Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Driving trolley brakes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Speedy Builder528/11/2020 18:03:12
2182 forum posts
152 photos

Just starting to put pen to paper to design a simple driving trolley for a 5" gauge loco. Thinking of brakes, I want to use bicycle brakes on an axle mounted disc. I am looking at disc type brakes (Cable operated) for simplicity, operating on a smaller diameter disc than its intended for. Anyone have ideas what material to use for the disc. I am thinking of 10 gauge stainless steel at the moment. Also, bike discs are carefully perforated. Is that for cooling ?

Bob

duncan webster28/11/2020 18:08:19
2929 forum posts
34 photos

There was an excellent design for driving trolley in ME some years ago by a chap called Hudson. No longer with us I fear. It uses bicycle brake blocks on mild steel discs, and I can testify they work, you can stop the wheels going round, at last on ally track, and so you won't get better than that. If you pm me your email I'll send you a copy of the article

Dave Smith 1428/11/2020 19:28:10
137 forum posts
16 photos

My driving trolley (used just for me has a bicycle calliper using brake blocks on a disc just like you are describing. Like Duncan it can lock the wheels even on steel track. The disc is made of ordinary mild steel. Stainless will work just as well. Don't worry about cooling holes or similar you will not be using the brakes enough to warrent them.

Dave

alan ord 228/11/2020 19:42:53
90 forum posts
29 photos

There was an article in Model Engineer March 24th 2000 titled "Low Cost, Low Maintenance Vacuum Brakes" by Peter Gardner. Including design details etc.

Alan.

Steve Addy28/11/2020 22:01:11
120 forum posts
74 photos
1 articles

I used a couple of vintage centre pull brakes I would have loved to have had as a lad. They work on iron discs of some considerable thickness to emulate a bike wheel rime. They are very effective indeed.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest