By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What lathe tool for deburring holes?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel McBurney 102/08/2020 09:56:19
727 forum posts
3 photos

I use a long half inch square toolbit mounted in a Dickson toolholder ,the tool protrudes out each end of the tool holder ,one end is ground with a 45 degree angle plus some top rake so that it will chamfer say the end of a bar from a tiny chamfer up to a large chamfer, the other end of the tool bit is ground with a 45 degree chamfer plus top rake and with lots of front clearance similar to a boring bar so that it will again produce a fine chamfer or a large one. the tool is a permant fixture in the tool holder , to cut internal or internal chamfers all that is required is to rotate the main tool holding block through 90 dergrees,or just change the position of the tool holder. this works well and will deal with most materials including brass on my Colchester.For the Myford I have have a similar set up with a long 5/16 square tool bit though I find that the top rake does not cope with brass so well so I also have a zero rake similar tool. when instrument making usual shop practice was to use a M&W 3 cornered triangular scraper for bores, mainly in brass turning, and a very fine 6 inch file for taking the edge off external corners ,sometimes a graver would be used if a sharper profile chamfer was required , personally I found the M &W scraper a bit too large ,so made a finer scraper from a 4 inch triangular file with a turned up wooden handle,60 years later I still have it. The long toolbit chamfer tool was not my idea,I found one in a box of tools donated to me,the property of a deceased toolmaker,its in constant use and have the Dickson holder visiblaly marked so that I can grab it quickly.

Ian Parkin06/08/2020 16:28:39
834 forum posts
202 photos

When i started this thread i suppose i was looking more for a tool for 45 degree chamfering rather than deburring

anyway after all your thoughts i bought this tool from chesterfield machine tools on works a treat and can do perhaps a 3mm internal chamfor.and much larger external chamfor3a17f94f-b230-4ef5-a756-f2ad7ed0618c.jpeg


JasonB06/08/2020 17:13:15
18649 forum posts
2049 photos
1 articles

Does not look like it gives a 45deg chamfer to me unless you were to mount the holder at an angle?

Something more like this that holds square inserts at 45deg would give what you say you wanted

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest