Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

close account

how to close account

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Deleted Account17/09/2020 08:12:20
45 forum posts
1 photos

could not see a link to close and remove my Pence forum account or a faq explaining this.

pointer in that direction would be appreciated.

Chris Evans 617/09/2020 08:21:13
1950 forum posts

Not sure why the question is being asked. If you want to leave the forum just stop posting and fade away.

Nicholas Farr17/09/2020 08:53:26
2955 forum posts
1335 photos

Hi Pence, seeing how you don't have to pay to use this forum, you don't really have an "account" it is termed as a membership and as Chris Evans has said, just stop using it if you wish to leave. you can always use the contact link and get in touch with Neil Wyatt, just scroll down to the "Get in touch" below the adds on the right hand side of this page.

Regards Nick.

Mike Poole17/09/2020 09:04:20
3055 forum posts
72 photos

If you want to be completely erased then consider the effect it has on the threads you have contributed to, it can make it difficult for anyone interested in the thread at a later date to follow what has been said.

Mike

Deleted Account17/09/2020 09:40:11
45 forum posts
1 photos

Thank you for your replies in answer to the points raised:

1) I think that most forums allow one to close your account.

2) I don't think it will effect my threads as they will remain just in the same way that banned members threads remain but their accounts are closed.

3)The corporate googles of this world also have in the past taken the view that you can just stop using your account as it is free anyway.

I would imagine this forum was created before lawmakers gave one the right 'to be forgotten'.

4) I at first did consider contacting Neil but I thought there might be a way to do this without contacting another member to manually do so.

5) Can't imagine eventually having ghost accounts of dead people could be a good thing.

Edited By Pence on 17/09/2020 09:41:09

pgk pgk17/09/2020 09:41:43
2293 forum posts
293 photos

Whilst I'm happy here I do believe that all forums/fora should have a function whereby any member/account (or whatever you care to call it) can delete his 'existence' because even anonymous accounts can usually be traced with enough effort. We are all being tracked far too much by internet companies (not just forums) and I feel there should be functions to allow us to delete ourselves from all sites.
Just deletng tracking cookies after every web session isn't enough.

pgk

Deleted Account17/09/2020 09:43:54
45 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 17/09/2020 09:41:43:

Whilst I'm happy here I do believe that all forums/fora should have a function whereby any member/account (or whatever you care to call it) can delete his 'existence' because even anonymous accounts can usually be traced with enough effort. We are all being tracked far too much by internet companies (not just forums) and I feel there should be functions to allow us to delete ourselves from all sites.
Just deletng tracking cookies after every web session isn't enough.

pgk

I could not agree more. For whatever reason somebody want to leave one should be able to do so.

Edited By Pence on 17/09/2020 09:44:57

Vic17/09/2020 10:39:55
2894 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Pence on 17/09/2020 09:43:54:
For whatever reason somebody want to leave one should be able to do so.

Yes agreed, I don’t see the problem. I’ve asked to be removed from a forum before and not had any difficulty.

Frances IoM17/09/2020 11:18:39
1151 forum posts
28 photos
As others have pointed out you are not a member of anything - merely you have been permitted to post on a public facing privately owned + moderated message board. Any damage to your privacy has already been done - now deleting any messages and especially images can often destroy any value in a thread to future readers - witness the loss caused when one recently welcomed returning member who previously had removed all comments + photos in several threads almost totally destroying their worth. ETA - in some respects asking to delete all postings is akin to requesting that your name be removed from all previously published telephone directories, school lists etc - total removal is impossible.

Edited By Frances IoM on 17/09/2020 11:30:36

Bazyle17/09/2020 11:50:39
5998 forum posts
220 photos

If you move house do you insist the building be demolished after you leave?
I think this is just tosh but perhaps the moderators could change the poster's password so they can't log in and that would effectively make them no longer a member. I assume some similar power is available to block spammers so there is a process.

Vic17/09/2020 12:12:04
2894 forum posts
8 photos

I don’t understand why some of you are being so belligerent. The OP has just asked if there is a mechanism to remove him from the forum. If there is then having asked surely he’s entitled to be removed? If not then a brief explanation from a moderator will surely suffice.

JasonB17/09/2020 13:26:19
21300 forum posts
2419 photos
1 articles

You can't do it yourself, at the most all you could do is delete your album, PM history and turn notifications off. and then just stop posting.

It is possible for a moderator to delete a user but as has been mentioned by others it can muck up the flow of old threads and make them hard to follow much like a lot of old threads that are useless now that images hosted by Photobucket have been blocked. Even if we do delete the account places like webarchive.org will have stored pages over time that can still be called up.

Stuart Smith 517/09/2020 19:52:07
229 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by Vic on 17/09/2020 12:12:04:

I don’t understand why some of you are being so belligerent. The OP has just asked if there is a mechanism to remove him from the forum. If there is then having asked surely he’s entitled to be removed? If not then a brief explanation from a moderator will surely suffice.

My feelings as well. If someone wants to be removed there must surely be a mechanism for this.

Stuart

Enough!17/09/2020 22:42:06
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Can't you just change your user name to something like "gone away" (which should keep threads intact)? Delete pics if you must (it would be nicer to leave them). Then delete your login credentials?

On the side-topic of posting "I'm leaving" messages rather than just dropping out of sight, I for one prefer the former .... at least for long-term users:

- Given the average age of the people here, there are other reasons for people suddenly stopping posting than "going off in a huff". Posting can give some reassurance on that score.

- In my experience, anyone who just disappears is usually accused, in absentia, of going off in a huff anyway.

Michael Gilligan18/09/2020 01:12:18
18704 forum posts
915 photos

I find the following words a little disturbing ... but I am quoting them [as devil’s advocate] directly from the Terms and Conditions :

[quote]

Any Content provided by you by, for example, posting messages to bulletin boards or chat forums, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this Website, although owned by you, is subject to a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, world-wide licence allowing MyTimeMedia to use, distribute, copy, sub-license, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content. You agree to irrevocably and unconditionally waive on your behalf in perpetuity in respect of such Content the benefit of any provision of law known as moral rights of authors or any similar law in any country.

[/quote]

Now ... for discussion : How can that agreement be consistent with a member who leaves the forum, taking his/her submitted Content away ?

MichaelG.

Ref. Clause 3 : https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/terms/

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 18/09/2020 01:14:44

John Olsen18/09/2020 06:02:30
1189 forum posts
92 photos
1 articles

So presumably if the same person had written a letter to the editor at some time in the past, they would expect Neil or Martin to visit everyone holding a copy of the magazine with a pair of scissors to snip the contribution out? I suppose it would be even worse for the editor of a daily newspaper, who might be expected to visit every fish and chip shop and every long drop toilet in order to censor the old newspapers there.

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

(Omar Khyyam)

Vic18/09/2020 07:41:29
2894 forum posts
8 photos

Photobucket seem to have done more to “alter” shall we say, forum posts when they changed their terms of service.

Having said that I have seen several disgruntled posters remove their content, and as frustrating as this is for others I don’t blame them in some instances.

Quite why anyone, including forum owners and moderators are anything other than civil to others members is beyond me.

John Hinkley18/09/2020 09:17:39
1170 forum posts
390 photos

Whoa! Isn't this getting a bit silly? The OP got the answer to his query in the first reply. A quick look at his postings show a few posted from October 2015 involving, mostly, queries about his Bantam lathe, then sporadic posts until December 2016. Then a gap of 2½ YEARS 'til the next in July last year. It's was14 months prior to this post that his last appeared. I don't recall anyone enquiring of his whereabouts in his long periods of absence. Click on his single photo and all I get is a blank page, so presumably it's been deleted already.

When I snuff it, I don't expect my executors to go through all my log-in details and let everyone know I've exchanged metal-pushing for daisy-pushing. I'll just quietly fade away and no one will miss me, either.

I'll probably get lambasted for this rant, but, hey, I've been casigated and criticised on here before and no doubt will again. Hurt pride may be the result, nothing more, and I've been given boll***ings by professionals.

John

David Standing 118/09/2020 09:22:49
1296 forum posts
50 photos
Posted by John Hinkley on 18/09/2020 09:17:39:

When I snuff it, I don't expect my executors to go through all my log-in details and let everyone know I've exchanged metal-pushing for daisy-pushing. I'll just quietly fade away and no one will miss me, either.

Amen to that! laugh

Michael Gilligan18/09/2020 09:28:13
18704 forum posts
915 photos

Posted by John Hinkley on 18/09/2020 09:17:39:

Whoa! Isn't this getting a bit silly? The OP got the answer to his query in the first reply.

With respect, John ... I don’t think that statement is true

The first reply does not answer the question posed

leave the forum’ is not equal to ‘close and remove

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest