By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

is it a flycutter ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan15/07/2020 14:08:28
15894 forum posts
693 photos

Here’s a little mystery tool




Looks like it should fit a carpenter's brace dont know

There’s a plain bore up the middle, but no separate clamping arrangement for anything inserted therein.

The clamping plate appears to be for a square section tool [and has been bent by abuse]

I’m sure I can make something useful from it ...but I wonder what it was.


Nicholas Wheeler 115/07/2020 14:12:38
334 forum posts
19 photos


Michael Gilligan15/07/2020 14:18:40
15894 forum posts
693 photos
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 15/07/2020 14:12:38:



I did wonder that ... but I don’t think I have ever seen one with an angled slot.

[ perhaps I have just led a sheltered life ]


Nick Clarke 315/07/2020 14:32:38
812 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 15/07/2020 14:18:40:

I did wonder that ... but I don’t think I have ever seen one with an angled slot.

[ perhaps I have just led a sheltered life ]


Michael -

If you told us whether it was bus shelters or air raid shelters we might be able to guess your age laugh

Take care,


MichaelR15/07/2020 14:32:57
376 forum posts
76 photos

Joiners wood plug cutter ?

Rob McSweeney15/07/2020 15:19:22
4 forum posts

Possibly an early form of combined drill/countersink? The absence of a screw to lock the drillbit rather speaks against that, unless the toolbit in the slot can bear down on the drill and lock it. Or, is the bottom of the hole threaded to hold a threaded drill shank?

Michael Gilligan15/07/2020 15:53:17
15894 forum posts
693 photos

More photos tomorrow

... I’m on tidying-up duties this afternoon sad


Oven Man15/07/2020 15:57:58
60 forum posts
6 photos

Does the screw also lock the drillbit?


Ady115/07/2020 16:39:22
3742 forum posts
519 photos

countersunk wood plugs?

bored up the middle for stability

Edited By Ady1 on 15/07/2020 16:40:48

Michael Gilligan15/07/2020 16:40:02
15894 forum posts
693 photos

Just realised that the square taper, being only single ... it’s more likely to be a plumber’s tool than something to fit a carpenter’s brace.

@Peter ... the screw couldn’t clamp both the plate and the drill [or pilot] effectively ... BUT now that I have separated the pieces, I note that the square cutter would clamp onto a flat on a drill shank [or a pilot]

As mentioned ... more photos tomorrow : but I’m now thinking it might have be for facing tap seats.


john halfpenny15/07/2020 16:49:53
38 forum posts
9 photos

A tool with plain shank and sideways peg would rotate into the slot and be retained by the plate. Clockwise rotation would keep the tool in the bit at the slot end, whilst perhaps drilling, screwing or cutting something, thus ensuring no rotational slippage of the tool in the bit. That implies much applied torque. Guess the tool?

Bazyle15/07/2020 17:26:58
5296 forum posts
201 photos

Pipe end deburring tool.

Bob Stevenson15/07/2020 18:34:53
411 forum posts
6 photos

I think this might be a barbed wire there a broad arrow mark?

john halfpenny15/07/2020 20:00:33
38 forum posts
9 photos

How about a tool for twisting wire strands together?

Michael Gilligan16/07/2020 17:16:36
15894 forum posts
693 photos

It seems evident from some of the replies, that my first photo was rather ambiguous

... apologies for that blush


Hopefully this one makes things clearer



The plain hole accepts an 8mm drill shank ; but I suspect it is nominally 5/16”

... because the tapped hole is 1/4” BSF and the body is 3/4” diameter

The ‘tooth’ is no such thing : it is simply the intersection of the square tool recess with the body

Grateful for any further suggestions


Neil Wyatt16/07/2020 17:44:02
17970 forum posts
709 photos
77 articles

If I am detecting circular wear on the conical surface I think a pipe deburring tool is plausible. Noting that a plumber doesn't need to deburr a large range fo pipe sizes.


Zan16/07/2020 21:52:58
166 forum posts
12 photos

My dad had one for cutting holes in aluminium home built amateur radio stuff in the 60’s. It’s used in a carpenters brace. A drill is mounted in the central hole which acted as a ilot. The cutter was bent at an angle so it was vertical at the end and sharpend ..wjhen pushed down the angled slot the diameter of the hole can be adjusted And clamped with the screw. I’d completely forgotten about it before this post!

NIALL HORN16/07/2020 22:11:15
31 forum posts
13 photos

Plumber's tank cutter from the days of galvanised water tanks?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest