By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Disposing of a Lathe and (many) related items

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Ireland10/07/2020 18:35:44
2 forum posts

Dispose, isn't really the right word - my Father passed away last year and we're now starting to go through his workshop and considerable collection of model engineering tools.

The main item is a fine condition Myford super 7 and various attachments.

I have some details and photo graphs but in terms of pricing items for sale etc I've no real idea, was wondering if anyone could offer advice rather than me putting up inaccurate classified adverts.

The workshop is in Clevedon, Somerset. We'll be down there next weekend (17-19 July) if anyone was interested or can suggest things I should check for to help decide price.

Myford Super-7 lathe (fully working, drive belts etc look to be in good condition)

ML7 4304-160 4 jaw independant chuck KTM 0642 543 040 403
Arand boring head 50-120I
Arand fly cutter 3" 60-120
Pratt Burnerd 3 jaw lathe chuck 4" 1588-10130
Myford fixed steady 1412
Myford green travelling steady 1413
Myford dividing attachment 1495, plates 1 & 2 TBC (161445 written on box)
V1106 round clamp thing?
box of additional/spare gears

There are also numerous books and other small tools

I've got various photos of the pieces but don't want to spam the forum!

Thanks for any input, apologies this is a bit vague and 'catch-all'!

Tony Pratt 110/07/2020 20:28:31
1149 forum posts
5 photos

You can do no better than having a look on Ebay [advanced search, sold items] to see the current state of the strong Myford market. From your brief description maybe sell as one lot, I'm sure others will chip in?

Tony

Andy Carlson10/07/2020 21:16:28
259 forum posts
105 photos

Sounds like you are already very well organised so keep it up.

Figure out what 'belongs' with the lathe and whether there are any other big ticket items that would make sense as a separate sale... other machines, sets of taps and dies for example.

I'm sure if you have any 'what on earth is this?' questions then you can ask them on here without annoying anyone.

Hopper11/07/2020 01:49:14
4654 forum posts
101 photos

There is a Super 7 for sale in this site's classifieds right now so that might be an idea of a possible asking price. The suggested eBay sold items advanced search might give a better actual selling price guide.

Most of the accessories you list are probably best sold with the lathe as part of the basic kit. Chucks and steadies usually came with the lathe at time of original purchase, albeit perhaps at extra cost. The "extra" gears are most likely the change gears that are an essential part of the basic lathe for cutting threads and should be sold with the lathe to save the buyer a headache tracking down replacements.

You might sell the dividing attachment and plates etc as a separate deal. They are worth quite a bit on their own and are a "deluxe" extra rather than part of the basic lathe kit. On the other hand, if included with the lathe would sweeten the deal and possibly expedite the sale of the whole lot in one go.

David Ireland11/07/2020 17:53:42
2 forum posts

Many thanks for all the advice, I'll take a look at the other adverts etc and then draw some up.

Hopper15/07/2020 12:21:47
4654 forum posts
101 photos

I have to say, looking at the pics linked to in the classified ad you have now posted, that looks to be an very nice example of the S7. Obviously lovingly cared for and well kitted out. Someone will get good use out of that lot. Your dad was obviously an accomplished model engineer from the various engines in the pics. Real heirloom pieces those.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest