Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

How to Delete your account and Delete Profile

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Deleted Account18/09/2020 21:26:05
45 forum posts
1 photos

I had asked a similar question a couple of days ago whereby I was insulted and ridiculed. Some of the responses were just plain nasty with no good reason to a simple question. Then before I could reply the moderator locked the post.

Any decent forum such a stackexchange has the following procedure:

If you want to delete your account on a single site, the Help Center explains how.

1. On your user page (on the main, not child meta, site), click "Edit Profile & Settings".
  2. Go to "Delete Profile" link

Its as simple as that. All posts remain so there is no disruption to the site and the user name is scambled and all contact details deleted.

This option should exist here.

(I wonder what nastiness this suggestion will generate even though this part of the forum asks for suggestions!)

Edited By Pence on 18/09/2020 21:36:40

Michael Gilligan18/09/2020 22:16:50
18704 forum posts
915 photos

Sorry, Pence ... I wish I could help

I did try to get a sensible discussion started, but you know the result.

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer18/09/2020 22:32:28
7473 forum posts
1648 photos

Hi Pence,

Jason answered your question about closing accounts In the original thread.

You can anonymise your account by altering your nickname and profile from Settings (top left green toolbar).

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 18/09/2020 22:33:18

Paul Kemp19/09/2020 00:48:22
683 forum posts
18 photos

Pence,

I too found the responses to your previous question / post very disappointing! There has been similar on other threads recently, one excuse I have seen is its "covid fever" (people being cooped up and getting short tempered and frustrated I understand) personally I don't think that's an excuse! It would be better if people considered things a little more before posting and if they have nothing constructive or positive to say on the subject then say nothing at all.

There have been a few people stating they are leaving the forum recently and from the varied responses I can see why.

Paul.

JasonB19/09/2020 07:19:55
21300 forum posts
2419 photos
1 articles

Pence. as SOD says I answered your question in the previous thread.

"You can't do it yourself, at the most all you could do is delete your album, PM history and turn notifications off. and then just stop posting.

It is possible for a moderator to delete a user but as has been mentioned by others it can muck up the flow of old threads and make them hard to follow much like a lot of old threads that are useless now that images hosted by Photobucket have been blocked. Even if we do delete the account places like webarchive.org will have stored pages over time that can still be called up."

Neil then gave further advice on how to get rid of e-mail address and you can also remove any address(not that you have entered one)

Most regular users will agree that the forum software is a bit antiquated and has its quirks so that is the best we can do.

Edited By JasonB on 19/09/2020 07:37:22

Daniel19/09/2020 08:11:05
338 forum posts
48 photos

Hi Pence,

Having read your two threads on the subject, i would like to offer the following kindly advice;

Just Stop Posting

While you continue to create new threads, and participate in them, you are keeping yourself

at the forefront of visibility to Bots and Algorithms, who will do their jobs and maintain your

visible presence on the web. They will continue to announce your presence and, in their desire

to be a seen as a diligent Bot/Algorithm, will continue to return to you with relevant search

results and your personalised advertising.

Any notion we may harbour, as to our personal invisibilty or anonymity these days, is long

gone, I'm afraid.

As an example, I have a good friend who is "conducting" an ongoing experiment with just this.

He has no internet, no mobile phone, etc and very little contact with the outside world. He has nothing

to hide (AFAIK), but only wishes to be left alone, so to speak.

While writing this post, I thought I would have a quick look, by typing his Christian name and

the name of his Parish into Google. Found him immediately, with photos !!

The best advice, which has already been given, is to just move on.

That way, you will just melt away out of sight more quickly.

ATVB,

Daniel

Michael Gilligan19/09/2020 10:13:34
18704 forum posts
915 photos
Posted by Daniel on 19/09/2020 08:11:05:

[…]

As an example, I have a good friend who is "conducting" an ongoing experiment with just this.

He has no internet, no mobile phone, etc and very little contact with the outside world. He has nothing

While writing this post, I thought I would have a quick look, by typing his Christian name and

[…]

That’s interesting .....

It would suggest that although he wishes to remain unknown, his ‘friends’ must be talking about him

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt19/09/2020 10:29:44
18727 forum posts
729 photos
80 articles

Hello Pence,

I think both Jason and I made this clear in our previous posts.

We don't have an automated way to do this in the forum software, but you just do it manually by editing your profile.

It should take no longer than writing the post you made above.

Alternatively PM me and I will blank your profile and suspend your account.

Neil

Daniel19/09/2020 15:40:31
338 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 19/09/2020 10:13:34:

[…]

[…]

That’s interesting .....

It would suggest that although he wishes to remain unknown, his ‘friends’ must be talking about him

MichaelG.

Yes Michael,

I think you're absolutely right.

To try and attain internet invisibility would also require no-one mentioning your name, anywhere.

In my friend's case, no newspaper articles about training goats and no itinerant yourt camps laugh.

The simple reality is, these days, it would be extremely difficult to not be picked up by one or other

radar.

Perhaps one would have to behave like the man who makes no mistakes ?

It's a development of live, for better or for worse, that we probably have to adapt to, methinks.

ATB,

Daniel

Enough!19/09/2020 17:28:23
1719 forum posts
1 photos

While you continue to create new threads, and participate in them, you are keeping yourself
at the forefront of visibility to Bots and Algorithms, who will do their jobs and maintain your visible presence on the web.

Even "Pence" .... fairly obviously a disposable name?

Peter G. Shaw19/09/2020 21:49:20
1308 forum posts
44 photos

Readers may be interested in what I have done.

Some years ago, when it became possible to opt out of the Electoral Roll, the saleable one that is, I did just that and since then, my wife and I have slowly become less and less obvious on, eg 192.com. W are still there, but the last reference they have is dated 2002.

Also about 7 or so years ago, there was an almighty cock-up with BT which resulted in a letter of complaint to the Chief Exec or whoever. It took 8 months to fully restore everything, but from that date I went ex-directory. I have also applied to the various government depts to have my number kept quiet or whatever they call it - TPS?. The end result is that I/we cannot be found via any normal telephone directory.

I have also stopped giving out my mobile phone number, and yes, I do get pestered by the likes of the GP surgery, but the number stays private!

Another thing that I think has made a difference is that the vast majority of our savings are in investment trust ISA's which use nominee accounts. I'm not sure about this, but I believe that investing direct in a company means that your name and address becomes public knowledge, whereas via a nominee account it doesn't.

The end result is that we get very few scam calls, and next to none "funny" emails. Now ok, it's taken a few years to get to that state, but there it is, a reasonable amount of privacy.

In respect of forums, I am a member, if I still am that is, of quite number, and this forum is the only one where I use my full name. I did initially start off with a pseudonym, but quickly gave up. All the other forums, that's if I'm still registered, use pseudonyms of some sort or other. I should point out that one other forum used to occasionally have a session of clearing out so-called "stale" accounts.

Peter G. Shaw

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest