All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
not done it yet31/07/2020 07:17:52
4872 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Andrew Jenkins on 30/07/2020 20:59:14:

Hi Speedy

Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 30/07/2020 20:27:10:

Ov course a variable speed motor would help, but that is increased cost etc etc (and another potential source of problems).

Thanks for another useful tip! As you say a variable speed motor would be very useful but beyond my budget for now, maybe if i win the pools! laugh

Regards

Andy

No need for a big win on the pools. Second hand motors often come up on epay.

Item number: 363058563347 is simply an example I just found. Same for inverters. You just need to bide your time, for purchases that are not imperative at the immediately present time.

Andrew Jenkins31/07/2020 18:16:52
15 forum posts

Hi Bill

Posted by peak4 on 30/07/2020 21:47:37:

I'm broadly with Adrian 2 on the ability to swing the head on the round column, whilst it can be a pain, it also has a major advantage for those of us who do jobs which are too big for our machines.
I don't have the Warco you hope to receive, but have a Dore Westbury, which also has a round column.

I've just been recommissioning a Herbert grinder, and wanted to mill a flat on a casting which was longer than the travel on the table, by several inches.
By swivelling the head from one side to the other, I was able to complete the job without needing to move and re-clamp the workpiece, which would have been something of a nightmare as it's bigger than the mill table.

Swung to the left;Herbert Junior Surface Grinder recommissioning.

And swung to the right;

Herbert Junior Surface Grinder recommissioning.

I also have Centec, with a more conventional dovetail column design, but could never have done the job on that at all.

Do enjoy your new toy when you get it; if your first efforts don't go to plan, don't get disheartened; just come back and ask more questions.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 30/07/2020 21:49:57

Good to note that every design has its advantages aswell as disadvantages and thanks I will!

Regards

ANDY

Andrew Jenkins31/07/2020 18:20:52
15 forum posts

Hi Speedy

Posted by not done it yet on 31/07/2020 07:17:52:
Posted by Andrew Jenkins on 30/07/2020 20:59:14:

Hi Speedy

Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 30/07/2020 20:27:10:

Ov course a variable speed motor would help, but that is increased cost etc etc (and another potential source of problems).

Thanks for another useful tip! As you say a variable speed motor would be very useful but beyond my budget for now, maybe if i win the pools! laugh

Regards

Andy

No need for a big win on the pools. Second hand motors often come up on epay.

Item number: 363058563347 is simply an example I just found. Same for inverters. You just need to bide your time, for purchases that are not imperative at the immediately present time.

Point taken!

Regards

Andy

Robin01/08/2020 16:36:38
353 forum posts

I have the Warco Major RF something or other, I think it cost me £700 back around 1990.

There is a rumour that RF stands for Rong Fu, is that true or am I not getting a joke?

I am good at not getting jokes smiley

Michael Gilligan01/08/2020 17:37:29
16190 forum posts
706 photos

**LINK**

https://www.rongfu.com

Andrew Jenkins01/08/2020 18:05:28
15 forum posts

Hi Robin

Posted by Michael Gilligan on 01/08/2020 17:37:29:

**LINK**

https://www.rongfu.com

I think Michaels link proves it may not be a joke! Who'd of thought...

Cheers Michael for the link.

Regards

Andy

Steve Withnell01/08/2020 18:11:40
815 forum posts
217 photos

Warco Minor? I cut these bevel gears on mine and machined the cams for the Nemett four stroke. So the machine does work. You must put a DRO on the Z or it will drive you nuts!

p1030390.jpg

Andrew Jenkins01/08/2020 18:32:28
15 forum posts

Hi Steve

Posted by Steve Withnell on 01/08/2020 18:11:40:

Warco Minor? I cut these bevel gears on mine and machined the cams for the Nemett four stroke. So the machine does work. You must put a DRO on the Z or it will drive you nuts!

p1030390.jpg

Your not the first to mention equipping a DRO so its on the list of "Things to Do". Beautiful aero engine by the way.

Regards

Andy

Steve Withnell02/08/2020 11:50:41
815 forum posts
217 photos

Andy, this is how I added a DRO to the Minor. The DRO is simple type from Arceurotrade. Then I just took a piece of aluminium plate and bored a hole in it to be a slide fit over the spindle assembly. There is a caphead screw out of sight which acts as a locking screw to stop the plate swivelling.

The plate is then useful for hanging clocks off...but you lose the depth stop which I miss very rarely.

I drilled and tapped a hole for a mounting plate in the mill casting to hang the DRO off.

I have a graph somewhere of the the DRO readout plotted against the manual readout off the fine feed, apart from a stiction/backlash problem the graph wanders about all over the place!

mill.jpg

Andrew Jenkins03/08/2020 22:13:35
15 forum posts

Hi Steve

Posted by Steve Withnell on 02/08/2020 11:50:41:

Andy, this is how I added a DRO to the Minor. The DRO is simple type from Arceurotrade. Then I just took a piece of aluminium plate and bored a hole in it to be a slide fit over the spindle assembly. There is a caphead screw out of sight which acts as a locking screw to stop the plate swivelling.

The plate is then useful for hanging clocks off...but you lose the depth stop which I miss very rarely.

I drilled and tapped a hole for a mounting plate in the mill casting to hang the DRO off.

I have a graph somewhere of the the DRO readout plotted against the manual readout off the fine feed, apart from a stiction/backlash problem the graph wanders about all over the place!

mill.jpg

That looks really neat I may copy that!

Regards

Andy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest