Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Boring bar

Cutting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr27/11/2020 13:31:18
1779 forum posts
235 photos

A friend asked me some time ago how you could use this with the side projecting cutter to bore down.

Now the 2 holes underneath will be fine as seen because the cutter is in the correct position. But if mounted through the side to bore a large hole, the cutting inserts are the wrong way round. Assuming rotation being clockwise. It can not be driven anti clockwise or it would unscrew from the arbor.

Any idea's.

I have looked at many sites & these all come like this. all 9 inserts the same way round.

Steve.

boring bar.jpg

David George 127/11/2020 13:43:32
1429 forum posts
456 photos

Hi Steve.You don,t have to use the supplied cutters you can use a piece of solid HSS or make an arbour which is larger diameter and less likely to vibrate or cross drilled to take carbide tool.

boring bars.jpg

David

Edited By David George 1 on 27/11/2020 13:45:43

mgnbuk27/11/2020 13:53:20
904 forum posts
65 photos

Any idea's.

The bar set is just for use in the end face of the BH. You will require an opposite hand bar for side use.

As an aside - have a good look at how those bars are ground before trying to use one. The set I bought had no cutting angles or clearances ground on & would not have worked "out of the box" - the carbide tips had just been brazed on and left, rather like the sets of inexpensive brazed tip turning tool sets.

Nigel B.

peak427/11/2020 14:25:01
1325 forum posts
147 photos

Steve, you can find left hand carbide insert boring bars from a variety of sellers; I've an insert holder of similar hand and style.

Here's an ebay link from a UK supplier as an example.
I've not used that supplier, or these bars personally, but am in the market for something similar.
If you decide to try one, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a review.

Also on ebay The Tool Shack has some ½" brazed ones available at the moment

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 27/11/2020 14:31:50

old mart27/11/2020 14:38:09
2472 forum posts
169 photos

You have a mill, just put a flat on a bit of silver steel and silver solder a carbide insert to it pointing in the direction required. Something like a basic TPUN would do.

Roderick Jenkins27/11/2020 14:59:23
2006 forum posts
529 photos

This set from Chronos has a left hand cutter included.

Rod

old mart27/11/2020 15:00:25
2472 forum posts
169 photos

A left handed 12mm indexable lathe boring bar might do, unless your size is 1/2". The flats on the bar might be a problem, though.

JasonB27/11/2020 15:37:37
19570 forum posts
2142 photos
1 articles

Just grind one of the supplied ones to suit, that's what I have done in the past both for use in the side hole and also when in an end hole for doing external curves rather than holes.

I could suggest a good book on the subject but I know you like a video

Edited By JasonB on 27/11/2020 15:41:53

Steviegtr27/11/2020 16:17:46
1779 forum posts
235 photos

Thanks for all the replies.

My main question was really that it is surprising they supply 9 inserts all with the insert on the same side. I thought at least a couple would have been the other way. I know some could be made , but just a shame they do not come complete. Not tried using it yet but it does look very good quality from the outside. All the inserts have the correct rake on them. How long they will last will come to fruition in time.

The inserts are 12mm dia.

JasonB. Thanks for the vid. Now i know how to adjust it.

Steve.

old mart27/11/2020 20:09:57
2472 forum posts
169 photos

They probably supply the tools with the same hand as most people would use them vertically. You could lock the threads and run the machine in reverse, if it has that capability.

Steviegtr27/11/2020 22:17:13
1779 forum posts
235 photos
Posted by old mart on 27/11/2020 20:09:57:

They probably supply the tools with the same hand as most people would use them vertically. You could lock the threads and run the machine in reverse, if it has that capability.

Yes old mart my mill is the same as yours. So could run backwards if i weld the arbor on which my mate has done with his after a reverse disaster. Not the ideal though. If i ever need to bore wide holes i will have to buy some of the correct ones for the job in absence of having any 12mm HSS steel in the draw. Cheers.

Steve.

Simon Collier27/11/2020 22:55:40
394 forum posts
58 photos

Just turn any steel 12 mm and cross drill for HSS tool bit. My 50 mm boring head came with a tool with an angled square hole for HSS bits. I've also run mine in reverse. I didn't even think about the head unscrewing from the arbor. Luckily it didn't.

old mart28/11/2020 14:40:56
2472 forum posts
169 photos

I wouldnt weld the arbor onto the boring head, I would do it up tightly and drill and tap a hole for a grub screw across the joint. Then you could get it apart at a later date if required

Steviegtr28/11/2020 16:43:48
1779 forum posts
235 photos
Posted by old mart on 28/11/2020 14:40:56:

I wouldnt weld the arbor onto the boring head, I would do it up tightly and drill and tap a hole for a grub screw across the joint. Then you could get it apart at a later date if required

Good idea, never thought of that.

Steve.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest