By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

'Bad Referrer' message when trying to view the Archive.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
steve phillips 117/10/2020 00:41:49
8 forum posts

Thanks everyone for the help, it is very much appreciated. Maybe sometime I can return the favor. Steve

Neil Wyatt17/10/2020 10:03:43
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

It seems each browser will have its own cure.

If anyone finds the settings in other browsers please post them here.

Neil

Tricky18/10/2020 16:27:15
62 forum posts
8 photos

Neil,

It is not up to the user to change browser settings to allow this to work but the website designer should have been aware of the change to limiting referrers and made the necessary changes to allow the magazines to be viewed. I suggest your web designers read this and this and then make the necessary changes.

One reason for confusion over whether Microsoft Edge works is that the original version of Edge has recently been changed to a version based on Chromium which means it is almost identical to Google Chrome.

Richard

Neil Wyatt26/10/2020 15:46:21
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles
Posted by Tricky on 18/10/2020 16:27:15:

Neil,

It is not up to the user to change browser settings to allow this to work but the website designer should have been aware of the change to limiting referrers and made the necessary changes to allow the magazines to be viewed. I suggest your web designers read this and this and then make the necessary changes.

One reason for confusion over whether Microsoft Edge works is that the original version of Edge has recently been changed to a version based on Chromium which means it is almost identical to Google Chrome.

Richard

Hi Richard,

The situation is that the website has been working for around a decade and the browser designers have made changes without regard for the impact they have on existing websites.

Unfortunately Our website designers were not ably to see that far into the future...

Neil

Neil Wyatt26/10/2020 15:51:13
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Microsoft are aware of this (although at least one reader has been told it's an error in our website). You can change the behaviour of Edge by changing registry values but in the future this will not work:

**LINK**

I don't recommend changing registry values unless you know what you are doing.

That said, we are looking to see if there are ways around the problem, but it is likely to involve a re-design of how the system works.

Neil

Neil Wyatt28/10/2020 15:25:30
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Good news!

We think this problem may now have been solved.

Please could users of different browsers try to view the archive and report back?

Many thanks,

Neil

Tricky28/10/2020 15:31:08
62 forum posts
8 photos

It works on the latest version of Microsoft Edge!

Thanks for solving the problem.

Richard

John Abson02/12/2021 10:32:07
13 forum posts

I know this is over a year down the line - during which IT security measures have continuously improved and strengthened - but I have struggled unsuccessfully to access the ME back numbers with exactly the same symptoms described above, and trying the fixes mentioned to no avail. I'm using W10 and have tried Firefox, Edge, Chrome and IE. The closest I get to success is a greyed-out screen asking me to download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, which in 2021 is an unworkable proposition. And no, I don't expect to have to buy an Android phone to view them, either.

A few observations:

- I feel short-changed by this, because one of my main specific reasons for taking out the digital (as well as paper) subscription was the ability to scan early back numbers. So, the service I am paying for is unavailable.

- Adobe Flash Player is from end 2020 no longer supported and recommended to be uninstalled from machines for security reasons. It's no longer a reasonable expectation.

- Most of the fixes - whether they work or not - rely on disabling security features. Not a good idea in my book.

- If the website hosting the back numbers is so behind the times in terms of IT security, am I opening up my PC to potential IT security threats by downloading files from there?

- It's a fact of IT life that IT solutions - browsers, operating systems, applications, networks etc. - have to be continuously updated to counter IT security threats; updates that inevitably impact the working of websites. It might seem unfair (like life in general), but because a website operated satisfactorily last month doesn't mean it will work this month. Significant changes are usually flagged up well in advance to give developers time to update their website workings.

Meanwhile - because I realise this isn't really anyone's responsibility in this forum (I'm just having a vent, basically smiley) - if anyone running W10 has found a successful and secure fix in 2021, I would love to hear it.

I will however think about writing to Martin Evans II - he does listen and reply - and relay my thoughts to him.

/J

Redpiperbob18/01/2022 09:05:29
92 forum posts
41 photos

Hi there has anyone got an answer to the flash error yet as I cannot read the older versions of the Model Engineers Workshop. I have tryied Firefox,Chrome,Edge

All I get is

you need to upgrade your Flash Player

veiwing this ebook requires Adobe Flash Player

Thanks

Bob

Edited By Redpiperbob on 18/01/2022 09:09:40

John Abson18/01/2022 12:58:46
13 forum posts

I have written today to Martin Evans requesting he takes it up with people responsible for digital content.

I'll keep this list posted on any replies.

Best wishes

JasonB18/01/2022 13:05:30
22749 forum posts
2653 photos
1 articles

I did ask the question again last week of neil and another MTM Staff member but they did not respond to that part of my e-mails.frown

Some ipad users have reported they can still view the old stuff using Chrome.

John Dilsaver03/02/2022 15:00:32
1 forum posts

I'm having the same problem. I'd like to make progress on being able to view the back issues.

John Dilsaver

Sparta, MO

Neil Wyatt04/02/2022 10:40:14
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

Sorry folks,

I am equally frustrated that progress on this is proving very slow.

It seems that sorting out older issues may be on hold for a bit as they may all be moved to a new platform. I am waiting for news on the timetable.

Thanks for your patience, it does seem Chrome a can read them with a suitable extension.

Neil

John Abson04/02/2022 11:14:23
13 forum posts

I did get a reply from Martin Evans on 20th January who promised to forward my email to the Distribution Manager who apparently "will know the right people to 'encourage' to get this situation resolved". I shall wait but not hold my breath.

Neil, are you referring to the Chrome Adobe Flash Player Emulator 2022 by any chance?

/J

Tricky04/02/2022 12:55:10
62 forum posts
8 photos

I have just installed an extension on Microsoft Edge called Flash Player and this does work on the archive and I can read the magazines. It is based on something called the Ruffle Engine and I think there are several extensions which use it be be beware of what the extension can access on the browser, one called Flash 2022 is horrendous!

On to install Edge you go to the Extensions tab in the ... menu and then select Open Microsoft Edge Add-ons and search for Flash Player and it will give you a list. I selected Flash Player written by flash player and it seems OK.

Richard

SillyOldDuffer04/02/2022 15:10:29
8691 forum posts
1967 photos
Posted by Tricky on 04/02/2022 12:55:10:

I have just installed an extension on Microsoft Edge called Flash Player and this does work on the archive and I can read the magazines. It is based on something called the Ruffle Engine ...

Richard

Does it work with the early Model Engineer's magazines Richard? Issue 4153 (subscription needed) is the oldest ME available and Ruffle on Firefox can't read it today, sob.

A possible confusion is that Edge and other up-to-date Browsers can all read the latest magazines because these have been converted to HTML5. MyTimeMedia are slowly working backwards through the archive but progress is painfully slow, reason unstated. My guess is there isn't an easy way of converting Flash into HTML5 and someone is slowly creating HTML5 magazines page by page from the masters.

Unfortunately, Ruffle's developers seem to be working on Flash Videos and Games rather than magazine reading, It's probably because reading magazines is a minority interest compared with the millions who watch videos and play games.

Doubly unfortunately demand for a Flash replacement has generated a bunch of fakes, up to no good if you install them. Take care when experimenting with Flash alternatives: I steered clear of Flash 2020 thanks to Richard's advice.

Dave

Tricky04/02/2022 16:17:09
62 forum posts
8 photos

Sorry Dave it looks as if I made a mistake but I thought I clicked on the last page of the magazine index to try it but I must have mistyped.

Richard

Jeremy Haywood23/05/2022 10:48:41
3 forum posts

Has anyone had an update to this issue, I can not read the older archive issues due to the flash problem?

Peter Cook 623/05/2022 19:19:13
277 forum posts
79 photos
Posted by Jeremy Haywood on 23/05/2022 10:48:41:

Has anyone had an update to this issue, I can not read the older archive issues due to the flash problem?

See last post in this thread

Adobe FlashPlayer End Of Life | Model Engineer (model-engineer.co.uk)

Neil Wyatt24/05/2022 11:25:14
19033 forum posts
734 photos
80 articles

The Archive will hopefully be sorted when it is transferred to Mortons' system, but I am not sure exactly howand when this will take place.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest