BOMBSHELL!! ...at last!

Your new mini-lathe...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JasonB30/09/2020 19:03:53
18901 forum posts
2082 photos
1 articles

A big bore does not have to mean you need to take big cuts but it can be handy to simply face or work on the end of a larger dia piece of stock then whip it out and saw off before finishing the back without the waste of needing a lump to hold in the chuck so keeps the number of bar ends to a minimum. Or simply mean less stick out when working on longer parts.

I hope you are all ready for the flood of posts from people having problems parting off these larger bars in their lighweight machinesdevil

Mike Poole30/09/2020 19:13:12
2746 forum posts
64 photos

The job is sure to come along along that is too big for whatever bore you have, a fixed steady can be very useful and for those of us with a small bore Myford it is near essential. It’s worth getting familiar with using a steady before the job comes along that needs it.

Mike

not done it yet30/09/2020 21:53:19
5024 forum posts
20 photos

I’m with Mike on this one. My spindle will just pass 26mm and so a one inch bar will just go through - if straight. It’s only working on the end that is a problem - usually got over with centre support and a small area turned (depending on the bar) and then resort to the fixed steady. Shifting the steady is likely as good as a 3 jaw (for concentricity) or setting up with a 4 jaw?

ega01/10/2020 17:14:19
1812 forum posts
153 photos

To be useful a 38mm bore would require something like a (heavy) 8" 3J chuck.

Michael Gilligan01/10/2020 21:05:02
16389 forum posts
715 photos
Posted by ega on 01/10/2020 17:14:19:

To be useful a 38mm bore would require something like a (heavy) 8" 3J chuck.

Not for my purposes [see previous page]
... and if you did use such a thing, it would probably end-up destroying the head casting.

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest