Britannia Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
SillyOldDuffer06/07/2020 17:22:26
5921 forum posts
1281 photos
Posted by Stueeee on 06/07/2020 16:02:32:
Posted by James Smith 22 on 05/07/2020 21:12:47:

Also does anybody know where i can buy replacement carbide tips for my insert tools? Dave said earlier to use HSS, can you get HSS inserts?

The insert tooling i have

Thanks

James

Most of those tools will take CCMT 0602xx inserts (the xx is the corner radius) like these: lEAAOSw7P9bdDwP">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCMT-060204-P20-30-Indexable-Carbide-Inserts-For-Machining-Turning-Steel/183380732175?hash=item2ab257e90f:glEAAOSw7P9bdDwP

Never seen HSS versions.

HSS inserts exist but they're hard to find. HSS really requires grinding blanks, which not everyone is good at! (But practice helps.)

The inserts linked to by Stueee are for steel. I use them most of the time because they're robust, and switch to this sort for Aluminium if needed to get a decent finish. They work well on steel at slow speeds because they're sharper, but take care because they're also more delicate.

The type linked to is just an example because buying cheap inserts from ebay is risky - they may not be good enough. I've never tried that supplier. I prefer to buy from UK hobby suppliers because their stuff is mid-range, and not as expensive as industrial-grade inserts. ebay ranges from genuine bargain to complete rubbish, so a bit of a gamble!

Part of the fun is learning how to get the best out of your lathe, and knowing when top-quality isn't needed! For example, a shaft on an exhibition engine needs a much better finish than the end of a rod turned down for a force fit on the same engine.

Play with it and experiment. Don't be disheartened if results are poor at first, it takes time - Turners did 7 year Apprenticeships!

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 06/07/2020 17:23:16

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
ChesterUK
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest