Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Changes to Fusion 360 Terms

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Brian H19/09/2020 10:42:53
1784 forum posts
108 photos

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the changes will affect me. I've only just about grasped the basics thanks to Lars Christiansen and I'm toying with the idea of learning the CAM side of things but am now unsure as to which system to go for as there is no guarantee that there will be no further changes in the future.

Personally I would find £22 a month unaffordable given the amount of time the program would be in use.

Brian

blowlamp19/09/2020 11:41:31
1410 forum posts
86 photos
Posted by JasonB on 19/09/2020 07:14:37:

I could live without the rapids as I don't have the max on the KX-3 set that high and if using "both ways" cutting when roughing out at least you are removing metal on he return cut. The multi axis "steep and shallow" would be missed as I do a fair bit of work that has compound curves and it's the ideal finishing tool.

Not having a quick change tool holding system I already break the program down into what each tool can do and set the next tool height before running the next lot of code. This is fine for the one off things that I do for my models and as I usually only do a few hours a month on it not much of a problem as it would be when doing batches.

I'll wait to see how limiting I find the changes and then decide if I want to pay for what is really only the CAM side for me as I still design in Alibre and their CAM is expensive.

Occasionally, I have wrongly set something in CAM and produced gcode with long lead-ins or lead-outs... ...just that is painful to see in action, so don't underestimate how you might feel when one of your jobs has the tool jumping all over the place.

The other bad news is that the Steep & Shallow milling strategy appear to be for the chop in the free version come October.

Martin.

blowlamp19/09/2020 11:56:09
1410 forum posts
86 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/09/2020 10:40:23:

I have been told some very interesting news for anyone who wants an integrated 3D CAD/CAM solution but I can't say more... yet!

Neil

Unless it's very exceptional integrated (expensive) software then I tend to find one side is better than the other.

Because of that, I have gone down the route of finding a CAD system I can get along with, and secondly having a selection of CAM systems that have strengths in various areas, because I haven't found one that does, or is strong, in everything.

However, I'm certainly interested in what you have to show us.

Martin.

Brian H19/09/2020 12:27:27
1784 forum posts
108 photos

I think you have some of us salivating Neil, when can you tell us?

Brian

JasonB19/09/2020 13:14:42
18819 forum posts
2065 photos
1 articles
Posted by blowlamp on 19/09/2020 11:41:31:

The other bad news is that the Steep & Shallow milling strategy appear to be for the chop in the free version come October.

It is already now classed as an "extension" and has been for a few months which means you have to pay to play, you can buy 1 day use or one month as needed. You can't even go back to edit something that used it in the past with out using up credits.

By playing with the stay down percentage and distances you can save a bit of time and as I said my rapids are set quite low and I often cut at 80% of those so not too much difference, that bit of pattern making I did recently was feeding at the same rate as my rapids as the wood cuts easily..

duncan webster19/09/2020 14:47:20
2787 forum posts
41 photos
Posted by Brian H on 19/09/2020 12:27:27:

Brian

I was saving up to buy Alibre, don't trust cloud only, especially after DrafSight pulled the plug. I'll never go for CNC, so should I just keep my powder dry?

IanT19/09/2020 20:26:22
1600 forum posts
150 photos

Duncan,

If you had invested a great deal of time learning Fusion 360 or had already purchased an Alibre license, then I could understand someone staying with that investment in time (and perhaps money).

For some years, there was an ongoing debate here about which 2D CAD package was the best. As a long time user of TurboCAD, I always suggested that people tried it out, although many thought it wasn't for them and suggested other products. However, I'd spent some time getting to know TC and it has served me very well for over 20 years. So clearly, people will support the product that they have some some sort of investment in - be that time, money or just pure emotion.

In your case, it seems that you have no pre-existing investment in any 3D CAD system at this time (and no need for CAM if you are not planning to use CNC). I was in a very similar situation last year and found that I could download the Community Edition of Solid Edge 2020 for free. This is a very powerful CAD system that like both Fusion & Alibre will need an investment in time to learn to use it well.

Since starting to use it I have found out a little more about it's technical background and there are many professional CAD users who believe that Solid Edge is the best 'mid-range' professional CAD system available. I was also surprised to find that Solid Works (another very popular high end CAD system) uses the same underlying CAD 'engine' as Solid Edge which they licensed from Siemens (who own SE).

So I would very strongly recommend that you download SE 2020 Community Edition and work through the online tutorials before parting with any money for another 3D CAD product. I don't think you will be disappointed and if you really don't like SE - you can always purchase an Alibra license later.

Just a thought.

Regards,

IanT

duncan webster21/09/2020 00:01:10
2787 forum posts
41 photos

Thanks Ian, I've been using SE 2-D for a while and am beginning to get used to its oddities, I'll bear the 3-D version in mind. When the Alibre offer via MEW was on I gave it a go and was surprised how well I got on with it. I managed to model a tapered fluted con rod and work out its mass and CG, so impressed myself at least. That was a while ago, so I'll be at the bottom of the learning curve again

Edited By duncan webster on 21/09/2020 00:01:35

IanT21/09/2020 10:18:09
1600 forum posts
150 photos

I was thinking about my first version of TurboCAD yesterday Duncan.

It was version 4 and came for free on the cover of one of the popular computer mags of the day (sometime in the 90's). Most of the software provided was either pretty useless or time limited. I think TurboCAD was the only 'serious' bit of software I ever installed and actually continued to use. I can't remember exactly but I probably had a '286' PC running Windows 3.1 at that time - it all seemed pretty state of the art back then.

So did WordPerfect, '2020' spreadsheets and Paradox databases.... It doesn't seem that long ago but then again neither do "mobile" phones the size of shoe boxes either.

I really am getting old!

Regards,

IanT

Neil Wyatt21/09/2020 22:58:04
18221 forum posts
714 photos
77 articles
Posted by Brian H on 19/09/2020 12:27:27:

Brian

'In due course'

Emgee25/09/2020 23:39:17
1695 forum posts
225 photos

Some good news from Lars and the chief at Fusion 360 in a short video, now agreed step files can still be exported as are some other types.

Video here: **LINK**

Emgee

Old School26/09/2020 07:52:01
352 forum posts
30 photos

Having just watched the video posted by Emgee I am going to stick with 360. I have found it hard work to get to the level I am at, I have no intention of starting again with another package.

if my little cnc mill runs a little slower I can spare the time it can also do things that I cannot do on a manual mill. I was considering giving the machine to my son but he’s now going to have to wait a little longer.

Edited By Old School on 26/09/2020 07:53:29

Andrew Binning08/10/2020 20:24:57
29 forum posts
9 photos

I have been using Fusion 360 for some time now and am now branching into the CAM or Manufacturing function. My CNC machine is a Sieg X3 upgraded with a 400Hz , 24,000RPM Inverter drive ( from CNC4you.co.uk) running under Mach 3. The basic Fusion 36 does not list a Post processor for Artsoft - Mach 3 but there is one on an AutoDesk website :- https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts I hope this is of use to anyone using Fusion 360.

JasonB08/10/2020 20:44:07
18819 forum posts
2065 photos
1 articles

Should do, I had no problem finding it the first time I wanted it and it comes up as that each time now

m3 mill.jpg

Emgee08/10/2020 22:27:38
1695 forum posts
225 photos

Mach 3 mill was in the pp list but not Mach 3 Turn. I had to import the Mach 3 Turn post processor from the Mach 3 forum into the Fusion list, as Jason says once you've used the pp it remembers for the next time of use.

Emgee

Nick Hughes17/10/2020 09:58:10
233 forum posts
133 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 19/09/2020 10:40:23:

I have been told some very interesting news for anyone who wants an integrated 3D CAD/CAM solution but I can't say more... yet!

Neil

If you know where to look, the cat's out of the bag (I'll let Neil provide more information when he's ready).

Edited By Nick Hughes on 17/10/2020 10:16:41

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest