By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Just for fun

What’s in a number, and where would we be without them?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer11/07/2020 17:32:13
5932 forum posts
1282 photos

Any advance on 53177187714? ( hILLBILLIES )

Nicholas Farr11/07/2020 20:34:27
2318 forum posts
1137 photos

Hi, my apologies to Derek Lane, as I have misspelt his name in my post of 11/7/2020 15:31:58 (bottom post on page 1) maybe a moderator can correct it.

Regards Nick.

Sam Stones12/07/2020 23:07:24
762 forum posts
304 photos

It’s likely to be a sign of our age when we can recall BBC announcers ‘on the wireless’, asking us to call Whitehall 1212 (Scotland Yard) if we wanted to report anything suspicious. I was too young at the start of WWII to understand the significance when I first heard it. I did know Billy, my friend down the road, had a secret he wouldn’t tell his mother about.

Regarding 6255456376, MichaelG, barking up the right tree as is so often the case, got it in one while allowing me a bit of chuckle time.

Other answers were coming close with ESSO.OIL and SHELL.OIL from older style upside-down calculators.

However, insomniacs and night-time clock-watchers might realise that the numbers represent the number of segments displayed for 0 to 9 in the seven bit numerals of a digital clock etc.

7-segment.jpg

If sleeping doesn’t come easily, and the digital clock is in full view, what about those other number patterns? For example, 232, or 555, or 437, or 327, or 127, or … has anyone still got their 1250 or done a 252?

Well, counting sheep is so old fashioned.

Keep safe,

Sam

Nicholas Farr13/07/2020 08:30:09
2318 forum posts
1137 photos

Hi Sam, the number 505 on an old style seven segment display will look the same both ways and can be interpreted as SOS which ever way up you look at it.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest