Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Taper identification

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Me.30/10/2020 12:32:57
42 forum posts
1 photos

OK thanks for that - but at the moment it is neither 30 or 40 - its in-between the two - it has the same angle as the 30 40 50 etc but its larger than a 30 and smaller than a 40.

Specific to the Herbert machines of that age....

Having looked at tooling for the 30 I would love to have it a 30 but until someone comes up with the perfect solution i can only work with what I have......

Brian H30/10/2020 12:50:23
1862 forum posts
106 photos

If it's in between 30 & 40 then it sounds like it's a 1 3/8NS (non-stick). I did wonder about that but the suggestion that it had been re-machined fooled me, unless someone had just taken off a small amount to clean it up.

Brian

Alistair Robertson 130/10/2020 13:00:53
116 forum posts
6 photos

Ah, Then it is most certainly BT35 which was used in the early 60's but is being used on some mainly Japanese CNC mills today.

Not common so machinung out to BT40 would certainly be the way to go, both practically and financially!

Me.30/10/2020 13:29:30
42 forum posts
1 photos

surprisesurprisesurprise BT35..... ahhhh - where how what..... Anyone got the dimensions of a BT35 taper... do you think it would be that simple.

I'm taking the machine apart for a good clean and service and its a very easy machine to work on - aorta's from the weight - so removing the spindle should be pretty straight forward.... I hope.

Me.30/10/2020 13:34:08
42 forum posts
1 photos

Found a dimensional drawing of the BT35 and that looks too big - it looks like its 38mm at the largest section on the taper I only have 34mm ish where then BT30 is 31mm ish....

I had my hopes up then....

Emgee30/10/2020 14:11:06
1764 forum posts
237 photos

Perhaps this is as yours ?

unknown taper on herbert.jpg

Pete White30/10/2020 14:33:03
121 forum posts
14 photos

It is as Brian says I am sure. If you make a sleeve you only need one, then all int 30 stuff will fit, new stuff is not expensive from our sponsors. Can you send a pic of that one tool that you have with the ns taper, I would not carve that up. If you make a sleeve and mess up you can easily have another go, it can be a little tricky to get the diameters right, a little bit changes to lengh quite a lot, if you see what I mean,

Me.30/10/2020 14:36:19
42 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks  - mine doesn't have the tangs as per the drawing - but I would have thought it was if its from a Herbert machine.

Posted by Emgee on 30/10/2020 14:11:06:

Perhaps this is as yours ?

unknown taper on herbert.jpg

Edited By Me. on 30/10/2020 14:37:33

Me.30/10/2020 14:41:01
42 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Pete

The picture is at the start of the thread - that is the only thing that fits in my spindle.

Posted by Pete White on 30/10/2020 14:33:03:

It is as Brian says I am sure. If you make a sleeve you only need one, then all int 30 stuff will fit, new stuff is not expensive from our sponsors. Can you send a pic of that one tool that you have with the ns taper, I would not carve that up. If you make a sleeve and mess up you can easily have another go, it can be a little tricky to get the diameters right, a little bit changes to lengh quite a lot, if you see what I mean,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest