Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

6" Stainless Steel Pipe

Slice WANTED

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mike Poole26/08/2020 09:48:38
2746 forum posts
64 photos

You mention that ring rolling has been tried and found to be unacceptable, it may be that advice on the problems you have encountered would help produce an acceptable result. The roundness of pipe is not usually to machining tolerances so a skim at least will be required. A local fabricator may be able to make acceptable rings that could be a bit of a challenge in the home shop.

Mike

Hopper26/08/2020 10:10:48
4804 forum posts
105 photos
Posted by Paul Lousick on 26/08/2020 08:28:14:

I am absolutely gob smacked as I had originaly thought about buying a ring rolling machine but did not ralise that they were CNC controlled and cost millions of dollars.

ring roller.jpg

As I cannot afford such an expensive machine, I will have to manually bend a piece of 15 x 5mm flat bar into a ring with a press or by banging it around a piece of old pipe with a hammer and weld it together.. Probably use 16 x 8mm flat to allow for a machining tolerance.

Can anyone advise me if this would work ?

Paul.

If at first, you don't succeed... use a bigger hammer.

Nicholas Farr26/08/2020 10:25:18
2442 forum posts
1193 photos
Posted by Paul Lousick on 26/08/2020 08:28:14:

I am absolutely gob smacked as I had originaly thought about buying a ring rolling machine but did not ralise that they were CNC controlled and cost millions of dollars.

ring roller.jpg

As I cannot afford such an expensive machine, I will have to manually bend a piece of 15 x 5mm flat bar into a ring with a press or by banging it around a piece of old pipe with a hammer and weld it together.. Probably use 16 x 8mm flat to allow for a machining tolerance.

Can anyone advise me if this would work ?

Paul.

Hi Paul, you probably could do it by progressive bending on a press, if you can control each press depth to be the same and unless you used a clevis type pressing tool, you'll have to do it in two halves. 8mm thick may be a bit too much to hammer round on a piece pipe to get a good shape unless you can heat it to red heat. Rolling is always the best way to do it, and once it's welded and the weld flushed down, it can be returned to the rollers and a little over bend pressure applied to get a good circular ring.

Regards Nick.

Paul Lousick26/08/2020 13:53:35
1542 forum posts
579 photos

Thanks Nick, But is was a tongue in cheek reply to the post made by Hopper on an earlier post. laugh

Paul.

Hopper26/08/2020 22:59:48
4804 forum posts
105 photos

If you used a shrinking hammer could you reduce 6"ID pipe down to 6" OD?

Paul Lousick26/08/2020 23:25:45
1542 forum posts
579 photos

You would need a BIG one Hopper. I have a panel beaters hammer but it is only suitable for thin metal and used while the metal is red hot. Much easier to cut and weld as already suggested.

The hydraulic hose makers use a press to squeeze a swage around the end of hose fittings to reduce its diameter but that is special purpose build machine, not suitable for this application.

Paul.

John Olsen27/08/2020 23:19:34
1089 forum posts
91 photos
1 articles

There is a length of stainless tube at Scrap Palace in Hamilton NZ, about six inches or so diameter, and maybe 3/16 or so wall thickness. They would happily sell you the whole length, maybe 3 or 4 metres but I don't think they have the means to cut it. I didn't have any measuring equipment with me but they could measure it.

John (in sunny Cambridge NZ)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest