Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Silver Soldering for the Clockmaker

Horological Journal Nov. 2020 ...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan24/10/2020 11:29:31
16682 forum posts
727 photos

HJ was delivered this morning, featuring a nicely illustrated article by Jake Sutton

Pages 434 - 439

Non-subscribers might find it available in a decent public Library.

MichaelG.

Bob Stevenson24/10/2020 11:36:23
442 forum posts
7 photos

I wonder how many sliver soldering articles there have been in HJ over the years?.....I shall look out for this.

John Haine24/10/2020 13:17:33
3444 forum posts
185 photos

Latest in a series or articles by Jake Sutton on The Clock as a Work of Art. Jake also builds steam models and is a noted painter. The previous articles have also been extremely interesting and well worth looking up, though finding HJ if you're not a member is hard.

Bob Stevenson13/11/2020 10:12:29
442 forum posts
7 photos

Just a comment on this interesting article which we are going to discuss at the next zoom meeting of my clock club (EFHC).......I like the general tone of the article and one can tell and see that he gets good results using careful pre-planning and thought, the most important items when silver soldering in my view....

I noticed that he avoided any discussion about what exact flux he uses and just kept to "flux", as befits the wise man he obviously is!

One point which did get my attention was his mention of cleaning soldered items overnight in citric acid solution.......personally, I have had mixed results with this. I first tried it out useing the small sachet that came with my torch kit from our friends at Cup-Alloys and found that while it does clean the joint it also quickly attacks the brass surface leaving a a 'satin' finish with pink hue...presumably by exposing the copper molecules. I would hesitate to soak overnight in citric acid, but that just me!...anyone else tried CA and got good results?

bernard towers13/11/2020 11:30:09
44 forum posts
57 photos

Don’t understand you would have to wait 12 hours to silver solder a joint, perhaps you need to talk to Keith Hale (CUP) the man has over 40 years experience in silver soldering. Went to one of his lectures and dispelled lots of old wives recipes for success and since then my silver soldering has got better and better.

John Haine13/11/2020 11:46:41
3444 forum posts
185 photos

I think it's 12 hours in CA after soldering, not before...

jaCK Hobson13/11/2020 12:26:12
173 forum posts
29 photos

At the start of this Covid thing, I took the precaution to buy and Oxygen concentrator 'just in case'. It is great for using with my chinese 'little torch' for silver soldering.

bernard towers13/11/2020 13:11:41
44 forum posts
57 photos

If using easy flo fluxes (not tenacity) it is only necessary to put in boiling water after making the joint.

CuP Alloys 113/11/2020 15:01:27
268 forum posts

Hi Bernard

Thanks for your kind words. You will probably remember that it doesn't matter in the slightest how clean the joint is at room temperature.

The only. consideration is the cleanliness at 650°C. Other than ensuring the joint is not covered in oil/grease, mud, residue from shot blasting or emery cloth, you can do nothing about that apart from making sure you use the right flux. That ensures successful brazing

Pickling before silver soldering is a waste of time.

Glad to have been of help in the past. You can always contact my friends at CuP Alloys or me via a personal message.

Keith

Bazyle13/11/2020 17:25:55
5580 forum posts
207 photos

I happened to visit Jake Sutton's shop a few months ago to pick up an ebay tool purchase having no idea who he was or that the address was even a shop. A single magnificent longcase clock adorned the window but inside the door on one side was a 12 in optical rotary table and on the other side the chassis of I think an immaculate Bulldog (loco). His desk had a dial drawing in progress (manual draughting) and the walls were hung with watercolours, which I now realise were his own work. There were no other clocks on view.
Knowing his name and that he is a clockmaker should enable you to find his website without a link.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest