By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

WM250 Sticky Carriage

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Laycock 128/06/2020 23:38:24
3 forum posts

I have a new Warco 250V Lathe and when manually winding the carriage along the bed there are three to four areas where it becomes 'stiff' and difficult to wind by hand. Can anyone recommend a solution to this please.

Hopper29/06/2020 00:00:12
4654 forum posts
101 photos

If the carriage hand wheel is in the same position at every tight spot it is probably the pinion gear on the back of it a bit off centre. Adjusting the position of the rack for more clearance should help.

Otherwise, run a fine flat file carefully over the bed to make sure any burrs are knocked off both flat surfaces and corners. And slather the bed with oil. Whatever oil you have will get you started. You can get proper hydraulic oil or way oil later.

Paul Kemp29/06/2020 00:41:00
515 forum posts
18 photos

Agree it may be the carriage pinion as above. However you say it's new? Is that brand new, straight from Warco? If so I would be on the phone to them. I also wouldn't put anything harsher than a fine stone to the bed, if it's got lumps on it big enough to warrant a file there is a serious quality problem!

Paul.

Hopper29/06/2020 01:48:40
4654 forum posts
101 photos

Well if it has lumps big enough to bind the carriage we already have a quality problem. A fine flat file is what i have used on cheap Chinese lathes with similar problems in the past. You are not filing down high spots. Just removing burrs. The manufacturors leave some pretty raggedy sharp edges on the corners of the bed ways at the factory in some cases. Straight off the grinder with no hand fitting or QC i would conclude. A lick with a fine file and they are good as gold.

It could also be that the lift plates on the bottom of the carriage are binding on the underside of the bedways. If removing the burrs there does not fix that then best to talk to Warco if its under warranty. 

Edited By Hopper on 29/06/2020 01:56:18

Edited By Hopper on 29/06/2020 02:11:07

Steve Neighbour29/06/2020 05:08:47
51 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Martin Laycock 1 on 28/06/2020 23:38:24:

"I have a new Warco 250V Lathe"

You were lucky to get one !

I've had one on order since 1st week of May, still no luck frown

Edited By Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2020 05:09:24

JasonB29/06/2020 07:26:57
18318 forum posts
2024 photos
1 articles

Is the carriage lock fully undone?

not done it yet29/06/2020 07:34:51
4744 forum posts
16 photos

The pinion gear should be properly centred. Shifting the rack is not a proper repair - the correction should be to fit either a concentric gear or a straight shaft, whichever may be at fault.

Stoning may be acceptable to remove burs. Files should be kept well away from machined surfaces such as this (unless the bed is harder than the file).

If the machine is new and under warranty, consult the supplier, not start making potentially damaging bodges. If it is a second hand purchase, I would suspect the pinion shaft has been bent, especially if those tight spots are evenly distanced along the bed.

Clearly more detailed info from the OP might have helped provide more accurate/precise responses.

Bo'sun29/06/2020 08:18:23
152 forum posts
Posted by Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2020 05:08:47:
Posted by Martin Laycock 1 on 28/06/2020 23:38:24:

"I have a new Warco 250V Lathe"

You were lucky to get one !

I've had one on order since 1st week of May, still no luck frown

Edited By Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2020 05:09:24

I suspect Warco are awaiting quite a large shipment from the Far East, as they are "out of stock" of quite a lot of products. I'm waiting for a WM240 and some tooling.

Mick B129/06/2020 08:55:58
1610 forum posts
86 photos

One possibility is that someone in testing has run the power feed against a locked carriage, and bent the carriage pinion shank.

That's what I did within a week of receiving my WM250V.

You can fix it with a crowbar, thus:-

crowbar fix 1.jpg

Use the toe-end of the crowbar, and wind the carriage as far as you can toward the tailstock, and stop at the stiffest sticking-point.

crowbar fix 2.jpg

Set the toe of the crowbar against the top of the pinion shank, and lever upwards to bend the pinion downwards, out of tight mesh. Use moderate force.

Of course your lathe is new and you mayn't want to try that - but my WM250 hasn't shown any problems - other than of my own making - since I did that, and it cured the sticking carriage completely and with no side-effects.

So you might save yourself a good deal of hassle with a few minutes' experimentation.

Howard Lewis29/06/2020 09:04:38
3388 forum posts
2 photos

If it is a new machine, having oiled the bedways, and checked that the Saddle lock is free, I would talk to Warco, rather than do anything that would void the warranty.

If the pinion is off centre on its shaft, or the shaft is bent, that is for the supplier to correct, if only as an absolute minimum, by supplying a new shaft, for you to fit.

If it is like my older larger Chinese lathe, the pinion is integral, with teeth being cut into the shaft.

Howard .

Edited By Howard Lewis on 29/06/2020 09:05:22

Martin Laycock 129/06/2020 09:11:12
3 forum posts

Many thanks for your suggestions; the carriage lock is fully undone and the hand wheel is not binding. I was hoping for a quick fix, though it seems to be not the case; I thought I would try the forum before contacting Warco. I've had the lathe for a couple of weeks, but only placed it into position in the last few days, it's now cleaned, oiled up and ready to go. I cannot understand why I received one before Bo'sun though! Thanks once again for your help.

Whoops . .  Neighbour not Bo'sun.

Edited By Martin Laycock 1 on 29/06/2020 09:18:48

Journeyman29/06/2020 09:42:51
805 forum posts
141 photos

Might be worth checking the rear gib strip that runs along the rear of the saddle and hooks under the bed to prevent saddle lift. Mine was loose perhaps yours is too tight. Held in place by 5 allen screws as I recall.

John

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest