Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

what size vice for mill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet26/10/2020 11:52:08
5141 forum posts
20 photos

Posted by Emgee on 26/10/2020 11:19:58:

An ER25 chuck will hold up to 16mm shank cutters, the largest recommended for the machine, it will be lighter and smaller to allow access to more restricted areas that need machining.

Emgee

ER collets will hold more than just end mills and are useful for both mill and lathe.. I have both ER32 and 16, but have just needed to buy an ER 40 for a job to avoid damaging the parts on a pump - like some muppet had done previously, when it has been taken apart.

JasonB26/10/2020 12:22:41
19127 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

Could you not have got an "oversize" ER 32 Collet as they can be had upto 1"

If you are on a limited budget and hope to get the most out of a single set of collets then ER32 is probably the best bet giving reasonable capacity for use on the lathe and collet blocks when used for work holding with the slight disadvantage of being a bit bulky when used with small cutters and/or on a small mill. If purely for cutter holding on a minimill then ER 16 or ER20 would do.

old mart26/10/2020 14:49:15
2219 forum posts
164 photos

The trouble with getting large er collet holders for a small mill is the cost of cutters over 16mm in diameter. The big ones are generally longer and take up valuble Z axis room. That is why I opted for er25 with a maximum of 16mm years ago and have never regretted it since. If a mounting plate for using the er collets on a lathe is also on the wish list, then the bigger the better, as then the collets will be also used for workholding. I hold 18 and 20mm cutters in R8 direct collets, and have 25mm indexible cutters with turned down shanks to fit in them also. Above that are 40, 50, 63 and 80mm shell mills. With your small machine, 40mm would be the largest the power could run.

not done it yet26/10/2020 18:07:11
5141 forum posts
20 photos

Could you not have got an "oversize" ER 32 Collet as they can be had upto 1"

Was that directed at me? If so, no - I needed a collet for something somewhat larger than 1”. I could have attacked the job in a different way, but the ER 40 will get used for other jobs.  It was simply an example to demonstrate that the maximum collet system purchased is not necessarily limited to the maximum end mill size quoted for the poster’s milling machine.

Edited By not done it yet on 26/10/2020 18:07:55

JasonB26/10/2020 18:19:12
19127 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

Yes I was enquiring of you NDIY, though with ER40 standard largest size being 26mm I could not see the reason to go larger unless you are using oversize ER40 collets.

not done it yet26/10/2020 22:18:24
5141 forum posts
20 photos

unless you are using oversize ER40 collets.

As above, I am.

Peter Etherington 229/10/2020 15:05:33
21 forum posts
1 photos

The reason im going for the er32 collet chuck is that I want one for my lathe, so two for the price of one.

old mart29/10/2020 18:23:40
2219 forum posts
164 photos

It is useful to have the lathe option, I also have a lathe mount, but it was bought some years after choosing er 25. I found that the cheap sets of collets were a bit of a lottery regarding accuracy. I have some Cutwell and Vertex collets in the most used metric sizes for milling cutters, (6-8-10-12 and 16mm).

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest