By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Anyone with a Chester 626 mill can help me with a little problem?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle02/11/2020 12:45:57
6042 forum posts
220 photos

It was mentioned above that if you get to the point of hitting thigs to support the quill. You actually want to support the spindle so there is no force on the bearings which are between the quill and spindle.

Ady102/11/2020 12:56:48
4755 forum posts
715 photos

Unless it's been glued in the way I always got a jammed taper to drop out of a spindle was to side mill with it

Stick a milling cutter into it, and side mill with the tip unsupported

Taper stuff always fails and drops out if the tip is not supported... so only leave a small gap

GL

Paul L02/11/2020 13:46:17
69 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Gav

I would make a 'puller' similar to below. slide it up the sleeve and rest it on the top edge. Then put a large socket over the sleeve at the bottom with the thread through the square drive hole, a couple of washers then a nut and 'jack' the sleeve out.

(please excuse drawing i only had 'paint' available frown

Regards

Paul

test.jpg

Adrian R202/11/2020 14:14:45
118 forum posts
5 photos

Would some plumbers freeze spray help? Just a thought, I've not tried it on this application but it does sometimes work on things that you can't apply force or heat to.

Gavlar02/11/2020 15:38:18
79 forum posts
4 photos

I didn't think of milling with it and I'm not sure I can now as I've messed up the inside of the reducer driling through the flats. I put a bolt through and used a cordless impact driver (not the sort you whack with a hammer!) with a slotted socket, to try and vibrate it out. Didn't work.

I have used a full can of freeze spray in earlier attempts. Didn't work either.

I like the puller idea. I'll try it over the next couple of days. Thanks.

old mart02/11/2020 21:36:27
3349 forum posts
208 photos

You might find that the MT2 used a 10mm or 3/8" drawbar which passed through the 12mm thread in the adaptor. If you can shine a light down the spindle and use a mirror to look up the adaptor, if you are lucky, some threads will be visible. Then a length of 12mm studding could remove it.

I have a slitting saw arbor in MT2 which fits in an R8 MT2 adaptor and the pair are held in the spindle with a 10mm drawbar. The 7/16" standard R8 drawbar thread is still present in the adaptor.

Flats are often put on MT centres for lathe tailstocks. Putting a spanner on and giving it a sharp tap with a copper hammer will usually break the taper.

Edited By old mart on 02/11/2020 21:41:52

chris stephens03/11/2020 21:29:51
1049 forum posts
1 photos

Do i understand correctly that you drilled a hole through the stuck sleeve, if so put a bar through the hole and beat soundly on a drift down the quill. I'm probably getting it wrong so dont shoot the messenger.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest