Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

three cylinder aero engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gary07/08/2020 16:32:24
91 forum posts
24 photos

hi, has anyone built the three cylinder aero engine from the myers castings. gary

JasonB07/08/2020 16:40:11
18649 forum posts
2049 photos
1 articles

I've not seen a build thread of one even on the American forums which is where it's more likely to get a mention.

gary07/08/2020 17:36:00
91 forum posts
24 photos

thanks jason, that is unusual. i think it would look better with finned barrels wont know if its possible using the original castings untill i get them.

John Purdy07/08/2020 17:50:28
206 forum posts
72 photos

Gary

By coincidence I just ordered the castings last week, awaiting delivery. I'll let you know the dimensions of the barrels when I get them (so you can decide if there is enough meat on them to make fins), if you haven't already ordered the castings. Actually I think finning to provide cooling on a steam engine is the opposite of what would be wanted, more like insulating to keep hot.

John

gary07/08/2020 17:56:47
91 forum posts
24 photos

hi john, that would be handy, the fins are just an idea to make it look better to me not for any cooling effect but i see your point. gary

John Purdy19/08/2020 01:16:13
206 forum posts
72 photos

Gary

I just received the castings this morning and the OD of the cyl. barrel is 1.975+- and the plans call for the steel liner to be 1.690 OD so that would leave a wall thickness of about .140. The plans call for the liner to be a press fit and "Loctited" in so once the liner is installed the whole could be mounted on a mandrel and the lower fins cut. The only problem would be the flat at the top of the barrel for the valve cyl. mounting. Maybe the upper ones could be cut using a small dia. slitting saw with the assembly mounted vert. on a rotary table on the mill?

John

dscn3262.jpg

Edited By John Purdy on 19/08/2020 01:18:18

gary19/08/2020 04:54:40
91 forum posts
24 photos

thanks john, are you pleased with the quality of the castings ?

John Purdy19/08/2020 21:10:51
206 forum posts
72 photos

Gary

There has been no fettling done on the castings other than cutting off the feeders, as can been seen in the pictures below, so there quite a bit of moulding flash to remover before any machining can be done. Actually I prefer it that way, other than trying to correct for the over zealous use of a grinder at the foundry. There is a little porosity evident in a couple of them.. On the ones I've checked there is plenty of machining allowance. The only potential problem evident is the core in one of the pistons was displaced to one side but there is sufficient machining allowance on the outside to compensate. Overall the castings appear to be quite good.

John

dscn3264.jpgdscn3266.jpg

gary20/08/2020 05:25:55
91 forum posts
24 photos

thanks john and good luck with the build. gary

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest