Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Cleaning emergency !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
gerry madden02/08/2020 11:54:59
114 forum posts
49 photos

Hi fonts-of-all-knowledge, I have a bit of challenge. I placed some new tyres directly on the floor of my campervan a couple of weeks ago. When I removed them recently, to the other halves consternation they had left brown rings. I said "don't worry dear, they'll be a piece of cake to remove" …. and I genuinely believed myself.

I'm packing it today and was given strict orders to remove the rings first. To say its not going well would be an understatement. In fact they aren't going at all !!! I've tried acetone, white spirit, bleach, toilet cleaner, all with and without scotchbrite pads. There is no change.

The fact that mild abrasion wont shift them suggests the discolouration in the material (which must be a kind of vinyl) rather than on its surface.

From my school days I recall the chemistry teacher talking about oxidising agents as stain-killers. Is this the secret ?

Any thoughts chaps as to what I can try next ?

dscn7759.jpg

Michael Gilligan02/08/2020 12:34:22
15891 forum posts
693 photos

surprise

Option 1 ... renew the floor-covering

Option 2 ... treat it as ‘Art’ [unlikely to get away with that, methinks]

MichaelG.

JA02/08/2020 12:39:01
937 forum posts
51 photos

Meths, or paint thinners. After that try weak hydrogen peroxide as a last resort. Don’t mix these together.

Then a peace pipe and replace the floor surface later,

JA

Bill Phinn02/08/2020 13:04:44
335 forum posts
67 photos

Have you tried Jif/Cif cream on a damp rag and baby wipes/Wonder Wipes?

It'd be interesting to know what the stain actually is. Looking at it, you'd think rust off a wheel rim, but you said it was just tyres you put down.

I got some rust on a nice old Formica-topped table once after leaving a steel oven dish on it for a few weeks; nothing I tried could get rid of it.

David Colwill02/08/2020 13:11:47
640 forum posts
34 photos

I generally try different things on a small area until I see results. Among the go to things are in no particular order. WD 40, acetone, petrol, kerosene, washing up liquid, isopropyl alcohol. I'm sure there are others. You do have to be careful as some can cause damage to the thing you are trying to clean but I am often amazed how easy it is to remove various stains / residues when you have the correct solvent.

Regards.

David.

SillyOldDuffer02/08/2020 13:16:55
5942 forum posts
1282 photos

The rubber feet on a table-top power supply reacted here with a vinyl tablecloth in the same way. Not a surface mark, a stain deep into the material like a burn. So far nothing I've tried touches it, all the chemicals mentioned in the thread plus Sulphuric Acid. As the feet don't stain anything else, I think it's a chemical incompatibility.

New tablecloth needed.

Dave

J Hancock02/08/2020 13:20:37
420 forum posts

Always worth trying VANISH brand soap , hot water and gentle abrasive pad on the stained area.

pgk pgk02/08/2020 13:25:33
1851 forum posts
288 photos

If the stain has become part of the material then it may be possible to draw it out with a poultice with disclaimers that it damages the vinyl. Klingstrip is sold as a painstripper but I've used the stuff to renovate a filthy marble fire surround (sucked th dirt right out from deep in the marble and came up like new)and i use it to clean the kitchen grout. A small trial-size pack goes a long way if mean with it.. as in trowelling a thin layer along grout lines rather than the whole tile. Cover with clingfilm or old placky bags for12hrs+ (can be a day or two for stubborn stuff) and the wash off. I think it's a clay/alkali mix but it really does draw cr@p out

pgk

Richard Marks02/08/2020 13:56:01
195 forum posts
8 photos

Go to a Good tyre dealer and ask for their advice, ( not Kwik Fit )

Dave Halford02/08/2020 14:03:37
806 forum posts
8 photos

Searching Google for rubber stains on vinyl floors gives loads of results and tells me you are toast.

Martin Kyte02/08/2020 15:36:26
1903 forum posts
34 photos

Rubber does wierd things to some materials. Rubber grommets in clear plastic drawer units eat into the drawers. No idea of the chemistry involved but rubber and plastic polymers don't get on.

regards Martin

Essm02/08/2020 16:56:56
23 forum posts
8 photos

Gerry - this may help **LINK** but then again nothing is guaranteed

larry phelan 102/08/2020 17:31:26
770 forum posts
14 photos

Dark Glasses/Strong drink ?

With enough on board, everything looks GREAT !!!!!wink

george Aldous02/08/2020 18:22:05
15 forum posts

I know this going to sound mad but try brown paper and a hot iron. put paper on and iron over it, might suck it out.

Howard Lewis02/08/2020 20:17:20
3394 forum posts
2 photos

If brown paper does not do the trick, try ironing some kitchen roll over the marks. Don't have the iron so hot that it melts / damages the floor covering, or you will be in even deeper trouble!

IF this works on a small area, it will need to be repeated all round the ring until it has been removed.

The stain may be caused by sulphur in the rubber.

Howard.

Steve Pavey02/08/2020 20:51:59
284 forum posts
32 photos

Oxalic acid - obtainable as Y10 (a gel) from a marine chandlers, or as Bar Keepers Friend (a white powder, applied with a wet cloth) from a hardware store or ironmongers. It’s excelle all sorts of stains, nudging rust stains from Formica incidentally.

Bryan Cedar 102/08/2020 21:18:08
49 forum posts
1 photos

Nobody appears to suggest bleach. Try it in different strengths of dillution starting with the weakest.

Bryan Cedar 102/08/2020 21:19:24
49 forum posts
1 photos

Correction, I see OP did try bleach.

Joules02/08/2020 21:29:08
46 forum posts
1 photos

A good quality wood stain a shade darker than the rings, apply liberally to all carpet floor covering, a job well done.

Should you be unfortunate to walk the stain indoors, apply same technique.

Edited By Joules on 02/08/2020 21:40:22

Edited By Joules on 02/08/2020 21:43:12

Russell Eberhardt02/08/2020 21:42:34
2595 forum posts
85 photos

Try Googling "Plasticiser migration". I think you're stuffed.

When manufacturing electronic products we used to have to be carefull how they were packaged to prevent the plasticiser from the power cable ruining the plastic case of the unit.

Russell

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest