By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Drummond B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
mark roberts 728/10/2020 10:38:12
4 forum posts

Hi all, I have recently aquired a nice little drummond B and wondered if anyone can help with the change wheels. I'm very new to metal lathes but have alot of experience with restoring wadkin wood working machines.

When I run the lathe and engage the feed it travels to the right. Does the direction change by the change wheels.

Hopper28/10/2020 11:26:20
4868 forum posts
105 photos

Yes. You need another gear in the train to reverse the direction. Some Drummonds (eg M type) have a cast lug on the headstock to add the extra gear on a stud. Not sure about the B model. More info is available on the Facebook page for Drummond Lathes and the Groups.io Drummond Lathes group. Also quite a bit of good info on lathes.co.uk

not done it yet28/10/2020 11:48:02
5124 forum posts
20 photos

As it is going the wrong way I would have expected there was already an extra gear in the gear train and it needs removing from the chain....?

Bazyle28/10/2020 21:52:04
5555 forum posts
207 photos

Mark, Photos on here work differently so you can't just post an imgur link. You have to upload to a photo album (see green menu at top) then link that withthe camera symbol just above the text input box next to the smileys.

Just to tease everyone as Mark has the answer from Groups.io can you spot the problem from his photo copied below?

drummond change wheel.jpg

Hopper29/10/2020 04:20:39
4868 forum posts
105 photos

Driving off the end of the backgear spindle instead of the headstock mandrel? How bizarre is that? Some boy scientist has been at work there.

Ady129/10/2020 10:40:24
3938 forum posts
522 photos

hehe

multiple cogs too... machiavellian drummond owners are always up to something!

muhahaha

Edited By Ady1 on 29/10/2020 10:43:10

mark roberts 729/10/2020 17:23:28
4 forum posts

Aparently the apron has been altered also to give handwheel feed by a added on rack and a split feed nut.

This should go well with a little jig borer I got recently. I have to get 5OO kg of bandsaw out of the car before I play any further

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest