A steam engine driving an electric generator

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
geoff walker 105/07/2020 16:09:39
414 forum posts
159 photos

I can't stop looking at this engine.

Small details catch the eye.

The twisted con rod, the soft edges on the valve coupling, the fluted column.

Sumptuous. Like many others I eagerly anticipate more details

Geoff

Nigel (egi)06/07/2020 21:14:04
53 forum posts
8 photos

Thanks for all of the kind words, after lots of days in the workshop working on a model it is great to have such kind feedback, makes it all worthwhile.

Thought I would share an image of the marking out of the lantern, quite simple once I realised I could scribe a few arcs to lay out the basic upper and lower dimensions. Then, as you can see there are a number of arcs used to set out the fundamental dimensions.I practised laying out the design on paper before moving to brass sheet.

Note: I tend to use a large permanent marker rather than engineers blue as it can be a tad cleaner.

Mick B106/07/2020 22:43:14
1611 forum posts
86 photos

Attractive, fun and instructive model - very nice.

Simon Collier06/07/2020 22:47:07
355 forum posts
56 photos

Beautitiful and different engine. Being a model it would surely have to be published in Model Engineer. I wonder why Jim C suggested MEW, perhaps because he subscribes to it?

Michael Gilligan06/07/2020 22:56:13
15886 forum posts
693 photos
Posted by Simon Collier on 06/07/2020 22:47:07:

[…]

Being a model it would surely have to be published in Model Engineer. I wonder why Jim C suggested MEW, perhaps because he subscribes to it?

Maybe he wants to use one that size as a work-light on his lathe or mill

... then ‘surely’ it would need to be in MEW devil

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 06/07/2020 22:58:35

Jim C07/07/2020 09:02:33
69 forum posts
4 photos

Guilty as charged Simon, I do indeed subscribe to MEW. Interesting use as a work light. An improvement perhaps on the current candle power !! I am unsure of the demarcation between the two magazines ? The Lamp Post engine would certainly have some interesting machine setups and manufacturing problems to solve which I though would lean to MEW. Besides that, it would make for an interesting article in said magazine. Just my thoughts.

Nigel (egi)07/07/2020 16:45:33
53 forum posts
8 photos

So, what is the process for 1. a request for an article in ME or MEW? 2. for writing the article?

Cheers, Nigel

David George 107/07/2020 19:49:06
1262 forum posts
438 photos

Nigel can you give me a little more information on the motor. DC? Brushed or brushless? Approx size as I don't want to spend a long time waiting for a delivery and getting the wrong one as the only two small motors I have barely give out 0.5 volts.

David

Nigel (egi)07/07/2020 20:44:32
53 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by David George 1 on 07/07/2020 19:49:06:

Nigel can you give me a little more information on the motor. DC? Brushed or brushless? Approx size as I don't want to spend a long time waiting for a delivery and getting the wrong one as the only two small motors I have barely give out 0.5 volts.

David

Hi David, the motor I used is 24mm in diameter and 12mm deep. I found a similar one in a Christmas card that blows snow around a bubble of plastic: The gearing from the flywheel is around 8:1. Hope this helps, Nigel

Jim C08/07/2020 14:45:19
69 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Nigel. Not sure how you go about producing an article. You need one of the moderators to come along and inform you. As an alternative, you could post some drawings in your photos page and we could get started on it as I am sure a few on here would give it a go. Cheers.

Journeyman08/07/2020 15:07:36
805 forum posts
141 photos

Info on preparation of articles for publication is *** HERE *** this is for MEW but presumably similar for ME.

John

John Olsen08/07/2020 23:01:27
1049 forum posts
91 photos
1 articles

There is a pack that Neil Wyatt could email to you with all the information you need, including forms to provide the detail they need to pay you. Yes, they do pay for articles, you would probably not want to live only on the proceeds of writing for ME or MEW, but it does make a nice little incentive.

You could write this up in several different ways, for example a short article with a few photos of the finished article, or a longer series with drawings. For the latter you would want some photos of the various machining setups, which can be awkward if you didn't take them at the time.

Sometimes people are a bit shy about writing, which is a pity as I think we miss out on some interesting stuff because of this. You don't have to be Shakespeare to write for these magazines, so don't be afraid to give it a go. It is a nice model.

regards

John

Sam Stones10/07/2020 03:16:14
762 forum posts
304 photos

Nigel,

I sent you a couple of MPs

Sam

Martin King 210/07/2020 08:02:47
692 forum posts
271 photos
Posted by Sam Stones on 10/07/2020 03:16:14:

Nigel,

I sent you a couple of MPs

Sam

Good for you Sam, far too many at Westminster...... I'll get me coat smiley

Cheers, Martin

Nigel (egi)10/07/2020 21:48:16
53 forum posts
8 photos

Hi All, lots of interest in drawings and so I thought I would share with you all a simple plan for the lantern main frame to see if this would meet your standards. I'm not great at CAD and I find it therapeutic to use an old fashioned drawing board, scan it in and then add nice text (my handwriting is like a spiders scrawl).

A lot more to do, but would be grateful for some feedback, thanks, Nigel

PS: uploaded image to here so that you should be able to click and zoom in

lantern-drawing.jpg

Edited By Nigel (egi) on 10/07/2020 21:48:50

Edited By Nigel (egi) on 10/07/2020 21:49:58

Edited By Nigel (egi) on 10/07/2020 22:14:32

Jim C11/07/2020 15:43:50
69 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Nigel.

The development drawing looks ok to me and clearly worked for you. Did you use a sheet metal folder for the fold lines when producing the shape ? Cheers, Jim.

Speedy Builder511/07/2020 17:37:25
2030 forum posts
144 photos

Nigel, it may have been easier to have used an adjustable set square using an edge of the sheet as your datum line, but full marks for the method you used.

Nigel (egi)11/07/2020 21:40:10
53 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Jim C on 11/07/2020 15:43:50:

Hi Nigel.

The development drawing looks ok to me and clearly worked for you. Did you use a sheet metal folder for the fold lines when producing the shape ? Cheers, Jim.

Hi Jim, I made my own clamp to file and fold to. Image below of the clamp

clamp for filing and folding

When folding I had to work outwards from the centre fold. For the folding process I clamped the one side and used a wide piece of steel that I could force the edge over with.

John MC13/07/2020 12:24:52
293 forum posts
38 photos

I've shown this thread to my partner, the reaction was "thats pretty, it would make a lovely Christmas table decoration"!

As we all know, when ones partner makes a comment like that its a request to make one. A look in the box of things that might be useful has found a small slide valve cylinder, a possibly usable flywheel and a small motor that may be suitable as a generator.

I'm looking forward to building my take on the "lamp post engine", a make it up as I go along project. Anyone else having a go?

John

Nigel (egi)13/07/2020 20:34:48
53 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by John MC on 13/07/2020 12:24:52:

I've shown this thread to my partner, the reaction was "thats pretty, it would make a lovely Christmas table decoration"!

As we all know, when ones partner makes a comment like that its a request to make one. A look in the box of things that might be useful has found a small slide valve cylinder, a possibly usable flywheel and a small motor that may be suitable as a generator.

I'm looking forward to building my take on the "lamp post engine", a make it up as I go along project. Anyone else having a go?

John

Hi John, fantastic, my engine was made up as I went along, but based on an engine I saw from Malpress Peake. Do share details as you progress. Best regards, Nigel

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest