Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

S50 Cylinder Casting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Bailey 225/10/2020 16:39:56
1 forum posts

Hi All

I've just started work on a Stuart S50 as a first project. All going well so far, nearly had a cylinder boring disaster but managed to save it thankfully and ended up with a decent bore but that's a story for another time!

Now I have the bore sorted I was looking to tackle port face next but I think I might have a bit of an issue with the casting. The actual features of the ports seem to be really deeply recessed below the cast face. I need to take about 3/64 off the face to get to the finished dimension but the cast port features are at least 1/16th below the surface. Looking at photos from other builds all the ports seem to be nearly level with the cast surface.

As far as I can see I have two options;

1/ t's a casting fault and it might be replaced.

2/ Machine off enough material to get a good port face and increase the finished valve chest thickness to compensate. I think I would just have enough material in the casting to make this work and keep the relative spacing between the piston & valve rods.

I couldn't find anyone else that had a similar issue so I'm not sure if this is a common thing or if it really is a casting issue, I was just wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before. Other than this the casting seems to be free of the more common issues.

Kind Regards

Richard

David George 126/10/2020 07:28:52
1381 forum posts
448 photos

Hi Richard I havn't made this model but I think you have answered your own question as you have invested time in the cylinder bore and there is sufficient material on the valve chest, personally I would clean up the casting to a working situation. Although maybe someone may suggest an intermediate plate or just sending it back for replacement.

David

mechman4826/10/2020 14:49:40
2789 forum posts
431 photos

I would go for # 2 as the easiest route. My S50 had similar issues with the valve chest; one side is thicker than the other by, IIRC 1/32 - .030" it looks odd/ offset but that is the finished dimensions, the thinner side goes to the port face so watch out for that.

George.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest