Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

screw cutting

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
geoff adams06/07/2020 18:00:12
177 forum posts
196 photos

so i want to screw cut threads on cnc lathe g code no problem. carbide tip tool holders do you need a different holder for every thread ie metric coarse metric fine. one tool holder and different tips or two tool holders ? also need to cut 1/2 32 tpi thread do i need a another tool holder very confused any help please many thanks ( shank size 12mm)

Geoff

JasonB06/07/2020 18:28:58
18329 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

Depends how fussy you are. Inserts come in two main types - full form and partial form. Full will have the correct radius to form the crests and valleys so you need one for each pitch. Partial will cut a deeper more angular valley and the crests may need a quick dressing with a file but one insert will cover a range of pitches.

One holder will take various inserts - full partial. metric UN, etc

If your 1/2 x 32 is an ME thread then you will need 55deg inserts, if UNC then you could get away with partial metric or a specific full form 12tpi UNC insert

old mart07/07/2020 17:47:25
1829 forum posts
148 photos

With a tool shank of 12mm, you are limited to 11 ER & NR, and 16 ER & NR laydown inserts. The thread pitches overlap the two sizes of toolholder available to you in both internal and external types. A good source of inserts which are available singly is APT which are very good and not too expensive.

geoff adams07/07/2020 18:19:44
177 forum posts
196 photos

thanks guys

rotagrip sorted me out with tool holder and tips be here in two three days will do everything i need

many thanks Geoff

Neil Lickfold07/07/2020 20:45:57
621 forum posts
102 photos

Some holders come with different shims for different helix angle ranges for the thread being cut. Also there is a shim for left hand threads as well. Often companies will have in their catalog the helix angle range of that shim number for their holders. Well worth while to read about it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
EngineDIY
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest