By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Radial Engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Finley Brodie28/11/2020 11:57:02
1 forum posts

My father and I are trying to find the plans for a 3 cylinder raidial engine that he came across in either models engineers or model engineers workshop some years ago. He brought the brass hex stock for the main body years ago but never got round to building it, and know that we have wanted to make a start we cant find the issue the plans were in. If anyone knows the issue number or has a link to the plans the help would be greatly appriciated.

mgnbuk28/11/2020 15:02:34
898 forum posts
65 photos

I can't help with the particular engine you are looking for, but there is a Radial and Rotary Engines group on groups io ( RandREngines@groups.io )

If no one here can help, it might be worth joining that group and asking on there.

Nigel B.

Howard Lewis28/11/2020 17:33:53
4095 forum posts
3 photos

Recently, there was a thread on making a three cylinder steam engine for an aeroplane.

I am sure that there have been other examples of three cylinder radial steam engines. I think that one might have been an oscillating type.

The Company logo for Peter Brotherhood is a three cylinder engine that they developed and made, to run on compressed air, to power torpedos.

Sadly, but understandably, examples are hard to find. When one of their folk spoke at the Peterborough Engineering Society, a few years ago, he did bring an example with him.

Howard

John Purdy28/11/2020 17:54:05
236 forum posts
131 photos

Finley

Not sure if this is the one you are looking for but L.W Chenery wrote a build series in ME on the Anzani 3 cylinder aero engine of 1910 starting in Me volume 177 1997 #4022 and ran for 11 parts.

John

JasonB28/11/2020 18:11:27
19506 forum posts
2131 photos
1 articles

The Anzani and Cygnet Royal both used alloy castings for the crankcase, Les Kerr's one is a likely candidate as that uses brass hex. ME 4308, 10 & 12

3 cyl radial.jpg

Ady128/11/2020 18:41:43
4128 forum posts
576 photos

Use this place to search old copies

Howard Lewis28/11/2020 18:51:59
4095 forum posts
3 photos

On page 2 of this, there were posts about the aeroplane 3 cylinder radial steam engine. The last post was on 27th November.

But probably not exactly what you are seeking. May give some ideas?

Howard

old mart28/11/2020 19:10:14
2462 forum posts
169 photos

Bristol made three cylinder radials, probably sleeve valve. They look strange alongside 5,7 and 9 models.

JA28/11/2020 19:31:36
1055 forum posts
54 photos
Posted by old mart on 28/11/2020 19:10:14:

Bristol made three cylinder radials, probably sleeve valve. They look strange alongside 5,7 and 9 models.

Bristol made one three cylinder radial engine. The Lucifer used Jupiter barrels, pistons and cylinder heads so it had poppet valves. The original work was done by Cosmos and not very many were produced. The RRHT at Bristol has one and I think it has run in the last 15 year’s.

JA

Howard Lewis29/11/2020 12:44:18
4095 forum posts
3 photos

When 3 cylinder aero engines are mentioned, the Anzani immediately comes to mind.

Wasn't it a 3 cylinder that brought Louis Bleriot across the channel?

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest