What to do - need advice.

Milling machine disaster

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Me.12/10/2020 09:11:07
45 forum posts
7 photos

Hi All

Ive just been in formed by the shipping agents that the Milling machine I have just brought and in the process of shipping to me has "toppled over"....

You can Imagine my reaction to their comment, their excuse was "it must be top heavy" my explanation that wouldn't be the case and there fork driver didn't lift it properly is more likely the proper explanation for their incompetence.

I'm watiing on pictures of any damage but Ive still told them that I want the Mill shipped to me to assess the damage for myself.

There is some good news - it is insured for the full cost plus any other costs incurred so that make me a little more happier.

I will post pictures of the damage when it arrives but was really after advice on what to do - will it still be worth repairing if the table is damaged or would it be worth me just refusing the shipment and claim before I inspect the damage for myself.

Edited By Me. on 12/10/2020 09:11:51

JasonB12/10/2020 09:14:43
19171 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

Most mills are top heavy.

What mill is it and is it new or second hand?

Lee Rogers12/10/2020 09:16:56
85 forum posts

Talk to your insurance company before you do anything . The correct procedure is devil detail with insurance firms.

John Haine12/10/2020 09:28:50
3441 forum posts
185 photos

I wouldn't give them any excuse to blame me for any damage, would refuse to accept delivery and claim.

Me.12/10/2020 09:38:28
45 forum posts
7 photos

It is with the shippers insurance and they have all the details and have already told me that I can claim now or ship and then claim - If the damage is superficial I can claim for the repairs if its beyond repair I can claim for all costs.

Its a Herbert 10s - Old machine but still very usable, or was......

Speedy Builder512/10/2020 10:55:54
2150 forum posts
152 photos

refuse delivery and offer to buy the scrap value ??

peak412/10/2020 11:14:56
1268 forum posts
146 photos

If you really want the machine, and are able and willing to contemplate the repairs, then I think I'd be directly in contact with the insurers, but in writing/e-mail, not just verbally.

It may be that you can repair it yourself and charge for your time, but I'm guessing that any commercial repairs on an older machine like that would probably right it off commercially. Broken handles etc can be sorted easily, less so broken castings, unless they are non critical to machining accuracy.

That might be a good starting point for you to buy it for scrap value and repair it yourself. If it's the one off ebay, there's a few extras with it, which are probably worth a reasonable amount on their own if you have need for them; or they could be cleaned up and sold on to help fund repairs.

Also, If you do have it delivered, be ready with a camera, and take detailed photos of the machine from all angles whilst it is still on the delivery wagon.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 12/10/2020 11:15:42

SillyOldDuffer12/10/2020 11:21:06
6473 forum posts
1424 photos

What a tragedy!

It's one of the risks of buying second-hand; the item has to be moved and not everyone is familiar with the hazards. Even people who know lathes and milling machines are top-heavy get it wrong. Poor balance is more problematic than the weight.

Deciding whether to have it delivered or not depends on the Insurance (which allows both options in this case) and - more important - what Me's facilities and capabilities are.

Having the machine delivered is tempting because the damage may not be serious. But this is offset by how much time and trouble will be caused by having a badly broken machine delivered. Having convenient storage and the wherewithal to fix it is completely different from having to heave it across a boggy back garden and up a flight of stairs into a tight fitting shed and a few hand-tools.

What happens next is always a good question. If the machine is beyond repair, then Me has to get rid of it - more trouble, and it might cost money. Is Me keen to use the machine, or happy to spend time fixing it? Mending is interesting hobby in itself, but a disaster if the machine is needed urgently for real projects. At some point, it's not worth the bother.

Dave

Dave Halford12/10/2020 17:44:15
1030 forum posts
9 photos

I bet that made the earth move for someone , it's a huge thing.

I must confess I had no idea that old machines were more prone to falling over. Thought it was just people that suffered from that.

David George 112/10/2020 22:44:00
1390 forum posts
448 photos

I was involved in moving a spark erosion machine, probably 2 tonne weight, which we had sold and a machine mover was to deliver to second party. I moved the machine to the loading bay where it was picked up by a huge forklift supplied by the machine mover. When moving it to their lorry they turned the machine too sharply and it slide on the steel fork and dropped about 2 feet on one side and ended on its side with broken castings and sideways, scrap. The machine movers paid for the machine cost to us and paid the buyers costs till they could replace the machine as well I believe about 4 months work sub contract costs all paid for by the movers insurance.

David

Edited By David George 1 on 12/10/2020 22:46:06

Me.13/10/2020 11:40:42
45 forum posts
7 photos

UPDATE - They are still shipping it to me then I will have to decide wether it is repairable or scrap - either way they will pay all costs up to the value of the machine (or what I paid for it) unfortunately for me I paid under market price as I got a bargain and knocked the seller down a considerable amount.

I still have a sum to play with but if scrap not enough to go and buy another machine. They have also refunded all shipping costs already - they have said that as they were at fault and it was in their depot i will receive the shipping refund immediately rather than having to wait for the Mill to be delivered and then claim all costs on the insurance.

I will post pictures of the damage as soon as it arrives - I will need honest opinions as to wether or not it is worth the cost of any repairs or cut my losses and weigh it in for scrap - which will be a shame.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest