By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Unimat 3 vertical mill/drilling attachement pulley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alan Gosling20/10/2020 13:08:08
6 forum posts

Hi, I have received a Unimat 3 lathe and vertical drilling/milling attachement. Everything is in good order except the drive pulley for the vertical attachement is broken.

Anyone know where i can get a new one or can someone supply me the sizes so i could make one on the lathe? The pulley appears to be screwed on and at present the remaining bit has not been removed.

Thanks

Alan

JasonB20/10/2020 13:22:18
19098 forum posts
2100 photos
1 articles

Have a word with Pro Machne tools, they list a metal replacement.

Alan Gosling20/10/2020 13:28:09
6 forum posts

thanks that is excellent

JasonB20/10/2020 13:31:06
19098 forum posts
2100 photos
1 articles

If you do want to make one it's the same as the lathe Or you could just swap them over as needed

Alan Gosling20/10/2020 13:51:50
6 forum posts

Thanks for confirming it is the same as the lathe

not done it yet20/10/2020 13:57:59
5124 forum posts
20 photos

At over £43, I expect you will make one?!

I have a whole string of ally pulleys.  I would send you one at cost (might not be economical, depending on your location) if I have one of the right size.

Edited By not done it yet on 20/10/2020 14:01:41

John Olsen20/10/2020 21:37:58
1104 forum posts
91 photos
1 articles

On my Unimat 3, of nearly 40 years vintage, the pulley thread on the vertical attachment is 12mm by 1mm pitch. The one on the lathe spindle is of course 14mm by 1mm pitch, so that you cannot use the lathe pulley on the vertical spindle. Later production may of course vary, and it would have been a sensible idea if they did later make them the same . I made a set of toothed belt pulleys for my machine, which is quite a worthwhile modification.

Incidently, the speed ratings on the nameplate are purely the product of somebodies fevered dreams and the actual speeds are totally dependent on the load anyway. This does not seem to matter much in practice.

John

Alan Gosling21/10/2020 15:58:02
6 forum posts
Posted by John Olsen on 20/10/2020 21:37:58:

On my Unimat 3, of nearly 40 years vintage, the pulley thread on the vertical attachment is 12mm by 1mm pitch. The one on the lathe spindle is of course 14mm by 1mm pitch, so that you cannot use the lathe pulley on the vertical spindle. Later production may of course vary, and it would have been a sensible idea if they did later make them the same . I made a set of toothed belt pulleys for my machine, which is quite a worthwhile modification.

Incidently, the speed ratings on the nameplate are purely the product of somebodies fevered dreams and the actual speeds are totally dependent on the load anyway. This does not seem to matter much in practice.

John

Thanks John my machine wiill be about that age as well. I have now sourced the correct pulley and about to post seperatly for anyone else

Alan Gosling21/10/2020 16:05:39
6 forum posts
Posted by JasonB on 20/10/2020 13:22:18:

Have a word with Pro Machne tools, they list a metal replacement.

I have now found the correct pulley after several emails to emcomachinetools.co.uk Vertical pulley for unimat 3 vertical attachement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest