Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Help needed to identify a surface grinder

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
PETER ROACH19/11/2020 11:40:19
37 forum posts
15 photos

Pump mounted on rear of motor, 3 phase fractional hp. Extension tube on front of motor to which spindle mounted. It came with the milling vice mounted, but i do have a 10x6 mag chuck, that came with it. Missing the rapid traverse lever, but of original cast box base/stand. It also had a perspex front suds screen. Was given a clean restored Herbert Junior, but this takes up less space and despite the condition does a better job for what i need.

Paul L20/11/2020 08:28:17
49 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Peter,

I saw your message before I saw your posts and album.

Any chance you could tell me what Dia the spindle / wheel bore is please?

Thank you for you help.

Regards

Paul

PETER ROACH20/11/2020 09:39:13
37 forum posts
15 photos

Spindle dia/ wheel bore 1 1/4”. 31.75mm but this is at the end of an extension tube, that bolted to a faceplate on the end of the motor spindle. Machine came without a wheel, but with some diamond disc and lots of flanges. Not sure that they came off this machine as we had several different grinders in the deal.

On the rear end is the suds pump. I will take some more pictures.......

Peter

PETER ROACH21/11/2020 12:28:37
37 forum posts
15 photos

?trumpet ? on motor faceplate

PETER ROACH21/11/2020 12:33:18
37 forum posts
15 photos

More photos posted to the album, Never’s patented head, as manufactured by Horace Green &co, with trumpet and fully integrated suds pump.

Peter

Paul L24/11/2020 16:17:16
49 forum posts
24 photos

Started to strip the grinder down this afternoon prior to the arrival of the new head unit (thanks to Peters eagle eyes!).

All the guideways look like new despite the bellows being split and half a jet engine dropping inside.

Anyone any experience of purchasing replacement bellows?

20201124_152832.jpg20201124_142840.jpg

PETER ROACH24/11/2020 18:10:26
37 forum posts
15 photos

Paul,

Arceurotrade supply some bellows which may be suitable. However you may be able to salvage what you have. Don’t let it dry out any further, a bit like the Mary Rose. You need a good leather saddle soap or a leather sofa treatment and slowly feed it. Once it supple you can remove section that beyond hope, patch the holes and replace pieces. Either glue or stitch or staple. Even just a gorilla tape mend. Option B is to replace with rubber sheet skirts, but seems a shame to change them if you can restore. Someone with an small industrial sewing machine could be useful and a trawl around charity shops for old leather jackets. I been there done that, have a machine, just the task indoors on a winters night?

Peter

not done it yet24/11/2020 18:47:15
5349 forum posts
20 photos

If you were to check out Pete Rimmer’s and Rob Cox’s comprehensive threads on the Mig welding forum, where they document rebuilds of their surface grinders, most of your questions may well be not only answered but also demonstrated. There seems to be a considerable following, of surface grinders, on that platform.

PETER ROACH24/11/2020 20:40:11
37 forum posts
15 photos

Neither Pete Rimmer or Rob Cox appear as members, aliases? Found the threads on Eagle and others

RobCox24/11/2020 21:41:47
34 forum posts
19 photos

Yes I am😀. Try searching for RobCox instead!

The threads can be found on the Lathes and other machining equipment sub forum. Look for Eagle Surface Grinder Build. Enough information on what I did to cure insomnia!

Pete's thread is Eagle Mk3 surface grinder rebuild.

Rob

Paul L25/11/2020 12:36:09
49 forum posts
24 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 24/11/2020 18:47:15:

If you were to check out Pete Rimmer’s and Rob Cox’s comprehensive threads on the Mig welding forum, where they document rebuilds of their surface grinders, most of your questions may well be not only answered but also demonstrated. There seems to be a considerable following, of surface grinders, on that platform.

Any chance of a link please? i cant find the thread.

Paul

RobCox25/11/2020 12:59:52
34 forum posts
19 photos

Pete's thread:

**LINK**

My thread:

**LINK**

Rob

PETER ROACH28/11/2020 17:27:28
37 forum posts
15 photos

Sketch of trumpet to convert patented motor with face plate to surface grinder as used on GF3

Trumpet cone

Paul L29/11/2020 09:43:33
49 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for taking the time to do this (and for all the other help)

The motor will be here next week and I have plans now for the Christmas break!

I'll post some more pics later.

Regards

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest