By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Delay to Issue 299

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
derek hall 130/11/2020 16:05:51
125 forum posts

Got my paper version of MEW today, all looks good (as always!)

Slightly disappointed not to have a repeat of a "Christmassy" pic on the front like there was a few years ago when someone "decorated" their milling machine to look like a Christmas tree....very funny...!

Maybe a competition for next year?

Regards to all

Derek

houstonceng30/11/2020 17:08:29
30 forum posts
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 30/11/2020 15:37:59:
Posted by houstonceng on 29/11/2020 18:05:57:

Well. My Subscription issue of 299 arrived yesterday, however, I’m a bit disappointed that the reprint of the 4-facet drill sharpening article in 293 have been reprinted again in 299. I know MEW is probably short of copy, but reprinting an article twice in a short toile is bad editing.

My personal error I'm afraid.

).

While I have a spreadsheet that keeps track of first appearances of articles, for repeats I use a separate one but in error I didn't mark this as used.

When the system I have been using to keep track of archive articles fell down, the second line of defence - Andy the designer - wasn't there to spot the duplication as and his wife ended up in hospital with Covid, (Yvette dropped back in for one issue). Happily Andy and his wife are both OK now.

I'm a bit sad if a mistake of this nature be enough to make someone stop taking the magazine.

Neil

As I have bought MEW since Issue 1, I’m very unlikely to stop just because of a simple mistake. However, I was a bit worried that the deja vu was just in my mind, so had to look back in the archived copies to ensure it wasn’t.

Rockingdodge01/12/2020 11:37:54
269 forum posts
52 photos

.Hi Neil,

MEW arrived this morning and ME 3653 arrived yesterday but the digital versions are not showing on Pocketmags!

Any reason why? Only asking as I normally receive these a week before the paper copy.

Roger

JasonB01/12/2020 12:26:56
19603 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles
Posted by Rockingdodge on 01/12/2020 11:37:54:

.Hi Neil,

MEW arrived this morning and ME 3653 arrived yesterday but the digital versions are not showing on Pocketmags!

Any reason why? Only asking as I normally receive these a week before the paper copy.

Roger

See Neil's post at the bottom of previous page.

Michael Belfer03/12/2020 07:00:53
21 forum posts
1 photos

It all seems a bit defeatist: its not available so probably it has been delayed. Reminds me of the old cartoon of a liitle old lady telling the TV serviceman standing next to the blank screen "It must be that switch, when I turn it on nothing happens. "

So, how about finding out what is not happening, since the material comprising 299 has made it (by some sort of miracle, obviously and equally obviously through the softcopy stage and) onto paper? Or is there not even someone enabled to pick up a phone and ask "what has/ has not happened?"

Alternatively, since my history with Pocketmags gives me not much confidence in their competence, perhaps the first question should be "has it been sent to P M ?"

Living in Melbourne and still just emerging from a brutally hard lockdown I have every sympathy for the UK, (now doing it much much tougher) but since 99-3/4% of the effort has been made to get issue 299 out, isnt there anyone equipped to push the final 1/4% over the finish line?

Michael ....... waaaay down under

JasonB03/12/2020 11:04:27
19603 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles

I e-mailed one of the MTM staff 10mins ago and got this reply regarding digital versions.

"Hi Jason,

Sorry about this, I’ve got 4653 scheduled to go up tomorrow and I’ve had some issues with MEW. I’ll try and get them up today, tomorrow at the absolute latest. Please feel free to let members of the forum know that there have been some technical difficulties, but they’ll be up as soon as I can possibly get them.

Thanks for your patience,

Beth"

JasonB03/12/2020 11:57:27
19603 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles

True to he word 299 now available from the archive, not checked Pocketmags.

Michael Belfer03/12/2020 19:28:08
21 forum posts
1 photos

Not sure which zone the timestamp is in, Jason, but what I think looks like nearly 7 hours later and no sign of 299 in Pocketmags yet.

Michael

JasonB03/12/2020 19:31:28
19603 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles

One assumes the technical issues Beth mentioned are still affecting the Pocketmags availability but at least you can look at it here.

DMB03/12/2020 21:31:00
1054 forum posts

"Dont miss an issue". It's like that other silly slogan by British Rail, "We're getting there".

Daft and some, pathetic company slogans usually come back to bite the directors arses. BR didn't quite get there b4 Maggie sold them off.

I keep a year planner every year with publication dates crossed of when received as I've missed out in the past so everything now closely monitored. Also use it for track days, members BBQ days, traction engine rallies etc in normal times. Have to say got no axe to grind, latest ME,MEW both arrived Wednesday, so like a pig in muck.

Dennis WA04/12/2020 08:29:40
77 forum posts
5 photos

Pocketmags copy available! Thanks to Beth for keeping her promise.

Howard Lewis04/12/2020 09:45:50
4177 forum posts
3 photos

If you are feeling cold, see the other thread on late arrival.

Plenty of heat generated there!

Whether or not justified is a different matter.

Some of it smacks of the devil making work for idle hands, in my opinion

Howard

Ian B.04/12/2020 10:39:09
163 forum posts
5 photos

Having read this thread through and commented heavily on the "other" thread I am a little concerned as to the comments about repeat articles. The remedy is entirely in your own hands gentlemen and ladies. You obviously can read and write. Take the time out to write properly and submit your efforts for scrutiny.

I have some experience having written for other mags in this area and more specific to those things I do. However again I can say that a number, a minority, seem to believe that sitting on their hands and hurling abuse and ridicule at those of us that have tried to bring new and variety to our reading is acceptable behaviour. At times it feels it feels as if publisher editors and admin agree with this appalling conduct and are complicit in it.

So before criticising content take a look in the mirror please first. It is up to the complainers to provide a plethora of material to the editors. Then we can judge their policies by the material that is published. The last thing I want to read is the constant droning of regular contributors about what shows they have attended and what sites they have visited. This is MODEL ENGINEER and MODEL ENGINEERS WORKSHOP.

Regards

Ian.

JasonB04/12/2020 10:51:14
19603 forum posts
2150 photos
1 articles

Ian, you may have missed it as I think I wrote in the other thread that the reason repeats are being published is not so much due to lack of incoming new articles but due to budgets being cut which limits what can be paid out to authors for new material. So unless the author is willing to submit an article for free there will be a limit on the amount of new material per issue.

I've offered Neil something for free and as you say others may want to do the same.

Neil Wyatt04/12/2020 10:59:10
18425 forum posts
718 photos
78 articles

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I've been trying to get some non-MEW related work finished this week (still trying... the client keeps getting hold of more data )

Thanks to everyone for your patience and especially Jason for keeping you informed.

On DMB''s slogans... how about "MEW - well worth waiting for!"

Neil

Michael Gilligan04/12/2020 11:18:56
17075 forum posts
762 photos
Posted by Ian B. on 04/12/2020 10:39:09:

Having read this thread through and commented heavily on the "other" thread I am a little concerned as to the comments about repeat articles. The remedy is entirely in your own hands gentlemen and ladies.

[…]

Sorry, Ian but I think it needs to be said:

MEW is not a ‘Club Newsletter’ ... it is a commercial operation.

MichaelG.

Ian B.04/12/2020 11:38:30
163 forum posts
5 photos

Thank you Jason I had missed your comment. I had not realised that you were under such tight budget restraints. My wife worked for quite a while for a provincial newspaper group and we are aware of the older NUJ lineage agreements. She used to pay them out.

When I first wrote for a magazine by invitation, sold internationally, in a two part series about my hobby and a particular project I was very surprised to receive a cheque (well 2 actually) for something I both enjoyed doing and writing about hopefully for the benefit of others. The unjustified later abuse and flak was not so good. However after other similar experiences I have tended to try and provide copy via the correspondence columns where no payment is either expected or made. That has been done across the globe now.

However Michael, I do not need any lecture on what is a commercial operation and what is not. I take your implication that I treat ME and MEW as monthly club rags as insulting. Please withdraw. I have NEVER written for club rags as most are political, parochial self interest for the few organs of their own ego. I have made my feelings on the club scene well known in writing as far away as the Antipodes and have been fully backed by REAL model engineers both here and there. Including one editor of long standing.

Regards

Ian

Edited By Ian B. on 04/12/2020 11:42:35

Peter G. Shaw04/12/2020 12:01:07
1232 forum posts
44 photos

Well, 299 has NOT reached me yet. Postie has been and gone so is it missing? Should I put in a complaint?

Articles. As someone who submits the occasional article, after being paid for the first ever article which caused me some problems with Her Majesties Thieves & Robbers, I asked for all future payments to be made to a charity of my choosing. I did this after discovering that this was indeed possible - I think it may have been a comment by the then Editor of MEW, although to be fair, he did suggest that they could (should?) use a charity of their choosing.

I didn't realise that articles could be submitted for publication without payment, and given the problems today, this does seem like a good idea if it helps to keep MEW alive. Ok, it does not seem right supporting MTM, a commercial undertaking, like this, but given the choice between nil payment and a magazine, or no magazine, then I know which way I would go. Unfortunately, illhealth & the cold are combining to prevent me completing the one article I have in progress.

Peter G. Shaw

Michael Gilligan04/12/2020 12:40:27
17075 forum posts
762 photos
Posted by Ian B. on 04/12/2020 11:38:30:

[…]

However Michael, I do not need any lecture on what is a commercial operation and what is not. I take your implication that I treat ME and MEW as monthly club rags as insulting. Please withdraw.

No offence or insult expressed or implied, Ian

If I have inadvertently offended you then I apologise sincerely.

I cannot, however, withdraw what was a simple statement of fact.

MichaelG.

Peter Greene04/12/2020 16:25:46
51 forum posts
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/12/2020 11:18:56:
Posted by Ian B. on 04/12/2020 10:39:09:

Having read this thread through and commented heavily on the "other" thread I am a little concerned as to the comments about repeat articles. The remedy is entirely in your own hands gentlemen and ladies.

[…]

Sorry, Ian but I think it needs to be said:

MEW is not a ‘Club Newsletter’ ... it is a commercial operation.

MichaelG.

Absolutely, Michael .... couldn't agree more!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest