By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Pudney05/07/2020 03:36:28
454 forum posts
16 photos

You may have already made your mind up, so for what it's worth.....I got a Sieg X2 years ago when it was about the only thing available. It has a tilting column. I have NEVER used the tilting column facility. I did set it up very carefully when new, and now check it a couple of times a year. One day I intend to make it a bit better than one big thread to hold the column vertical!!

cheers

Bill

Paul Kemp05/07/2020 13:29:04
514 forum posts
18 photos

I have two mills, one with a tilting column and one with a tilting head. The former I can only remember tilting the column once. The latter I tilt the head all the time, granted its bit bigger than your average hobby machine but in terms of say drilling steam passages in the cylinder of my 6" scale TE or drilling the stud holes in the saddle (radial) I would have needed a pretty massive tilting table and setting up for each hole would have been pretty time consuming! I don't find any particular problem tramming it back to vertical. If constrained by space (as I am at home) and if starting over I would definitely go for a tilting head over a tilting column.

Paul.

Roger Best05/07/2020 15:03:15
35 forum posts
5 photos

Hi guys

Ta Bill, I have not made up my mind, have you been happy with the X2? If you did need to up-size, what features would you want based on your experience so far?

Thanks Paul, I note that only the smallest machines tilt the column, it sounds like a double argument for a slightly larger machine.

Stuart Smith 505/07/2020 18:17:31
101 forum posts
25 photos

Roger

As I said in my previous post, I have a Warco WM16, but if you are considering the Axminster 2.7, I suggest you look at Arceurotrade. They sell Sieg made machines and are generally cheaper than Axminster and have a good reputation. See their Sieg SX2.7. **LINK**

Stuart

Steve Withnell05/07/2020 18:30:09
810 forum posts
217 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 02/07/2020 00:18:50:

My Warco minor mill drill fits on a 2x2 bench. They don't stock them anymore just the bigger Major but the equivalents from several importers appear on ebay every week. Perfectly adequate for small work though people like to moan about round column mills. Tilting head is just another thing to go out of true. Tilting vice is dead cheap.

I still have my Warco minor and won't part with it. If you fit a DRO to the Z-axis and think through the machining process when setting up it's perfectly sound. It's also a very good co-ordinate drilling machine. One benefit is that it runs slow enough to cut gears (I've used mine to cut small bevel gears) and run slitting saws.

Good workhorse!

I agree, tilting the work during setup is a better option.

Roger Best05/07/2020 21:19:19
35 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Stuart,

The SX2.7L has a useful table, it makes the Axminster version look very small.

Thanks Steve

Its nice to know that the smaller machines are adequate for challenging work.

Roger Best11/07/2020 21:49:08
35 forum posts
5 photos

Hi folks

I have finally been able to get some woodwork done and the depth of the bench is now 500mm.

I have had a good look at the SX2.7L, there is a fair chance it will fit. A 3.5 is just too big.

The Warco WM16B is looking very attractive, its drip tray would fit on the bench,as its only 482 deep, 520 wide according to the website. I have been in contact and they are opening the demo room with gloves and masks mandatory, so I will pop over when I can.

Its obvious that the Sieg has a deeper vertical casting which is bound to make it stiffer. At the moment the decision may be based on Warco being over an hour closer to my home.

I have had a look on ebay, but "affordable" machines seem to be trashed, the rest seem a lot of money compared to a new Chinese machine with a warranty.

Thanks for all the help, I will report what happens when I get round there, hopefully in a couple of weeks. . laugh

Nick Clarke 312/07/2020 09:29:30
811 forum posts
28 photos
Posted by Roger Best on 04/07/2020 22:38:03:

So on the basis that I don't want to have to upgrade in the future, I want good quality, I want to buy new, rather than fix up an old machine, I will be keeping to the smaller end of the model engineering, 3 1/2" gauge rail and probably 2" or smaller 3" scale traction engines, what machine should I get?? laugh

Thanks for all of your advice.

If you only need the capacity to work on 3½" gauge locos then quite a small mill will do the job, but the larger you go the more rigid and powerful a machine is what you will get, all to the good. I suspect that your traction engines might demand a larger machine.

If you are buying new many machines are clones of others so you now need to consider cost and customer service from the supplier - always remembering that it would be unusual for any one customer to have bought several milling machines of about the same size from different suppliers, so you will only ever get partial answers - someone who has had good service from one supplier has not necessarily had bad service from all of the others, and vice versa.

JasonB12/07/2020 10:09:03
18305 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

The SX2.7 standard length table is actully 45mm longer than my next machine up X3 and that coped easily with a large 2" traction engine.

SX2.7 looks like it was made to fit a 500mm benchsmiley

20200712_100354[1].jpg

Roger Best12/07/2020 10:54:36
35 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Nick

I have noted the multiple clones, there was even a German-branded version on UK Ebay the other week. Service and support is paramount to me when we are considering modest quality items.

Thanks Jason, that is exactly what l was looking for, its a shame the vendors don't think about such practicalities.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Allendale Electronics
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest