By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Lathe light

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
capnahab19/09/2020 22:30:36
182 forum posts
64 photos

I am restoring a DSG lathe. I thought the light had long since been disconnected. After blowing very fuse in the machine ( pump wiring contacting chip tray .. 415v) I had to replace them all and found that the light had 36 volts so I have painted it.

I now need a 36 volt bayonet ( Standard B22 I think) bulb, preferably bright and led. Failing that converting to led within the shade. I want o keep the original light as I am hoping to keep the lathe as original as poss. Any recommendations where I can get a bulb?


Edited By capnahab on 19/09/2020 22:31:35

Michael Gilligan19/09/2020 22:56:36
16389 forum posts
715 photos

There is presumably an ‘acceptable’ UK supplier of these, Nick ... ‘though I have yet to find them


From the spec, they look ideal.


noel shelley19/09/2020 23:36:28
116 forum posts

Do you have 3ph and neutral ? if so rewire to use 1ph and neutral and then use an ordinary 240v led unit. plan B use a control circuit transformer - 415 to what ever you want 12v, 24v , 240v Etc Depending on your bulb being ac or dc in the latter case a small rectifier and smoothing condenser.

Best wishes Noel

David George 120/09/2020 07:26:35
1341 forum posts
448 photos

Hi Capnahab in my service job (now retired) I kept a stock of machine lamp bulbs which were 25 volt and 50 volt. They were available from a local electrical suplier and I think I would just fit a 50 volt bulb as you should not fit a 240 volt lamp to a lathe with metal and fluids flying about. You could change the bulb type and the supply with a new transformer to LED but make sure it is low volt 50 volt or less. Have a look at the supply transformer that us fitted now as some have a multiple tapped transformer which you can change the voltage output.


capnahab20/09/2020 08:05:30
182 forum posts
64 photos

Good tips thanks. Points taken about 240 volt conversion and safety issues. The bulb fitting is bayonet (which I could easily change) so I have with this , looks like it will be a while coming from the east.

not done it yet20/09/2020 08:41:36
5024 forum posts
20 photos

If the present system is delivering 36V AC single phase to that lamp, that would provide 50V DC, if rectified? But you don’t indicate whether your present supply is single or three phase...

Michael Gilligan20/09/2020 09:25:08
16389 forum posts
715 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 20/09/2020 08:41:36:

If the present system is delivering 36V AC single phase to that lamp […]


idea That’s why I wrote : “From the spec, they look ideal.”


clogs20/09/2020 10:33:11
578 forum posts
12 photos

Mr A.Hab....

if you care to look at the aftermarket truck/lorry (an old word now) they have LED bulbs at 24v -36v plus which will suit you....just need a bulb holder but the are very cheap.....

prob a headlamp bulb will suit the job.....

Bazyle20/09/2020 11:56:38
5479 forum posts
206 photos

Not heard of a machine lamp of 36v before. Is it possible that under load the volts drop to 24?

It might prove cheaper in the long run to ditch the transformer and start over with a 12v LED arrangement after all they only used 24v to get the wattage with lighter wiring than if they used 12v and to avoid using car bulbs that would have been nicked for operator's cars.

Sandgrounder20/09/2020 12:13:07
200 forum posts
6 photos

When fitting LEDs to my machine lights I've used 12V DC ones to remove any strobe effects that the AC ones have.


Frances IoM20/09/2020 12:27:42
832 forum posts
26 photos
I'd guess that the 24V lorry bulbs are small bayonet fitting - tho I could buy a 240V 2 pin contact small bayonet fitting at my local electrician's supply shop I couldn't find any single contact holders (centre pin + body contact) as it appears the car market has moved to LED fittings
Phil Whitley20/09/2020 16:44:02
1257 forum posts
147 photos

If you check in the transformer box for the light , you may find there are different voltage tappings on the transformer, so you may be able to change the voltage to one which you can get an LED bulb for. , search for xx volt BC led lamp. This came up before on one of the forums I frequent, and I found some LED BC lamps which were for canal boats, so they can be bought! You could make one out of an old BC bulb cap with an led lamp soldered into it, or also you can get adapters for BC-SBC and BC to ES or SES


Edited By Phil Whitley on 20/09/2020 16:46:44

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest