Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

T Type Tap Wrenches

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
William Chitham20/10/2020 14:47:47
62 forum posts
19 photos

I've broken the T type wrench that came with my Aldi tap & die set so looking for a replacement. Lots available at Zoro etc but some are described as English type and some as Japanese type - what's the difference? I want to to cover the 3mm-6mm range and I'd quite like one with removable tommy bar but beyond that no preferences, any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks, William.

Emgee20/10/2020 16:04:52
1763 forum posts
237 photos

William

Check out the Eclipse style such as model 141 and 142, some other makers list similar styles but may not be as concentric in use as the Eclipse.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 20/10/2020 16:09:03

David George 120/10/2020 16:57:17
1381 forum posts
448 photos

The Starrett make are far superior but cost is to be taken into consideration and Eclipse is quite good as well. I have both makes and both are 35 to 40 years old.

David

Chris Evans 620/10/2020 17:43:01
1779 forum posts

Plus 1 for the Starrett

Bill Phinn20/10/2020 22:06:28
382 forum posts
70 photos
Posted by William Chitham on 20/10/2020 14:47:47:

Lots available at Zoro etc but some are described as English type and some as Japanese type - what's the difference? I want to to cover the 3mm-6mm range and I'd quite like one with removable tommy bar but beyond that no preferences, any recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks, William.

I've got three of the Zoro Japanese types, William. I've also got the Aldi tap set, so I'll tell you the range out of that set each wrench holds.

Order Code: ZT1157490X - 2.0-4.0MM Jis Chuck Type Tap Wrench-slimline

This will hold max. 2.5 in the lower jaws [2.5 not in Aldi set]. I can't tell you min. in lower jaws 'cos I don't own any taps smaller than 2.5. It will hold a min. of 4mm and a max. of 6mm in the upper jaws.

Order Code: ZT1157492X - 3.0-3.9MM Jis Chuck Type Tap Wrench-long

This will comfortably hold 3mm in both upper and lower jaws and hold max. 4mm in upper. Upper jaws will hold much smaller than 3mm if needed.

Order Code: ZT1157488X - 4.0-5.0MM Jis Chuck Type Tap Wrench-standard

This will not hold 3mm or above in lower jaws, and will hold a min. of 4mm and a max. of 6mm in upper jaws.

Bear in mind that the across-the-flats measurements on different brand taps are not necessarily identical in size even if the threads are.

EtA: No idea what all that blank space is doing below my text. I did not consciously insert it, and cannot, for some reason, edit it out.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 20/10/2020 22:08:39

William Chitham21/10/2020 11:21:05
62 forum posts
19 photos

Thanks all, I've ordered a 2-4, 4-5.5 & 5.6-6.2 Japanese style which will cover everything I need for now.

William.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest