Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What am I?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
modeng200027/11/2020 13:33:34
238 forum posts
1 photos

Fred's presence here is to show that a person can be respected for their skills just as much as someone with qualifications. Media personality or not, I would like to see another of his equal.

John

Martin Kyte27/11/2020 13:45:22
2155 forum posts
38 photos

I'd consider him to be a natural engineer. He definitely came up with solutions to problems which is a fairly good rough and ready yardstick in my book.

regards Martin

Neil Wyatt27/11/2020 14:13:40
18409 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles

I've only read about 4/5 of this thread... it is getting long!

I'm surprised not to have seen mention that the title of 'Engineer' has a protected status in most European countries, but not in the UK.

In the UK if you consider yourself an engineer you can call yourself one, or it can be used in any job title that involves some form of engineering in the role.

In the UK we usually rely on fellowship membership of some other institution to supply post-nominal letters which serve a function of identifying professionals etc.

Note that " only fellowships of learned societies are listed, while fellowships and memberships may be listed for professional bodies " (Debrett's via Wikipedia).

Any profession can set up its own professional institute. An institute may receive a Royal Charter - this in itself does not confer chartered status on its members. I am a member of the Chartered Institute of Ecologists and Environmental Managers and my MIEEM became an MCIEEM when it got the charter. My chartered status though comes from the Society for the Environment, CEnv which acts as an 'umbrella' for numerous professional environmental institutes. Just like engineers, anyone can call themselves an environmentalist (even if they haven't got a beard and sandals) but you need a CEnv to be a Chartered Environmentalist.

So, in short, Chartered Engineers or members of engineering professional bodies use appropriate letters to show professional status rather than having 'engineer' in their job titles or as a post nominal (like the European 'Ing.'

Neil

Howard Lewis27/11/2020 14:46:29
4143 forum posts
3 photos

In this country, the establishment, probably coming from a classical background, tend to regard Engineers as being "in trade" and so of lesser value to society..

On the continent, Engineers are valued. Many years ago, helping a young Dutch couple with a problem on their car, another Dutch couple looked on and said respectfully, "Oh, you are an Engineer!" when I offered to try to solve the problem, (Uncured by the local Swiss garage ) A few drops of oil in the right place come cheaper than a new starter motor!

It was an alliance of theoretical knowledge and practical experience, really.

I have worked with many qualified Engineers who brought about world leading technology, (Who greatly added to my knowledge ) but sadly with a few who hardly knew how to screw a nut onto a bolt.

A combination of knowledge, aptitude, and ability is a powerful thing!

Howard

Andrew Johnston28/11/2020 11:06:27
5828 forum posts
662 photos

Jouke,

I know of Almelo although I've never been there. I can't remember if the train from Schipol went through there before Hengelo or was direct from Apeldoorn.

My work on pulse compression radar was purely at Cambridge. During my time in Enschede I was working for Ericsson as a subcontractor from an engineering consultancy in Cambridge. We worked on an early tablet. The project never went anywhere; although a good idea the technology at the time wasn't up to the job, coupled with appalling company project management. The Ericsson factory was right next to the football stadium and station at Drienerlo. I was very impressed with Dutch trains. Fast, clean, cheap and on time to the second. I was working in Enschede around the time the fireworks factory blew up and flattened a good bit of the surrounding suburb, although not there to witness the actual explosion.

Andrew

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest