Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Myford ML7 Chucks - Which one?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steviegtr12/11/2020 22:20:28
1912 forum posts
253 photos

If you can get hold of a used 100mm griptru 3 jaw it has a very accurate adjustability. I got one on the myford ,when purchased along with a 125mm 4 jaw independent. I say used because it looks like they are around £500 new.

Mine was running out nearly 9 thou & i just thought it was how a 3 jaw was. Until i saw a thread on here about them being adjustable. This is how accurate i got mine at the moment. Other makes i cannot comment on as this is all i have.

Steve.

griptru.jpg

griptru 1.jpg

Michael Gilligan12/11/2020 23:34:01
17328 forum posts
787 photos
Posted by Martin Kyte on 12/11/2020 20:35:43:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/11/2020 21:53:58:
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 10/11/2020 20:36:41:

Here's the quote from the Myford website:

THIS 125mm CHUCK IS TOO HEAVY TO MOUNT ON ANY MYFORD WITHOUT THE M42.5 x 2mm 4MT SPINDLE

Aaah ... Fond memories

It’s almost exactly five years since we looked at that ^^^
**LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=111162

MichaelG.

Can I point out that the chuck in question was a 4 JAW self centring chuck backplate mouted. […]

Well yes, you can, Martin

... But may I then point out that my comment referred to the quoted text [in bold red] rather than a specific item of hardware ?

The same warning note is used in more than one product description.

MichaelG.

Edit: I’m not sure if this will work as a link ... but it should go directly to my 2015 post where you and I discussed the advice you had received from Myford: http://th=111162&p=1901283

Oops ... no it didn’t work as a link ... but it’s on page 3

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 12/11/2020 23:46:22

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 13/11/2020 00:01:44

Peter Spink12/11/2020 23:55:13
113 forum posts
41 photos

f866a526-b8cb-4995-b7af-89597d61d69a.jpeg

Was lucky to find this a couple of years ago - brand new and unused for £100.

A 125mm Pratt Burnerd self centring 4 jaw which I've been using on my S7 with no problems at all.

It's a 'nice to have but not essential' bit of kit but I wouldn't be without it now.

Only slight drawback is the chuck and backplate are quite heavy to manhandle but those with bigger lathes are probably quite used to that!

Steviegtr13/11/2020 23:17:38
1912 forum posts
253 photos

My mates Colchester student has a 4 jaw independant & self centering. It has 2 sets of key holes for the chuck key. Only problem it is around 9" dia & i would never lift it. angry

Steve.

Martin Kyte14/11/2020 09:51:29
2216 forum posts
38 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 12/11/2020 23:34:01:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 12/11/2020 20:35:43:
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 10/11/2020 21:53:58:
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 10/11/2020 20:36:41:

Here's the quote from the Myford website:

THIS 125mm CHUCK IS TOO HEAVY TO MOUNT ON ANY MYFORD WITHOUT THE M42.5 x 2mm 4MT SPINDLE

Aaah ... Fond memories

It’s almost exactly five years since we looked at that ^^^
**LINK**

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=111162

MichaelG.

Can I point out that the chuck in question was a 4 JAW self centring chuck backplate mouted. […]

Well yes, you can, Martin

... But may I then point out that my comment referred to the quoted text [in bold red] rather than a specific item of hardware ?

The same warning note is used in more than one product description.

MichaelG.

Edit: I’m not sure if this will work as a link ... but it should go directly to my 2015 post where you and I discussed the advice you had received from Myford: **LINK**

Oops ... no it didn’t work as a link ... but it’s on page 3

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 12/11/2020 23:46:22

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 13/11/2020 00:01:44

Fair comment Michael. I know you are well aware of the history. I think Myfords are being a little over cautious and the warning seems to have been extended to other 125 chucks. My take is they are fine for occasional use but too big for a main chuck. The 4 Jaw independent screwed bodied chuck being the exception with it's small overhang.

regards Martin

Howard Lewis14/11/2020 15:33:22
4448 forum posts
8 photos

Has anyone suggested boring through the damaged jaw screw, making up a replacement end, and welding the two together?

It is even possible that removing the damaged screw, and squeezing together the fractured faces, possibly slightly veeing, and then MIG welding. Probably the pressure will need to be maintained while a couple of tack welds are made, before the whole crack is welded.Then filing back the weld, as little as possible, to ensure clearance may restore use.

The dings on the face, whilst signs of carelessness (to be charitable ) may not render the chuck useless.

Howard

Dr_GMJN14/11/2020 16:12:01
900 forum posts
Posted by Howard Lewis on 14/11/2020 15:33:22:

Has anyone suggested boring through the damaged jaw screw, making up a replacement end, and welding the two together?

It is even possible that removing the damaged screw, and squeezing together the fractured faces, possibly slightly veeing, and then MIG welding. Probably the pressure will need to be maintained while a couple of tack welds are made, before the whole crack is welded.Then filing back the weld, as little as possible, to ensure clearance may restore use.

The dings on the face, whilst signs of carelessness (to be charitable ) may not render the chuck useless.

Howard

Howard, the split screw doesn't affect the chuck - just looks bad. I can still tighten it up fine.

Howard Lewis14/11/2020 16:42:18
4448 forum posts
8 photos

You are in business then! Even if it looks unsightly.

Probably driving on the bottom part of the square. Pity that someone, in the past, has brutalised the chuck so much.

It was a good chuck, but even so, it may still function satisfactorily, despite its appearance..

The reason for warnings about fitting big chucks is the concern that the weight of the chuck will so great as to cause premature wear of the plain white metal bearings in the Headstock.

Keep us posted!

Howard

Dr_GMJN21/01/2021 21:06:31
900 forum posts

I've been waiting to get one of these, which I thought looked OK, and are recently back in stock:

3 Jaw Self Centring Cast Iron Lathe Chucks - Arc Euro Trade

But after measuring my original, the Arc one is considerably longer in terms of overhang, plus it needs a backplate which will add even more.

I'd rather have something much closer to the bearing. What do I search for, is it called a "low profile" chuck? Are they even available any more for the ML7?

Thanks.

Steviegtr22/01/2021 01:06:37
1912 forum posts
253 photos

There are many lathes that benefit from being shallow in design. It is not just the Myford that benefits from this. Many small lathes do. There is even a guy on youtube who turns a deeper model in to a shallow one. A lot of work though.

Being available. I think most chucks are available if you search for one. New or 2nd hand is a question. Without getting your hands on a 2nd hand one & trying it will be difficult. Beware , some of the imported ones are not as good as they look. Just saying. I guess companies like arc etc will give you at least very good back up if you are not happy with the product. Have you actually rang arc etc to speak to someone who knows the answers to your long standing questions.

Steve.

Hopper22/01/2021 02:28:17
5197 forum posts
114 photos

RDG sell a 100mm 3-jaw to screw straight on to the Myford spindle without a backplate. I dont know of any others.

As Stevie says, a good used Grip-Tru would be very nice to have for a fellow who likes things to be just so. But we all know how buying used without inspection etc can go. Safer bet to get started with the RDG. Maybe a Grip-Tru will pop up at a bargain price in the future and be worth a punt. But even then, I have had mixed quality items purchased from RDG in the past, ranging from very ordinary to good. Based on that, I'd rate them as a mid-range quality supplier.

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2021 02:31:24

Edited By Hopper on 22/01/2021 02:32:07

Tony Pratt 122/01/2021 09:37:05
1417 forum posts
6 photos

I'm not sure why but all the import chucks seem to be 'long', i,e, more overhang from the spindle bearings.

Tony

Dr_GMJN22/01/2021 09:44:06
900 forum posts

Thanks both.

Steve - I'd want a new chuck, I wouldn't risk second had unless of course it was new and unused. The chucks for sale from the usuals, or a Google search don't really need much further investigation - they are what they are.

It's just that I can't find a new chuck with similar dimensions to my existing one. Not sure if I'm searching for the wrong thing, but mine has a backplate, but no spigot - the spindle register and thread are inset into the back face of the chuck. It's overall length is 50mm. All the new ones I can find look to be getting on for double that.

Hopper - I think the RDG chuck you refer to is pretty much the same as the others I've seen in terms of length, it's just that the backplate is already fitted by the supplier. I will give them a call and see what's what.

I'm not bothered about a small increase in overhang, indeed with the current chuck, sometimes when working close to the jaws with a short tool length, the saddle felt is off the end of the slides.

I had a look at some old books (Sparey etc), and they show their chuck jaws overhanging the slides slightly. I noticed that this enables a packing piece to be put between the front slide and a jaw, as a rough indexing method. This is impossible with my chuck because the jaws are nowhere near the end of the slides. So I really don't know what a "standard" chuck is for the ML7.

Dr_GMJN22/01/2021 10:12:01
900 forum posts

I just spoke to RGD.

All their chucks are backplate types with an external spigot.

They did say that they've sold hundreds and never had a question or issues related to the length of the chuck.

So it seems like all currently available chucks for the ML7 are effectively similar lengths.

Unless someone can point me in the direction of a new chuck with an internal register rather than an external spigot?

Thanks.

Hopper22/01/2021 10:18:38
5197 forum posts
114 photos

Never seen them advertised anywhere. Even Myford these days does not. Youre only alternative might be to take a standard modern chuck, flip it round and clamp it to the face plate and turn your own thread and register recess in the inner diameter of it. Would necessitate ensuring there was enough meat in the right places to take the thread and recess.

Would be a lot easier to fit the modern type chuck and backplate. They seem to work ok.

One reason the modern chucks might be a bit wider is the chuck key pinion/barrel appear to be larger diameter and so take up more room.

Dave Halford22/01/2021 11:32:21
1291 forum posts
12 photos

Rotagrip still sell them, but it will make your eyes water

Dr_GMJN22/01/2021 12:12:56
900 forum posts

Hopper - agreed, I think I'll go for the Arc one and machine the backplate myself. I can then at least thin the backplate a bit at the same time as machining the spigot.

I suppose I should re-check the front bearing play, since I assume the longer working distance from the bearing will exacerbate any looseness here. Any advice on tolerances, checking and adjusting would be great.

Dave - yes, I should have said that as per previous suggestions on the thread, I looked at Rotagrip chucks, but they are well out of my price range.

Thanks all.

Dave Halford22/01/2021 12:40:44
1291 forum posts
12 photos

Don't thin that backplate very much and the spigot is the only register for the spindle/backplate joint + the spindle can't stick out of the backplate.

Just cut the chuck register.

Dr_GMJN22/01/2021 13:13:50
900 forum posts
Posted by Dave Halford on 22/01/2021 12:40:44:

Don't thin that backplate very much and the spigot is the only register for the spindle/backplate joint + the spindle can't stick out of the backplate.

Just cut the chuck register.

As I understand it, so long as the register boss is left untouched at the bearing end, and the spindle thread doesn't protrude beyond the face of the register boss (ie into the chuck), everything should be OK?

For example, If I turn the register, and the end of the spindle is, say, 5mm from the register face, I could machine 5mm off the backplate with no issue? Assuming of course that leaves about 5 mm -10 mm of backplate thickness. I'm not suggesting thinning the backplate itself to a couple of mm or anything like that.

Nigel McBurney 122/01/2021 13:52:19
821 forum posts
3 photos

The comment on a the cost of a Myford 3 jaw 100 mm chuck sold by Rotagrip is classed as eye watering,for a start if decent work is expected from your lathe then it should be fitted with a good condition r new chuck,the Myford Burnerd 3 jaw with threaded body set the body of the chuck closer to the spindle to reduce overhang, the cost is £321 is this really expensive for a good 3 jaw,back in 1967 when I was looking to buy a ML7 the cost of the direct mounted chuck was £14 and 2 shillings now in those days a skilled engineering worker was earning around or or a couple of pounds above this figure per week Nowadays according to my info a skilled man now earns around twice the amount so could possibly buy two 3 jaw chucks for a weeks wage instead of one in 1967, Its not really eye watering prices its just that we have got used to with cheap fsuspect quality far eastern imports.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest