RR Merlin Scale Models

Where is it now?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JA17/04/2021 13:51:41
1140 forum posts
72 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 17/04/2021 12:20:48:

Try asking the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust. They may know its whereabouts..

Howard,

You can try but they are dormant at present.

I may have a report on the talk given to the Bristol branch almost 40 years ago. The talk would have would have been film and that would be available in normal times. The engine (which one I do not know) was run at the end of the talk.

JA

Howard Lewis18/04/2021 14:53:02
4738 forum posts
10 photos

The R-R Heritage Trust suffers from exhibits being moved / stored within the factory, as well as the effects of Covid restrictions.but I will ask my contact , although we are both ex Oil Engine Division, to see what he can find out.

Howard

Daggers20/04/2021 11:50:57
22 forum posts

I was lucky to see Barrys engine a couple of times and watched it run sometime in the 1980s.

At an much earlier exhibition i viewed his embryo merlin, just a large chunk of alloy with pockets milled out. What a craftsman.

He was always a very private man but still active in 2008 as he exhibited his Eagle 22 in the ME exhibition and came away with a cup.

A picture of him is in issue 4338.

The last time I heard of him was in about 2018 when a someone mentioned the they had spoken to him, but I really can’t confirm that.

I also seem to remember that at one exhibition I attended there were two merlin engines which sat side by side, one built by Barry and another by a different builder.

My father was a Merlin mechanic during the war and when i showed him Barrys engine on the front cover of the ME he was totally in awe of the mans skill.

Martyn Ball24/04/2021 01:28:54
10 forum posts

Hi all. i sent a message regarding ' do you own a bridgeport'? no answers so you don't.

JasonB24/04/2021 06:57:12
20442 forum posts
2267 photos
1 articles

Probably lost in a thread that some of our Bridgeport owners may not be following. There are quite a few who have them.

Jon Lawes24/04/2021 09:34:47
529 forum posts

Maybe they were put off by the previous comment and didn't want to deviate this thread off track, or decided not to engage as sometimes it just isn't worth it when the person asking has been disagreeable to converse with.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest