T51 Dixon style tool holders?

Is there a dimensional standard?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bo'sun13/11/2020 09:25:02
602 forum posts
2 photos

Good morning,

In response to a previous topic of mine, I purchased an inexpensive T51 (as advertised) Dixon style tool holder from Amazon, hopefully to fit my Warco QCTP. I reasoned, that if it didn't fit, I hadn't lost much.

The tool holder duly arrived and appeared realy well made. It fitted one side of the QCTP perfectly, but the second side would barely clamp up. I'm guessing there's a dimensional issue?

Presumably (and I say that cautiously) there is some sort of dimensional standard for these? Anyone know where I can find one?

DC31k13/11/2020 09:40:06
654 forum posts
2 photos

Start here:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=135594

Continue here:

Google "dickson toolpost dimensions" and look at images.

Try a different combination of eccentric cams, sides and top-hat parts (number the holes 1 & 2, the cams 1 & 2 and the top-hats 1& 2. Try all possibilities).

John Hinkley13/11/2020 10:09:04
1301 forum posts
423 photos

I bought a Dixon type QCTP many years ago when I first bought my lathe. I had problems from the word go with the tool holders not clamping securely to the tool post. I traced the problem to poor machining of the top hat parts and ended up making new ones. After that, it worked ok-ish but I replaced it with a wedge type when we came back to the UK. So, the problem is solvable, if you can isolate the cause.

John

Bo'sun13/11/2020 10:19:37
602 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for the replies.

All of the original tool holders supplied by Warco fit and clamp satisfactorily, so I'm reluctant to start swapping things around at this stage. I have however, got things to work with some narrow shims to improve the clamping force, so my initial thoughts are dimensional errors.

Tony Pratt 113/11/2020 10:24:49
1926 forum posts
12 photos

Your problem[s] will undoubtedly be poor quality & varying machined dimensions on the critical sizes, I changed to a wedge type and am well pleased.

Tony

Bo'sun13/11/2020 11:25:00
602 forum posts
2 photos

Yes Tony, "varying machined dimensions" does indeed seem to be the issue. Further investigation shows the (for want of a better word) ears, that the top hat clamps onto, are around 0.50mm thinner than ones that work. A narrow 0.47mm (that's what I had) shim bonded to each ear does the job. Not perfect or desirable, but at least I now have a useable tool holder that works in both positions.

Dave Daniels13/11/2020 11:28:42
83 forum posts

I had the same 'effect' with mine.

Clamps on one face but not t'other. Well, they did but not very effectively.

If you faff about as I did swapping bits around to see just what the hell was going on you may find, as it appears Mr. Hinckley did, that the discrepancy lies with the ( WARCO ) tool-post parts. In my case was one of the pistons / top-hats.

I don't have a work-around. I only use one face at a time anyway. Now I know what the game is it doesn't cause me any problems. If I get really chokker with it I'll make another piston.

The two WARCO tool-holders clamp up at different 'angles of clamp' on the wrench depending on which face I use.

Summary:

I have 8 toolholders. 2 WARCO & 6 RDGT51

ALL fit on one clamping face.

The RDG holders don't clamp properly on the other.

The 2 WARCO holders need more clamping on the second face.

The effect follows the piston on face 2.

D.

Edited By Dave Daniels on 13/11/2020 11:31:42

Edited By Dave Daniels on 13/11/2020 11:32:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest