Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Back issues & Flash plugin

The Flash plugin is discontinued.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Edward Dembowski08/07/2020 15:07:09
1 forum posts

Now that the Flash plugin is being discontinued due to continual security issues, will there be another way to access back issues online? It seems everything from issue 277 and older needs Flash to be enabled.

Brian G09/07/2020 12:47:59
705 forum posts
28 photos

Bumped because I would also like to know if the archive will be re-issued. Since this was first raised back in 2017 there has been a format change for the newest content but it is still required to view most of the archive and Microsoft's announcement that "Flash will be completely removed from all browsers by December 31, 2020, via Windows Update." does appear pretty final.

Brian G

Graham Stoppani10/07/2020 05:27:52
76 forum posts
13 photos

Ditto

JasonB10/07/2020 07:25:01
18318 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

I expect Neil's reply from a couple of months ago still stands.

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/04/2020 20:40:04:

The problem is the archives are not a significant source of income, at present they are added value for what is still a relatively modest number of people who prefer a digital subscription. Partly this is because pirate digital copies of archive issues have effectively removed the potential value of a rejuvenated archive.

At one point we were close to an official DVD of the archive, but the sums didn't add up.

Because there's always the potential for the archive to become unworkable, the T&Cs say that continued access to is not guaranteed and I fear that if the choice was between investing in converting it to HTML5 of phasing it out, the business case would almost certainly be in favour of the latter.

Fortunately I am sure there will continue to be ways to run flash (although only 5% of websites use it now, down from 28% in 2011) for the forseeable future, but I'm afraid the onus will be on readers to seek these ways out.

So my advice is grit your teeth and find flash player/browser combination that works for you; I know it isn't ideal but it is doable.

What we can do is create a page with links to reliable flash players/browsers for viewing the archive on different platforms.

We have some suggestions already. If folks would like to post more links to what they recommend/use here, I'll create a page when there are enough suggestions for it to be worth doing.

Neil

Michael Gilligan10/07/2020 08:50:50
15883 forum posts
693 photos
Posted by JasonB on 10/07/2020 07:25:01:

I expect Neil's reply from a couple of months ago still stands.

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 20/04/2020 20:40:04:

The problem is the archives are not a significant source of income, at present they are added value for what is still a relatively modest number of people who prefer a digital subscription. Partly this is because pirate digital copies of archive issues have effectively removed the potential value of a rejuvenated archive.

[…]

So my advice is grit your teeth and find flash player/browser combination that works for you; I know it isn't ideal but it is doable.

What we can do is create a page with links to reliable flash players/browsers for viewing the archive on different platforms.

[…]

... and if that is the best that can be done, then the Print edition of MEW remains my choice, and archival storage my responsibility.

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt11/07/2020 10:02:21
17970 forum posts
709 photos
77 articles
Posted by Brian G on 09/07/2020 12:47:59:

Bumped because I would also like to know if the archive will be re-issued. Since this was first raised back in 2017 there has been a format change for the newest content but it is still required to view most of the archive and Microsoft's announcement that "Flash will be completely removed from all browsers by December 31, 2020, via Windows Update." does appear pretty final.

Brian G

Microsoft can only remove flash players from their own browsers...

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest