Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Align Power Drawbar Problem

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Heseltine26/10/2020 21:45:54
479 forum posts
140 photos

My Gate PBM2000 (Bridgeport clone) has an Align Power Drawbar fitted. This is a great device as I have a somewhat knackered right shoulder. It has worked great until today. It pulls the R8 tooling into the spindle without any issues. Trying to release tooling is a totally different case. It appears to have a totally lack of power. It will undo the drawbar eventually but it sounds very strained.

I have checked the threads in all the R8 tooling and they are clean as a whistle. I have released the power drawbar mechanism from the top of the head. I can move the drawbar no problem. I can do up and release tooling quite happily using a spanner. There was some damage to the splines on the top but I guess this is always going to happen to a certain extend as the drive nut is thrown/pushed onto the drawbar. The slight damage has been cleaned up with a file.

The power drawbar appears to pull onto the drawbar without any issues.

The compressor is running okay and air is supplied at the 90psi suggested.

Has anyone experience this problem or got any ideas.

Thanks,

Colin

Steviegtr26/10/2020 21:50:15
1625 forum posts
196 photos

How do you lube the air hammer / device internally. My impact gun was getting low on power & it just needed the internals lubricated. I have an oiler on that airline now & have no further bother. Or am i on the wrong track here. Sorry in advance if so.

Steve.

Colin Heseltine27/10/2020 11:53:27
479 forum posts
140 photos

Steve,

There is an oiler on the supply line. I maybe need to double check it is working ok.

Just seems odd that is tightens up okay but not release.

Colin

Dave Halford27/10/2020 12:10:20
1011 forum posts
9 photos

Air too wet? It's been proper humid recently.

Might be the valving or hammer sticking/broken or the vanes in the air motor are sticking.

Try a shot of airtool oil direct into the inlet, don't aim the exhaust port at your face smiley

Colin Heseltine27/10/2020 20:36:45
479 forum posts
140 photos

Having spoken to Gates technical man today and sent him some photos of the top of the drawbar. He is of the opinion I need replacement drawbar. So quick order in this afternoon and hope it arrives tomorrow.

Only downside is I need to swing the head through 90 degrees to get enough clearance to remove the drawbar. This means a bit more practice at tramming the head.

Colin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest