in much agreement with me - where I also clearly pointed out that it was an overload trip and not the RCD. An RCD trip would have sounded alarm bells for me as any imbalance would likely indicate a leakage to earth.

All the evidence ( ‘I think because’ was a very speculative suggestion with no actual evidence supplied - I took that to likely mean it could have been the whole lathe that was stiff, not necessarily just the motor) indicates the motor is likely in fair fettle, but possibly needing maintenance.

A good earth connection (readily checked with a normal DMM) should protect the user in the event of leakage, but a resistance test for the motor is, of course, the far better option - as long as the motor windings are completely dry, of course.

Maurice Taylor04/12/2020 21:50:59
162 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by AJAX on 03/12/2020 23:57:03:

Maurice, I'm interested in your scope setup. I'm familiar with the picoscope as I have one myself but never seen or used the automotive one. Are you using it with a clamp meter probe? I have a clamp meter but not for the scope. If I needed current logging I might use a current sense resistor and do it that way.

Hi, My setup consists of Picoscope 4225 and a current clamp Picoscope TA167 .The automotive scope will also run the ordinary Picoscope software.

When I got my clamp I wanted to measure starter motor current ,so I couldn’t consider a sense resistor ,it goes up to 2000A, There is a cheaper Pico clamp at £99 , this goes up to 600A, I would go for a clamp,no chance of damageing scope.

Hope this helps

Maurice

not done it yet05/12/2020 07:16:00
5352 forum posts
20 photos

I blew a fuse yesterday. I left a 5A fuse in a plug on a lead for a 1 1/4 HP motor drive (via a VFD). It lasted for quite a lot of soft starts but gave up on a heavy load. Fitted the correct 13A fuse for the supply lead and all has been OK since.

Michael Gilligan05/12/2020 09:16:23
16990 forum posts
753 photos

It may be worth reading this old thread from 2012 :**LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=73175

I took advice from MEW and did what appeared to be the right thing

... and was then chastised/ridiculed for it

... but life’s like that.

MichaelG.

old mart05/12/2020 16:18:11
2465 forum posts
169 photos

Having looked at your link, Michael, I would also warn those people with old electric drills about the state of the insulation of the wiring. I bought a Black & Decker D720, (the two speed with the metal body and 3/8" chuck) in the late sixties. About 20 years later, I had reason to unscrew the plate on the side of the handle and found the wiring insulation all cracking up. It got binned straight away and replaced by a plastic bodied double insulated one. There are lots of cherished old mains operated tools out there still in use, hopefully their earth connections are still good and the RCD's in use today will save somebodies life.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest